Fibre wad for skeet

Madrilleno

I have been using Hull Pro Piston for skeet for a while and really like them. However, I want to explore using fibre wad instead of plastic. What can you recommend for cartridges with similar performance to Pro Piston?

Edited by Madrilleno

Every shotgun is slightly different in my experience and the answer from me would to buy two or three different brands and pattern test them, then you know just what you have and it is up to you to put them in that pattern. I shoot my 410 home loads fibre which I fine tuned on the plate so I know if I miss it ain't the cartridges fault.

On 17/06/2021 at 17:33, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Buy the cheapest fibre 9s you can get on a regular basis, it is after all only skeet so the ranges will not be massive.

That's exactly what I would advise.

I'm not convinced there is that much difference in performance with modern cartridges that an average shooter would notice. Especially at skeet distance.

The only noticeable differences would be recoil and possibly speed, that's why you should try and stick to one cartridge you can find a steady stock at a reasonable price. Once you switch around, that difference in recoil can play mind games with you.

But cheap and plentiful will do for all but the most professional of shooters. A cheap cartridge will out perform an average shot.

On 17/06/2021 at 17:31, Walker570 said:

Every shotgun is slightly different in my experience and the answer from me would to buy two or three different brands and pattern test them, then you know just what you have and it is up to you to put them in that pattern. I shoot my 410 home loads fibre which I fine tuned on the plate so I know if I miss it ain't the cartridges fault.

Just don't forget to also pattern the Hull.

25 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I patterned the Hull High Pheasant last season on a few pheasant and partridge and they did not like it one little bit:good:

Can't understand why on earth they stopped doing the 7s in 12 bore.

The OP would need to pattern his to compare with whatever he tries should he go down that route.

29 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Not making enough profit!

At the risk of upsetting 'Robin' even more, and although it no longer concerns me being sufficiently stocked up to see my shooting days out, ne'rtheless I simply can't see the point in having no game loads with No 7s above 28g.

On 25/06/2021 at 19:52, wymberley said:

At the risk of upsetting 'Robin' even more, and although it no longer concerns me being sufficiently stocked up to see my shooting days out, ne'rtheless I simply can't see the point in having no game loads with No 7s above 28g.

I cornered the guy on the Hull stand at the 2019 Scottish gamefair over both no7 loads in 12b and 410 pellet sizes being too large.

In regards the former, he advised using Sovereign fibre in no7 as no profit in no7 game loading and the latter, everybody just wants no6 so that's what they do them in, no interest in production of a better, more effective cartridge.

Though I see they now have a 18g no7 fibre High Pheasant load on their website - not seen any yet

Edited by Stonepark

I wonder if they have gone 18g for the same reason I believe Fiocchi did. I'm told that they could not guarantee a full 19 g so dropped the designation to 18 just in case some clever clocks opened one or two up and checked. Which/whatever both manufacturers 18g cartridges perform very well indeed in my Yildiz and will do the job if the shooter can. I personally find in my gun that full choke gives the best pattern at 35yrds BUT all guns chokes vary so check your own, particularly with 410s which can be real finicky.

In truth unless you are getting a bag where woodcock will form a very likely possibility I think that 1 1/16 ounce of #7 is just too much shot. Payne-Gallwey proved that 1 ounce of #7 adequately works on even high pheasants. Personally I prefer the classic 1 1/16 ounce of #6 but there is a place for the same charge weight of #7 on maybe of partridge or woodcock or even woodpigeon but IMHO on pheasant it's overkill.

Edited by enfieldspares

34 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

In truth unless you are getting a bag where woodcock will form a very likely possibility I think that 1 1/16 ounce of #7 is just too much shot. Payne-Gallwey proved that 1 ounce of #7 adequately works on even high pheasants. Personally I prefer the classic 1 1/16 ounce of #6 but there is a place for the same charge weight of #7 on maybe of partridge or woodcock or even woodpigeon but IMHO on pheasant it's overkill.

It might be worth noting that this is Pigeon Watch. :innocent:

30 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Indeed. And it's an excellent "full" pattern for woodpigeon in any gun bored IMP and IMP. But Hull's market probably doesn't justify setting up a run for the volume they sell.

:good: Yep, good for decoying out to a little over 35 yards. It does seem to me that Hull are more into  size than quantity - at least, that's the impression I'm getting.