Overlapping rifles

wildfowler.250

1 hour ago, theshootist said:

Your .22 Finnfire is (in my opinion) one of the very finest rimfire rifles ever made! 

It is. Mate has one that never sees the light of day. Literally, I think I’ve seen it once in the last 20 odd years, and that was in his house and not in the field! 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Scully said:

It is. Mate has one that never sees the light of day. Literally, I think I’ve seen it once in the last 20 odd years, and that was in his house and not in the field! 🤷‍♂️

And there's the rub in my mind: I have a Sako Quad 22LR with a spare 16" HMR sporter barrel I've not used the LR barrel for well over two years.

Yes it packs more punch than the FAC air, is lighter and simpler, and a therefore cheaper rifle but the 40 grain bullet ricochet potential MIGHT take me into frothy waters whereas the 16 grain pellet with a skirt to brake its lts distance potential poses such a minor risk of doing some unintended damage and possibly even losing my ticket.

The HMR is deployed for almost everything though because the calibre is flatter so less demanding of range estimation errors particularly when using night vision add on kit which is harder to get exactly right - though I have just fitted a laser rangefinder to the NV so may well use subsonic a little more often again - BUT a further aspect is rabbits can identify the direction a subsonic shot came from but not a sonic crack from the HMR.

My 99.9% usual quarry is rabbit and occasional opportune tree vermin.

Edited by Dave-G