Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing

Bobba

Nostalgia. Found at the back of one of my book cases. It must date from about 1970.  It contains interesting lessons from that time eg how to cast with a centre pin reel !!

A present from my Dad. So, fond memories as we fished together regularly.

Crabtree.jpg

41 minutes ago, henry d said:

I have a later edition, my first edition disappeared sometime in my late teens. When I was reading it I was surprised to find out that Mr C was fond of eating some of his catch.

Think he mentions that Perch are a fine eating fish..............which they are....:good:

9 minutes ago, henry d said:

You can get 5 years for that! 😜

looking for a "Gameboy"..............will get you 3 years ...commmunity service ...and a bloody fine if you in the judicery

EDIT:

Or you would be accepted as an MP

all very sad........i will stick to fishing old skool

Edited by ditchman

A BOYS ROOM IN THE MID TO LATE 60'S

enter room.........hit by the stench of death...(proberly a jam jar with holes in the lid full of worms from the compost heap ..last saturdays fishing trip)

one gum boot with the last 1 1/2" turned down cause it looked good.....poster on the wall of Marrianne Faithful on a motorbike.......pull out poster from the radio times of a Vincent 1000cc.........airfix models hanging from the ceiling including a flying fortress with one wheel..(the other one was in yer mums hoover (which was away being fixed unjammed)....crabtree books on the floor next to 30 or 40 1/- war mags ...and etch-a-sketch...and a sprirograph that you nicked from your sisters room.....

an old freemans catalouge open at the underwear section and a crispy football sock under the bed...........3 empty packets of Barrets sherbet fountains........a ball of fishing dough...(Rockwell hardness about 147) now useless...covered in blue mouldy stuff............an Ever Ready torch that was leaking some sort of acidic gunk ...set of fishing rods in the corner one with the latest Mitchell 350 flick reel on it............and half a dozen darts stuck in the back of the door and a Diana 177 cal next to the bed with no slugs as you had run out again...and your mum keeps saying "i dont know what you do with them ".....Phaaaa what do women know

i wouldnt have swapped all that for the world.............:lol:

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/06/2021 at 09:24, ditchman said:

enter room.........hit by the stench of death...(proberly a jam jar with holes in the lid full of worms from the compost heap ..last saturdays fishing trip)

one gum boot with the last 1 1/2" turned down cause it looked good.....poster on the wall of Marrianne Faithful on a motorbike.......pull out poster from the radio times of a Vincent 1000cc.........airfix models hanging from the ceiling including a flying fortress with one wheel..(the other one was in yer mums hoover (which was away being fixed unjammed)....crabtree books on the floor next to 30 or 40 1/- war mags ...and etch-a-sketch...and a sprirograph that you nicked from your sisters room.....

an old freemans catalouge open at the underwear section and a crispy football sock under the bed...........3 empty packets of Barrets sherbet fountains........a ball of fishing dough...(Rockwell hardness about 147) now useless...covered in blue mouldy stuff............an Ever Ready torch that was leaking some sort of acidic gunk ...set of fishing rods in the corner one with the latest Mitchell 350 flick reel on it............and half a dozen darts stuck in the back of the door and a Diana 177 cal next to the bed with no slugs as you had run out again...and your mum keeps saying "i dont know what you do with them ".....Phaaaa what do women know

i wouldnt have swapped all that for the world.............

Brilliant Ditchman. Sounds identical to a lad growing up in the seventies too. Same comment from my mum and my Diana .177

”You haven’t shot all of those already?”

Sounds just like my bedroom used to be, but posher...........I only had a 'Gat'.

2 hours ago, Robden said:

Sounds just like my bedroom used to be, but posher...........I only had a 'Gat'.

never understood the idea of a gat.........a catapult was far better than a gat..........we used to shoot sparrows with catapults ...when they were on the road....we would look for granite pebbles that had loads of cracks in them...so when you shot at you quarry on the road the stone used to shatter and spray the area with fragged stone...very effective....

Hello, good post Simon 👍

Mr Crabtree goes Fishing was the book that defined every waking minute of my life up to the age of about 16 when fishing on the river Colne near Watford one Sunday morning a couple of lads  came along the side of the river with a Baikal single barrel shotgun. The rest, as they say, is history