Bees and weedkilller

gmm243

Evening all,

I have sown a new lawn about a month ago and while it has recently come up well there are a lot of docks and thistles in it-too many to hand pick or hoe out.

I have 3 hives of bees at the side of the lawn and whilst I do want rid of the weeds I do not want to harm the bees.I have already had an incident with one of these hives getting nearly wiped out due to spraying.I remember at the time some members had knowledge of what wed killers could be used safely mainly on an agricultural scale.

Would anyone know a safe option to use?I do not mind locking them in for a few days but am fearful of doing damage to them by using the wrong spray. 

Many thanks.

I would be very surprised if any of the lawn weedkillers would harm bees, insecticides are what would harm them. I see literature suggesting Roundup (glyphosate) might harm them but you wouldn't use that on a lawn anyway as it would kill the lawn too.

I would suggest anything from the garden centre to control broad leaved weeds in lawns would be fine, if you are happy to keep the bees in for a day then so much the better but I doubt it necessary. I would spray late evening when it is calm and the bees would be less active then anyway. I would also avoid exceptionally warm weather to do it as there can be an increased risk of vapours. 

Spraying late in the day is inadvisable.  Herbicides generally work by utilising the plant's process of photosynthesis (converting light into chemical energy) against itself so the chemical is ingested through the leaves.  This happens during daylight hours, obviously, so herbicide should be applied as early as possible in the day to allow the maximum amount of uptake possible.

The simple way of avoiding any transferral to pollinating insects is, prior to spraying, pull off the flower heads which attract the pollinators. 

7 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

The simple way of avoiding any transferral to pollinating insects is, prior to spraying, pull off the flower heads which attract the pollinators. 

That may not work. Honey bees will gather water to mix with honey to feed their brood. Mine mostly get it from our pond or stream but it's not unusual to see them on the grass harvesting the dew in the morning.

On 19/06/2021 at 08:23, Windswept said:

That may not work. Honey bees will gather water to mix with honey to feed their brood. Mine mostly get it from our pond or stream but it's not unusual to see them on the grass harvesting the dew in the morning.

Point accepted, but that's probably a very small percentage probability compared to the dandelions growing on the average Joe's patio and driveway?