One Or T'other

wymberley

Somewhat hors de combat and can't get about but really need to make a decision. To help, which should I put on a rimfire rifle for use in excess of 100 yards - I think the 20/24 is academic really?

Either a MTC Genesis LR 5-20X50 or

a Hawke Airmax 30 6-24X50 (13320).

All suggestions welcome. I'll mount and boresight  the preferred choice (if there is one) for when I can get out.

Well, I have six Hawke scopes and two are the Airmax variety incluing the Airmax 30 as mentioned and I love 'em but the tree rats and maggies hate 'em.  Certainly on air rifles and 22rfs the 'big wheel' air max stands out in my view because you can wind it up to maximum and fine tune the picture to clarity so easy. The dots give you choices out to the distances you are talking althout at that range I use my 17HMR.  60 yards is the maximum I shoot with my 22rf and I have it set so I can hit tree rats out there by putting the first dot up on target.  With my rifle and ammo that setting means I am smack on back at 10-15yrds.

55 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Well, I have six Hawke scopes and two are the Airmax variety incluing the Airmax 30 as mentioned and I love 'em but the tree rats and maggies hate 'em.  Certainly on air rifles and 22rfs the 'big wheel' air max stands out in my view because you can wind it up to maximum and fine tune the picture to clarity so easy. The dots give you choices out to the distances you are talking althout at that range I use my 17HMR.  60 yards is the maximum I shoot with my 22rf and I have it set so I can hit tree rats out there by putting the first dot up on target.  With my rifle and ammo that setting means I am smack on back at 10-15yrds.

Cheers.

At or in excess of 100 yards it's odds on that we would be talking HMR or WMR. What is on your HMR?

Well I can't speak for the mtc as I don't know what ret it has .

But as for the hawke airmax .I have one of the the new compact versions  with nice adjustable turrets .the ret is the amx style .

I have it mounted on my .177 fac and the ret works out nicely out to 70 yds  after 70 then the dots and lines don't work out  so well in 5 yds increments  ,so any longer shot and I just dail the top turret  .a quick range find to get the distance ,drop that value into chairgun on my phone and it instantly gives me the exact number of clicks required to the top turret .which is very simple to do as they are marked in tens  .so far it's Been spot on out to 87 yds .

Maybe this can work for you and your long range .22lr shots .? 

I've NEVER been into dialing always preferring to use ret hold over .

But this new hawke has changed that and I like it because  when I dail , I wind the mag right up to 24x (as opposed to 16 x for the ret to work up to 70 yds .) And fire .

Edited by Ultrastu

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Cheers.

At or in excess of 100 yards it's odds on that we would be talking HMR or WMR. What is on your HMR?

Airmax 30 6-24 x50  again with side wheel fitted because of the chance of close or far and need to adjust focus quickly.

Had to go open my safe as I had completely forgotten what I had on it:lol: