ENG v SCO.

twenty

Hopeless, cannot kick a ball forward and absolutely no spark or skill to be seen.  

I enjoy watching the women’s team for their enthusiasm and attacking style.

It is no wonder I am not a football fan.

Edited by Good shot?

8 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Truly awful. How can we hope to win a tournament with the thickos we chose?

It's Southgate's fault. He's incapable of allowing his team to thrive. Every attacking intention in the team is stifled out with this mentality of 'play patient and the chances will come'. 3 shots on target over two matches says that game ain't working.

Then there are players picked despite being woefully out of form. Kane's been dire, Stirling's irrelevant and Rashford's an empty shirt. 

Apparently failing to make the semis would be a failure according to Southgate, but right now, getting to the quarters would be a miracle. 

I'm so bored of England trying to win a game 1-0 and no more. Romania were a truly terrible team. Why not go out and try and beat them 4,5,6-0 and make the likes of France, Belgium, Portugal et al. sit up and think 'huh, that's a bit different from England'. But no. A 68min penalty and it's '[we] learned a lot from the game. It was good to win.' Do me a favour, that wasn't even in the same postcode as good.

We have enough attack minded players to run a set for 60 minutes and then take advantage of the 4/5 sub rule.. we could of run them ragged... But with a defender as a manager we sit back and play some awful football.. Tonight proved that he picks players due to club not performance.. Sterling and Kane should be dropped for the next game.

1 hour ago, ratchers said:

What we need is a substitute for the manager! so negative.

Agreed. I just want a manager who'll tern the fast paced, attacking ethos of the Prem into the national side, but it never seems to happen. When was the last time we had a manager who'd cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war? We seem to have wasted a succession of highly talented individuals, who are neutered when it comes to England

Worst game of international football I have ever seen. They had lead in their boots and their hands in their pockets. The ball spent more time going back than forward.

You watch the energy and agility of a team like Italy and you realise that we’re toast in the next round.

Very depressing. Truly dreadful performance.

1 minute ago, Scully said:

I went to the pub…..unfortunately it was on a big screen in the bar. 😕
Luckily for us we were in the dining room where my two wonderful kids were treating me to a Fathers Day treat. 🙂

Nice one 👍 I suspect the area by the big screen in the pub was unusually quiet since there was nothing to cheer for (bar the sound of the final whistle perhaps)

25 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

so why try 

Don't be daft. Effort isn't the issue. And there is no argument for saying they're not trying because they get paid well. They want to play well,  they want to represent their fans well and give them what they want. It's small-minded to say that high pay = a lack of desire to try. They're not playing a game that plays to each player's individual abilities and preferences. We were poor last night, but it wasn't through lack of effort, just lack of direction.

Edited by chrisjpainter

2 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Nice one 👍 I suspect the area by the big screen in the pub was unusually quiet since there was nothing to cheer for (bar the sound of the final whistle perhaps)

Surprisingly the pub itself wasn’t as busy as I’d expected, but yes, there wasn’t a great deal of ‘oohing’ and ‘aahing’ going on. 

3 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

£2k a game on England duty is a tidy bonus, for sure

Gareth Bale earns 325x that each week, every week, regardless of whether he plays or not. 

I agree that, even in this day and age, it's pretty inconceivable that international footballers do anything but their very best when representing your country.

What I do find ironic though is that an expression of National Pride through the England football team is these days one of the few ways it's seen as acceptable to be patriotic and nationalist, yet the performances themselves are not anything to be particularly proud about.