Where to find a labourer?

lord_seagrave

I've given up !! 

We tried for 6-8weeks to get someone to come and paint our garden fences .

Did have 2 people come and quote £600 & £750 and we've already got all the paint . Fences are normal 6ft high 6" wide boards .

After getting the paramedics to restart my heart I politely declined and sent them on their way . 

Next idea was to offer the young lad along the street £50 + dinner a day .... his reply was "oh yea no problems I'll come along on Saturday and start " we're still waiting ! .

So sodit I got the brush & roller out and 2.5 days later & 2 coats of paint its done ... inc a sun burnt head ... 

Thanks chaps,

I think I naively assumed there was some sort of electronic labour exchange/market place for this kind of thing. I’m willing to pay the going rate (can’t expect a stranger to do it for pocket money).

I’ll have a mooch on social meedjah and see how I get on. Meanwhile, if anyone in Milton Keynes want half a day barrowing and raking topsoil on Friday - drop me a line!

LS

I wouldn’t have anyone round my gaff I didn’t know or wasn’t from a reputable established business, else you’re opening your door to trouble.

If you’re pushed, get on Facey and ask for  Uni student who may have finished their exams and be looking for some money - I’ve got a son of a friend (second year Uni, exams done for the year) down at my Felixstowe B2L sanding all the doors and skirting and filling skips. 

I know several lads with trades who’ve get fed up of people asking them to do “5 minute jobs” for “beer money”. 

Often have to give up time / another job to come and do the mates rates job … 

I have learned that the real mates will pay you your actual rate if they want you to do a proper job…

14 hours ago, hodge911 said:

I've given up !! 

We tried for 6-8weeks to get someone to come and paint our garden fences .

Did have 2 people come and quote £600 & £750 and we've already got all the paint . Fences are normal 6ft high 6" wide boards .

After getting the paramedics to restart my heart I politely declined and sent them on their way . 

Next idea was to offer the young lad along the street £50 + dinner a day .... his reply was "oh yea no problems I'll come along on Saturday and start " we're still waiting ! .

So sodit I got the brush & roller out and 2.5 days later & 2 coats of paint its done ... inc a sun burnt head ... 

Works out about minimum wage (depending on how many hours worked per day). 

I think the days of finding some kid to do those kind of jobs for a bit of pocket money are pretty much long gone. 

6 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Works out about minimum wage (depending on how many hours worked per day). 

I think the days of finding some kid to do those kind of jobs for a bit of pocket money are pretty much long gone. 

agree in principle.. 

But the prices quoted were I.M.O stupidly high .

I have a bad back problem for which I've had surgery which has left problems.

It took me as long to do as I can only do it for a couple of hours before pain reaches the point where I need to stop .

It would of took a "fit & healthy" person a good day of say 6-8 hours . Devide their quotes by that and its way higher then minimum wage....

34 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

You've obviously been to the Abbott school of mathematics.  Even based on 10 hour days and lowest quote this is getting on for 3 times NMW at £24 per hour.

£50 per day plus a bit of food? (Quite obviously the part I was referring to)… 

9-5 ( 50/8 = £6.25 per hour). Minimum wage for an 18-20 year old is £6.56. 
So less than min wage… if the person is any older it’s even worse. 

Assuming your 10 hour day it’s £5 an hour … so 40p an hour over the going rate that you would pay a child… 

Hence me saying the days of paying a young person a few quid for that sort of job are long gone. 

You would have had to of gone to the Abbott school of logic to think I was talking about the £600-750 quote for painting the fence being minimum wage …

36 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

agree in principle.. 

But the prices quoted were I.M.O stupidly high .

I have a bad back problem for which I've had surgery which has left problems.

It took me as long to do as I can only do it for a couple of hours before pain reaches the point where I need to stop .

It would of took a "fit & healthy" person a good day of say 6-8 hours . Devide their quotes by that and its way higher then minimum wage....

I was on about the kid. (I thought that was obvious)…

Issue for the tradesman is they have to run a business it’s not Just a few quid for an odd job. 

We know an odd job man who will do jobs like you want he charges £15 an hour and turns his hand to most things. He’s retired and mostly does it for something to do. 

Try and find someone who’s retired for that sort of thing, although we found the quality from a professional VS an odd job man does show. 

22 hours ago, hodge911 said:

Did have 2 people come and quote £600 & £750

at C£25 per panel - you could have replaced 24-30 panels with new for that (plus the cost of the paint/ancillaries). I decided years ago to not paint our panels - we have a stretch of 7 panels that I need to replace at some point as these are still painted from the build of the house but some of these have plants/bushes etc in front of them so are barely seen, the others are down the side of the house that aren't visible.

If in 10 years some panels need replacing so bit it - but imagine the time saved over the years not having to paint them

It's now done and it cost me some pain and a sunburned nappa .... but hey it's done (2 coats) ..... the lad I was on about is a school kid and was on school holidays .. 

I don't think £50 + dinner a day was a bad offer for him to earn some pocket money ..... I'm sure some of our eastern European car wash men earn a lot less .... beggar I should of went to get the car washed and asked them .... lol

7 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

My client wanted a labourer to clear site for two days, asked me this morning and now arranged for tomorrow £65 per day 0900 to 1500. He is in the 18-21 category so just above minimum wage.

9am - 3pm for £65 per day = £10.83 an hour. Well above minimum for a 18-20 year old. 

3 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

.... I'm sure some of our eastern European car wash men earn a lot less .... beggar I should of went to get the car washed and asked them .... lol

You mean those blokes who are human trafficked into the country and work 10+ hours a day for £30 ?