IBC tank for watering

powler

Morning

The father in-law is on a water meter so watering his veg patch costs, now I have the chance of a few IBC tanks that have been used for PVA glue which I was thinking could be used for catching rain water if I could get them clean, I take it as PVA is water based it should not harm the plants and they should be ok after a jet wash, I don't expect to be able to get it all out as the tanks have been sat in hot weather for a while so the last of the glue has probably set.

Anything I am overlooking here or should this work fine as I don't want to go to the hassle of moving them to the in laws to find they are not suitable?

Thanks

Mick

I would suggest you place something between the source of the water and the storage tank as a trap for all the heavy stuff that will flow with the water.

Settle it in an easily manageable trap that you can empty on a regular basis and stop the detritus getting in to the very hard to empty out tank.

One chap at work took several for his allotment and then ended up taking the rest for the other allotment holders.

Good luck

I would turn it upside down and get the jet washer through the outlet valve ,you should be able to get the thickest of glue off that way, also try and elivate it as high as possible to get a better rate of flow when full, you can also get an adapter that will allow you to conect a hosepipe to it off Ebay for less than a £5 , not sure about the glue and plants thats a sticky question that I can not answer . i'll get my coat LOL

Personally I would have a hunt around for some that have already been cleaned, they are not usually difficult to find. As said get them up high as you also want to get a watering can under the tap. A few old pallets should do it. Also worth running in tandem so rain water goes into one and then siphons into the second from which you draw. All the crud stays in the first, you only have one to clean and the tap doesn’t get clogged. Water also tends to go green so if you can cover them in something to keep the light out so much the better.

I just use the big plastic drums as many farmers are glad to get rid of them or just charge a fiver. They are easier to handle and depending on the size of your veg patch and rain fall plenty big enough.

Thanks for the replies guys, will sort some transport for them and jest wash them out and put them inline, also covered to hold back the algae. Thinking maybe some fine wire with a household sieve below to keep out the debris.

Thanks again

Mick

I use a IBC that has had PVA in for a water collection tank. I used a jet wash to clean it. Water is collected off a shed roof to fill it. I used the square guttering pipes and the connector into the tank has a square to round pipe connector. I wedged a square of rough aquarium filter sponge in this to stop any debris going in. I take it off and rinse regularly as it gets allsorts of leaves, moss and other debris in it. I got an Ibc cap for the bottom off ebay with a hoselock compatable tap already fitted. I couldnt find a black ibc at the time for sale, so I painted it black with rib paint to stop the water growing algae. Its water based so needs storing out of frosts in the tin, but is weather proof once painted on and dry. Mines been painted and outside 4 years now and fine. The ibc is on a plastic pallet with alloy frame.

https://www.militaryvehiclepaint.co.uk/product_details.php?product_id=61835

image.png.2ed4ef5afe194776e30f7815ccb5ba5a.png

Edited by loriusgarrulus

8 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

I use a IBC that has had PVA in for a water collection tank. I used a jet wash to clean it. Water is collected off a shed roof to fill it. I used the square guttering pipes and the connector into the tank has a square to round pipe connector. I wedged a square of rough aquarium filter sponge in this to stop any debris going in. I take it off and rinse regularly as it gets allsorts of leaves, moss and other debris in it. I got an Ibc cap for the bottom off ebay with a hoselock compatable tap already fitted. I couldnt find a black ibc at the time for sale, so I painted it black with rib paint to stop the water growing algae. Its water based so needs storing out of frosts in the tin, but is weather proof once painted on and dry. Mines been painted and outside 4 years now and fine. The ibc is on a plastic pallet with alloy frame.

https://www.militaryvehiclepaint.co.uk/product_details.php?product_id=61835

image.png.2ed4ef5afe194776e30f7815ccb5ba5a.png

can I sugest that come the cold weather you make sure you turn the main valve of on the IBC and the vent any water out of the brass tap leaving it open , I did'nt and when the water froze it burst the fitings on both my tanks , allso bung a bit of sack over the main valve.  atb DD

I do that after every time I use it. I also only have the hose attached when I am using it. 👍👍

3 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

can I sugest that come the cold weather you make sure you turn the main valve of on the IBC and the vent any water out of the brass tap leaving it open , I did'nt and when the water froze it burst the fitings on both my tanks , allso bung a bit of sack over the main valve.  atb DD