Another BBC rant - Veganism why/how

Agriv8

Sorry - just having a vent and a rant 

So can somebody explain why is veganism mentioned in this report ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57512243

brexit mentioned ok it’s had a bearing - but 3 rd sentence. Come on bbc let’s report facts not personal beliefs

right feel better now

Agriv8

It is a fact that veganism is increasing apparently up 40% in the last year and supported by the increasing amount of aisle space allocated at my local Sainsbury's. Increasing veganism will reduce the demand for meat which will help prices a little as producers struggle with spiralling post Brexit commodity price rises. In this case as reported it could signal a change much needed or otherwise will depend upon your personal view.

Fortunately as consumers we have the benefit of the forthcoming low cost meat deal with Australia.

Edited by oowee

2 hours ago, twenty said:

The more Vegans and Vegetarians there are, the more PW members will have to do, to protect their fruit, vegetables, peas, beans, lentils and arable crops.........as authorised in GL 42 of course.

Indeed, Rapeseed oil was being promoted on the tv last night and i was thinking about all you brave old pigeon shooters out in all weathers doing your bit to protect crops.......shame but when eating meat is illegal you will have to leave any shot birds for the growing numbers of predators 

19 minutes ago, Scully said:

Followed an artic load of chickens heading for Frank Birds this morning. 
Quite sad really, a few weeks of living in a shed, loaded into crates, driven two miles ( on this occasion ) and before I’d listened to pop master they’d be dead. 😕

pop master.....🤩

😂😂😂sorry....no disrespect to the chickens 🐔

pop master bit just made me grin, that’s all.

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Followed an artic load of chickens heading for Frank Birds this morning. 
Quite sad really, a few weeks of living in a shed, loaded into crates, driven two miles ( on this occasion ) and before I’d listened to pop master they’d be dead. 😕

Nail on the head right there. 

This is what our shooting organisations should be promoting, wild shot and even reared game is far more humane than mass meat production and is far better for animal welfare. 

all this veganism.....i will be pushing out more gas than the bloody Russian Tundra permafrost melting.....and we will all be walking about with carbon capture machines down our trousers.....like them special filters they have designed for cows bottoms to capture the gas emmissions

wole world is going crazy............

14 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Nail on the head right there. 

This is what our shooting organisations should be promoting, wild shot and even reared game is far more humane than mass meat production and is far better for animal welfare. 

This just reminded me, its not the same thing but its to do with the way we see food.

After the Brexit vote there were loads of articles about food being more expensive etc etc tomatoes going up in price, all doom and gloom as normal.

All I could think is that maybe some things should go up in price as it might make people look at food a bit differently instead of wasting loads food all the time. Or if say prices of tomatoes from Europe was too high it may spark the viability for more UK based growers to invest in bigger setups to help demand.

Even though I enjoy the convenience of having whatever ingredient whenever, there needs to be more food education on seasonality.

Some of the meat rearing conditions can be less than desirable.

I understand that price increases could be devastating for some lower income families, but I was just thinking to myself about current food culture.

4 hours ago, islandgun said:

Indeed, Rapeseed oil was being promoted on the tv last night and i was thinking about all you brave old pigeon shooters out in all weathers doing your bit to protect crops.......shame but when eating meat is illegal you will have to leave any shot birds for the growing numbers of predators 

I think if they made meat illegal we would be dead by then.

Edited by Pangolin

5 minutes ago, Pangolin said:

This just reminded me, its not the same thing but its to do with the way we see food.

After the Brexit vote there were loads of articles about food being more expensive etc etc tomatoes going up in price, all doom and gloom as normal.

All I could think is that maybe some things should go up in price as it might make people look at food a bit differently instead of wasting loads food all the time. Or if say prices of tomatoes from Europe was too high it may spark the viability for more UK based growers to invest in bigger setups to help demand.

Even though I enjoy the convenience of having whatever ingredient whenever, there needs to be more food education on seasonality.

Some of the meat rearing conditions can be less than desirable.

I understand that price increases could be devastating for some lower income families, but I was just thinking to myself about current food culture.

I think if they made meat illegal we would be dead by then.

Excellent post that 👏

8 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Sorry - just having a vent and a rant 

So can somebody explain why is veganism mentioned in this report ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57512243

brexit mentioned ok it’s had a bearing - but 3 rd sentence. Come on bbc let’s report facts not personal beliefs

right feel better now

Agriv8

7 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

Veganism has become more popular with the younger generation.

possibly mean dwindling market. Less long term prospects.

Possibly this, it would be foolish of the industry to ignore changes in consumers views, the sooner they can adjust the sooner they'll be better off. There will always be a meat market but failing to plan is planning to fail.

Guest cookoff013
39 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What about 21 day matured mung beans?

No that doesn't work either.

What about a vegetarian bacon sandwich?

Vegan bacon sandwich is pink oyster mushrooms and they apparently taste like bacon.