Lots of Pigeon on Grass ??? Not even clover , Anyone noticed this in your Area ?

If it's not plant/weed growth of any type then it must be insect or similar.  Not much chance of slugs/snails during the middle of the day but early on a possibility?

My best guess... Leatherjackets?  It's coming up to daddy long-legs season...

shoot a few and find out!

Two campsites near my house , whenever they are empty of campers, are full of pigeons, the grass is kept very short and the ground is soft and sandy, the pigeons spend hours just wandering around picking up small seeds and greens, sadly they wont let me on for a bit of sport, ah well !!😂

What other crops can pigeons feed on at this time of year other than peas? Rape is 5’ tall and the seeds haven’t ripened, the heads haven’t filled out in the barley and none has gone down yet and the wheat is someway behind plus tree buds have opened.

The only pigeons around here in any numbers are feeding on clover in horse paddocks. They obviously know where it`s safe. One field of peas has been totally ignored.

Looking back in my shooting diary for this time of year, normally a very lean time for me, the last couple of years yielded good shooting on Triticale stubble in late June through July, but in 2018 a field of wheat was cut, again for biofuel due to it having too much black grass to make it worthwhile. I managed to have two short periods of 2 1/2 hours out when I shot 42 and 31 respectively (good bags for me). 

There doesn`t appear to be so much black grass in the wheat this year, so just keeping my fingers crossed for some action on the Triticale stubble due to be cut in the next couple of weeks.

OB 

Edited by Old Boggy

On 21/06/2021 at 15:19, clangerman said:

on first stubble of the year tomorrow cut early for whole crop feed looking good for a few if they join in on the plan 

don’t think they liked our plan slow traffic day picked 78 lost another half dozen but nice being able to drive up to the hide for a change