Bike suggestions 2k budget

strimmer_13

I've my old cbr1000f in the garage, but I've come to a love hate relationship with it. I love it for going 100+ miles, for going like a absolute ****** in a straight line, but hate it's looks (it's the pig) and it weighs 250kg before I get on it. It's not much fun in the bendys (plus I hit a pheasant and smashed most of the fairing last year).

So I'm thinking of a new toy. I was going to go zx10r, but my sensible budget has said no (and prices are high for the season) so I'm thinking vfr800 or vtr1000. I like the vtr as my best mate had one and it rode lovely, I'm fairly lazy and like the torque. But I like the 2002-on looks of the vfr. Bare in mind I'm not a knee down guy, only had 2 bikes (ntv650 and the cbr) and am open to suggestions even 600 bandits are on my radar, but I'm 6'6'' so the higher the saddle the better 👍

Could push the budget maybe a little more, or look for trade ins with a dealer 

31 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Zx9 was on the list, always wanted a bright green monster since I had its 400 little brother years ago. Should I be worried about 30,000 miles? 

Not really if it has full of part service history no one thinks twice about buying a car with 70kmiles on it 

Fazer 1000, hornet 900 if you want upright comfort or maybe a mk1 rsv 1000 aprillia if you want something more sporty. I would steer clear of the older kwaks the finish on them is pretty poor and unless well looked after will probably have loads of out of sight rot. vtr has a very small tank and saggy suspension, im only 13stone and it was way too soft for me.

Nobody's said anything about the vfr? 

53 minutes ago, eggy74 said:

Fazer 1000, hornet 900 if you want upright comfort or maybe a mk1 rsv 1000 aprillia if you want something more sporty. I would steer clear of the older kwaks the finish on them is pretty poor and unless well looked after will probably have loads of out of sight rot. vtr has a very small tank and saggy suspension, im only 13stone and it was way too soft for me.

I'm 14stone and didn't mind it, maybe because I'm pretty inexperienced, I've only been riding big bikes 5 odd years. 

3 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Nobody's said anything about the vfr? 

I'm 14stone and didn't mind it, maybe because I'm pretty inexperienced, I've only been riding big bikes 5 odd years. 

never ridden a vfr, similar power and weight to the vtr i should imagine just a softer power delivery and a bit more upright. great for reliability and longevity though 

28 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

Or if you can find a nice one the yzr1000 thunderace .

I've had both tbe thundercat and the thunderace and both were awesome 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202105092387304?advertising-location=at_bikes&postcode=ne163hy&model=YZF1000R THUNDERACE&page=1&price-from=500&make=YAMAHA&sort=sponsored

I fancied a thundercat a few years ago, but was worried about the size. 

That thunderace is quite a lot for the price 🤔

2 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

I fancied a thundercat a few years ago, but was worried about the size. 

That thunderace is quite a lot for the price 🤔

I absolutely  loved my thundercat .

I fitted a hyperpro suspension kit , full micron exhaust system braided hoses front and rear sintered pads  front & rear had the carbs tuned professionally dot 4 brake fluid and more I can't remember  . It was a r6 beater and could give bigger bikes a bit of a fright..

The thunderace  was brilliant  as well but apart from an end can I left that std. 

I,m sorley tempted by the one on the link but couldn't afford the divorce if I did

11 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

I absolutely  loved my thundercat . I,m 6ft and was around 14-15 stone when I had mine...

I fitted a hyperpro suspension kit , full micron exhaust system braided hoses front and rear sintered pads  front & rear had the carbs tuned professionally dot 4 brake fluid and more I can't remember  . It was a r6 beater and could give bigger bikes a bit of a fright..

The thunderace  was brilliant  as well but apart from an end can I left that std. 

I,m sorley tempted by the one on the link but couldn't afford the divorce if I did

22 hours ago, jasper682 said:

Sv1000.

Funnily enough there's one local Ish at 2k with 30,000 miles on. 

Messaged a few people about their Vfrs this weekend and no reply. 

On 19/06/2021 at 18:13, millrace said:

An original unmolested 600 bandit!!

Tho the value ceems to be going up with these!!

I'd have one but I think I'm a tad big for one 😂

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

A well cared for R1 or a GSXR1000 will scare the bejesus out of you for not much money.

😅 The cbr scares the **** out of me, it's ******* fun, I've had silly speeds on that but I need something civilised 😢, comfortable and can eat the miles when I go back home, but also be lighter. When I had the 400 it was hilarious chucking it around, ok I know I can't have it all, but mid range with a higher seat will do for now. 

58 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

😅 The cbr scares the **** out of me, it's ******* fun, I've had silly speeds on that but I need something civilised 😢, comfortable and can eat the miles when I go back home, but also be lighter. When I had the 400 it was hilarious chucking it around, ok I know I can't have it all, but mid range with a higher seat will do for now. 

Not been suggested but what about a triumph tiger? 
the 955 can be picked up for around 2k, 110bhp, plenty of torque from the triple, far better in the corners than it should be and plenty quick in a straight line. 
And really comfy for covering miles 

6 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

BMW R1100RS. 

Thought this ^ the other day.

Love a big twin. Had an old school R100 and a few Moto Guzzis.

Take a look at the GS too, a few guys at IAM used to ride these to Nurburgring and cane them round. Recon either RS or GS will fit your bill. 

HONDA VFR800

/dist/_5-48-116/images/placeholders/transparent.675x450.png
Private Seller, Cheshire

Details

Year1999 - R reg
Mileage57,000
Engine800cc
£500

Currently SORN but passed last two MOTs. Nearly new tyres. Needs new chain and sprockets. Rear hub seized cost of repair £80. Brakes good for another 10,000 miles. Clutch slips when cold but once warm it’s ok. Selling because I’m now 70 and no longer able to ride.

• This bike passed a theft check on Sunday, 20 June 2021. The reg number submitted by the seller for this check ended in ...VUX, and the bike details returned by the check were: HONDA, UNKNOWN, first registered: Friday, 10 December 1999, engine size: 800 cc. Click here for full details on how to validate this check when viewing the bike.

Review

Cheap project bike ??