Gun nut

Scully

I confess to being one; I have been a gun obsessed nut for as long as I can recall, to the extent my Mother would worry about it, and indeed once told me I would never bring one into her house. I brought in loads! From pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns! 😀

Anyhow, at a recent comp’ I was as usual, constantly distracted by some cracking bits of kit. I often find myself watching someone’s gun rather than the clays they’re shooting at, but that’s just me. 
 I really like the look of shotguns with no mid rib, which is what initially attracted me to the Perazzi MX4C and the Remington 3200 and Krieghoff K32, ( the Benelli 828u being an exception for some reason ) but I wasn’t aware Blaser also do one. 
I know a lad with the extra high rib version and once asked him why, to which he replied ‘it just looks cool!’  which is fair enough, and although it does indeed look cool, it’s not as cool as the mid ribless model. 
I’m not shy of asking folk for a look at their guns, but never got the chance to ask the bloke with the Blaser with no mid rib but extra high top rib ( he wasn’t shooting well so I didn’t think he would welcome my interest ) which model it was. Anyone know? 
There was a lad from Lancaster Uni’ Shooting Club there with an absolutely stunning 3200 skeet gun. It had a mite more gold than I’m keen on, but was an exhibition/presentation model in mint condition. I consider my own ‘sleeper’ trap model a stunner, but this was in another league altogether. Gorgeous! 
Mate says I’ll never be a top shot because I have too many guns and constantly swap them about, and he’s probably right, and while I’m not a rubbish shot, there are just too many guns out there for me to dedicate my time to, to care. 
I did notice one or two blokes who previously shot Krieghoffs, were now shooting Brownings, and although I rate mates XS Pro, I get a very noticeable ‘twang’ from the trigger, something which I’ve heard the Pro Sport ( another good looking gun….maybe I should go back to Browning! ) is prone to. 
Anyhow, just a little ramble. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with a ramble!

I don’t shoot competitions and clays are only a means of keeping the eye in. Like you I have rather too many guns between which I chop and change as takes my fancy or shooting, such as wildfowling or muzzle loading days, dictates. I have never really worried about shooting well although it is a good feeling to do so. I much prefer to enjoy shooting with the gun I choose for the day, the majority of which are S x S.

I’m the same way,  I keep telling myself that am done buying guns.  I need to shoot the ones I have. But I was down in South Carolina fishing this weekend  and stoped into a computer store. The guy had a small section of guns. Nothing new just some used guns that he buys and sells.  Found a unfired Ruger single six, 0629 model with the fixed sights.  

DADF9540-6FCD-4EEA-91CB-363B69B2E11F.jpeg

404EF8FC-E744-42B8-A3D8-1A1F9E849DC6.jpeg

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Drew Pritchard and Rick Stein are two other men of a certain age that use the word "cool" to often.

I don’t use the phrase to be honest, not being old enough to have used it first time round, and being too old to use it this time around,  but was merely stating what the Blaser owner thought of his high rib. 🙂

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I am sure many on PW understand 🤔, I've been rambling years now Scully , what if I bought this gun or that gun 🙄, have a good weekend👍

And to you too OPP, have a good un. 👍

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I’m the same way,  I keep telling myself that am done buying guns.  I need to shoot the ones I have. But I was down in South Carolina fishing this weekend  and stoped into a computer store. The guy had a small section of guns. Nothing new just some used guns that he buys and sells.  Found a unfired Ruger single six, 0629 model with the fixed sights.  

Do they make them left and right handed or do you change the grips on them to suit your own hands 

just curious 🤨 

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Fabulous. I hope you appreciate and never take for granted what freedoms you have. 
If I lived in the US I’d have no money! 

Like many, I am interested in guns and, consequently,  I have too many guns which I cannot shoot often enough. 
But as a shooting man I would not like to be described as a ‘gun nut’, because in my mind, ‘gun nut’ is just too close to ‘gun freak’.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Like many, I am interested in guns and, consequently,  I have too many guns which I cannot shoot often enough. 
But as a shooting man I would not like to be described as a ‘gun nut’, because in my mind, ‘gun nut’ is just too close to ‘gun freak’.

