PRS

Rewulf

As soon as the variation comes back for my Creedmoor, and Ive acclimatised and worked a load up, Im quite interested in getting into precision rifle, does anyone do this ?

It might well not be till next year that Im ready to compete,  but Ive already started looking at events, and they are all a fair distance from Notts ?
I can get out to 5-600 yards on one of my permissions to practice safely, but I was just interested if anyone local ish knew any proper ranges that arent half a days drive away ?

Thorpe cloud have a 500 yard range , but it looks like it may be a bit restrictive on what days it can be used, I certainly dont mind joining the NRA to do so.
Diggle sounds similar.
Bisley I dont know much about , what is it like , is it accessible for a novice 1000 yard shooter ?

I particularly like the idea of the open comps at the RMPRA in Devon , and SIS  at Eskdalemuir, but both of these are 5 + hours away.

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Would you have access to Beckenham?

Forgot all about Beckenham !
One of my clubs used to go regularly , Ive never been,  I forget why they stopped ?
Seem to remember the costs got prohibitive because it was taken over by G4S  or something like that ?

Ill do some research cheers :good:

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Forgot all about Beckenham !
One of my clubs used to go regularly , Ive never been,  I forget why they stopped ?
Seem to remember the costs got prohibitive because it was taken over by G4S  or something like that ?

Ill do some research cheers :good:

I know it was a bloody long way round to put the red flags up or down. Always sent a willing volunteer!:cool1:

When we talk about precision rifle are we talking about one man and his rifle, standing or prone or are we talking about where you put a rifle on a bench and fix it down as much as possible so all you have to do is pull the trigger? As well as computers for wind strength etc? :innocent: Morning folks.

19 minutes ago, toxo said:

How much is same same? Rifles, load, distance?

Not sure what you mean ?

Class is open , you can use whatever (within reason) you like.
The rifles used in the clip are displayed, and the distance shown , this clip is at 400  and 590 metres , 1 minute to do 6 shots on a  2 plates.

Edited by Rewulf

27 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Not sure what you mean ?

Class is open , you can use whatever (within reason) you like.
The rifles used in the clip are displayed, and the distance shown , this clip is at 400  and 590 metres , 1 minute to do 6 shots on a  2 plates.

What I mean is what's the same for everyone in their class. Or is it a mini Vs a Ferrari on the same size target?

8 minutes ago, toxo said:

What I mean is what's the same for everyone in their class. Or is it a mini Vs a Ferrari on the same size target?

When I used to do field archery each target was different. Your foot had to be touching the peg which sometimes meant there was a tree in front of you and you had to lean to one side to loose. Some targets uphill some downhill. Every target a different size and distance. A great test of skill and ability. Is there such a test in shooting?  

I've only ever been interested in pest control and "normal" target shooting leaves me cold. 

26 minutes ago, toxo said:

Open class means really what it says , using what you have against what they have , the leveller is the positional aspect, recoil, and skill at arms against the clock.

A Ferrari might be great at top speed and cornering on good surfaces, but it wouldnt beat the mini off road , or squeezing into tight spots ?

Like wise , the heavier calibres might have the legs for some of the longer shots, but generally speaking its not the be all when it comes to recoil ect in some of those positions.
A decent scope will help obviously , but higher mags could be an issue when it comes to target acquisition at longer range, time is also an issue.

7 minutes ago, toxo said:

When I used to do field archery each target was different. Your foot had to be touching the peg which sometimes meant there was a tree in front of you and you had to lean to one side to loose. Some targets uphill some downhill. Every target a different size and distance. A great test of skill and ability. Is there such a test in shooting?  

Field archery involves some range estimation, a little like HFT air rifle shooting, in this form of PRS  , you know the range and get to adjust your scope accordingly, there isnt time to adjust on the fly.

7 minutes ago, toxo said:

I've only ever been interested in pest control and "normal" target shooting leaves me cold. 

This isnt normal target shooting , its under pressure and designed to simulate a combat sniper role.
Its also pretty new, and gaining popularity fast, with different flavours of the same styles, their is one where you shoot with a buddy ect, its pretty big in the Skandi countries , SA and obviously the US.

Edited by Rewulf