I don’t mind either, it’s no worse than a car nut or bike nut. 

I’m a  normal bloke, father of two, and a well adjusted adult who just happens to be a gun nut. If some tend to wet the bed at the mention of the word gun then that’s their problem, not mine. 🙂

I’m pretty sure armed response coppers have more than a passing interest in firearms. It doesn’t mean anything. I only know three, one of whom is retired, and all own ‘sporting’ firearms. 

6 hours ago, Scully said:

I confess to being one; I have been a gun obsessed nut for as long as I can recall, to the extent my Mother would worry about it, and indeed once told me I would never bring one into her house. I brought in loads! From pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns! 😀

Anyhow, at a recent comp’ I was as usual, constantly distracted by some cracking bits of kit. I often find myself watching someone’s gun rather than the clays they’re shooting at, but that’s just me. 
 I really like the look of shotguns with no mid rib, which is what initially attracted me to the Perazzi MX4C and the Remington 3200 and Krieghoff K32, ( the Benelli 828u being an exception for some reason ) but I wasn’t aware Blaser also do one. 
I know a lad with the extra high rib version and once asked him why, to which he replied ‘it just looks cool!’  which is fair enough, and although it does indeed look cool, it’s not as cool as the mid ribless model. 
I’m not shy of asking folk for a look at their guns, but never got the chance to ask the bloke with the Blaser with no mid rib but extra high top rib ( he wasn’t shooting well so I didn’t think he would welcome my interest ) which model it was. Anyone know? 
There was a lad from Lancaster Uni’ Shooting Club there with an absolutely stunning 3200 skeet gun. It had a mite more gold than I’m keen on, but was an exhibition/presentation model in mint condition. I consider my own ‘sleeper’ trap model a stunner, but this was in another league altogether. Gorgeous! 
Mate says I’ll never be a top shot because I have too many guns and constantly swap them about, and he’s probably right, and while I’m not a rubbish shot, there are just too many guns out there for me to dedicate my time to, to care. 
I did notice one or two blokes who previously shot Krieghoffs, were now shooting Brownings, and although I rate mates XS Pro, I get a very noticeable ‘twang’ from the trigger, something which I’ve heard the Pro Sport ( another good looking gun….maybe I should go back to Browning! ) is prone to. 
Anyhow, just a little ramble. 

You definitely require councelling.:yes:

4 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Nice revolver, wish we could still own them here.

5 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Nothing wrong with a ramble!

I don’t shoot competitions and clays are only a means of keeping the eye in. Like you I have rather too many guns between which I chop and change as takes my fancy or shooting, such as wildfowling or muzzle loading days, dictates. I have never really worried about shooting well although it is a good feeling to do so. I much prefer to enjoy shooting with the gun I choose for the day, the majority of which are S x S.

Yep that’s me too - I definitely shoot better with my Blaser, but I do like to miss in style with various SxS.  How is that beautiful Dickson performing?  I was in Graham McKinlays only last week and I was drooling over some of the stuff in there 😍

45 minutes ago, Bungle The Bear said:

Yep that’s me too - I definitely shoot better with my Blaser, but I do like to miss in style with various SxS.  How is that beautiful Dickson performing?  I was in Graham McKinlays only last week and I was drooling over some of the stuff in there 😍

Been out once with the Dickson and I just need to get used to it handling differently but hit a few on the high stand at Westlands. It fits beautifully so it’s down to me. Graham has some gorgeous stuff and if only money were no object…….

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

You definitely require councelling.:yes:

Thankyou. 🙂

3 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Been out once with the Dickson and I just need to get used to it handling differently but hit a few on the high stand at Westlands. It fits beautifully so it’s down to me. Graham has some gorgeous stuff and if only money were no object…….

Where is Graham McKinlays? 

I look at guns in much the same way as watches or cars, you can get a watch the tells the time for a few quid or you could spend a lot more and get one the tells the time and looks good.

I have a cabinet full of guns that are tools to do a job but I've also got a couple that are works of art as well.