Gun nut

Scully

Until I decided I no longer wanted to do it...2014...I used to own and shoot both a 7.62mm Nagant and a 7.62mm Tokarev under the s7 "Historic Pistol" rules at a designated range. Beautifully made as the Westlake is, and a nicer person that Alan you'd struggle to meet, if I'd wanted to shoot something like this I'd have been doind it before the Tory Government banned handguns. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Take a look at these … 

http://www.westlakeengineering.com/

I thought the old long barrel pistols with the cost hanger grip was as close as we could get … until a guy in our club got one of these. 

AWESOME! 

Although I was never into ‘race’ guns like those produced by Alan Westlake, it’s good to know his company survived and is still in the go. 
He did a lot of custom work mostly on L frame S&W revolvers back then for Practical and PPC comp’s, and although they were in no doubt the dogs danglies, they weren’t really my cup of tea.

I was in the process of having a nickel plated  4” barrelled  .357 586 worked on by Richard Wilson of Shooting Developments, who did similar ( and in my opinion better ) work as Westlake, with a patridge sighted and vented bull barrel, for competition, but Dunblane happened and that was that. 
I have no idea if his company is still trading, although a quick google would probably tell me. 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

I was in the process of having a nickel plated  4” barrelled  .357 586 worked on by Richard Wilson of Shooting Developments, who did similar ( and in my opinion better ) work as Westlake, with a patridge sighted and vented bull barrel, for competition, but Dunblane happened and that was that. 
I have no idea if his company is still trading, although a quick google would probably tell me. 

Richard started his own bespoke or "custom" revolvers owing to delivery and quality delays from Bill Davis. They were also a better product IMHO that the overrated Edgecumbe Arms offering also.

20 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Richard started his own bespoke or "custom" revolvers owing to delivery and quality delays from Bill Davis. They were also a better product IMHO that the overrated Edgecumbe Arms offering also.

Had forgotten all about Edgecumbe, or was it Edgecoombe? 
I owned a .45ACP 1911A1 with a Series 80 barrel, which had been very tastefully and understatedly customised by Ferrand Custom Arms, which I used as my ‘skittle’ and ‘fruit and veg’ gun for many years. 🙂 It was still a clunky ( in comparison ) slow to return to battery single action auto, and not in the same league as the CZ double action race guns which were then the trend, but I cherished it. It was fitted with Pachmeyers, extended slide release, ambidextrous safety, flat main spring housing, all of which were browned rather than blued, patridge front sight and rear LPA sights, and I had great fun with it. Happy days. 🙂

Edited by Scully
Predictive text

On 19/06/2021 at 10:04, Old farrier said:

Do they make them left and right handed or do you change the grips on them to suit your own hands 

just curious 🤨 

Thousand of grips are available 

17 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Take a look at these … 

http://www.westlakeengineering.com/

I thought the old long barrel pistols with the cost hanger grip was as close as we could get … until a guy in our club got one of these. 

AWESOME! 

Those are awesome.  A muzzle loader like that would sell well in the USA.  Felons are barred from owning guns but muzzle loaders are not considered firearms so they can be owned by felons.  

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Couple of really nice videos by TGS on the tube, regarding Holts. Pity he skipped the pumps! 🙂

He's shown a pump that's a little differant, did you miss it? Pull back and release,  it then auto feeds the next round. Can't remember it's name but it's in part 1 of the second set of 2 videos. 

There's 4 TGS videos out at present on the Holts auction. I've seen 3.

12 hours ago, Centrepin said:

He's shown a pump that's a little differant, did you miss it? Pull back and release,  it then auto feeds the next round. Can't remember it's name but it's in part 1 of the second set of 2 videos. 

There's 4 TGS videos out at present on the Holts auction. I've seen 3.

Yeah, I saw that video. In that same video he came upon a rack of pumps and said they were ‘cool’ but skipped past them, which was a bit disappointing as I spotted a Model 12. May have a look on the catalogue. 
I’ve seen three also, and really enjoyed them. 👍

On 20/06/2021 at 16:03, Scully said:

Had forgotten all about Edgecumbe, or was it Edgecoombe? 
I owned a .45ACP 1911A1 with a Series 80 barrel, which had been very tastefully and understatedly customised by Ferrand Custom Arms, which I used as my ‘skittle’ and ‘fruit and veg’ gun for many years. 🙂 It was still a clunky ( in comparison ) slow to return to battery single action auto, and not in the same league as the CZ double action race guns which were then the trend, but I cherished it. It was fitted with Pachmeyers, extended slide release, ambidextrous safety, flat main spring housing, all of which were browned rather than blued, patridge front sight and rear LPA sights, and I had great fun with it. Happy days. 🙂

Do you have any pics, I love a 1911, would love to see it.

3 hours ago, Pangolin said:

Do you have any pics, I love a 1911, would love to see it.

1911’s are fantastic guns and I found them very user friendly. 

When in the USA a few years back my partner and I, and two other women went to a range. 

All 4 of us shot the 1911 very well, despite being a large calibre the frame was a good size and the sights fairly large as well. 

The other 3 really struggled with the 9mm Glock due to the smaller size. 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

When in the USA a few years back my partner and I, and two other women went to a range. 

All 4 of us shot the 1911 very well, despite being a large calibre the frame was a good size and the sights fairly large as well. 

I've never handled one but I love the aesthetic.

The whole gun thing just does not do it for me. I appreciate some of the art work and the engineering but I only want to use them as tools for a job. That said i do have a bit of a fascination for old air guns but confess to not owning any of these either. 

16 minutes ago, Pangolin said:

Such a great looking gun.

Thanks. Yes, they are an iconic design. Not sure if Colt still make them, but Para Ordnance and Springfield Armouries do as far as I’m aware, and companies like Kimber. 
I had to buy a Progressive Press to feed mine ( and my other handguns of course ) as I got through so much ammo! Happy days indeed.  

18 hours ago, Scully said:

This was mine. The solid rubber buffer on the base of the magazine was to prevent it being damaged too much when ejected during practical. I never dropped mine anyhow, but that’s what it’s there for. 
image.jpeg.6812e0e0c731ecc9fe62cf0076a5ee94.jpegimage.jpeg.39fa53534d4f43c9fa1abd9f969a22f8.jpeg

For some years I carried and used a Browning 9mm. Due to weapons shortages we all had to share. Usually 1 between 2 as we never all required a pistol at the same time. Mine was shared with my CSM who having smaller and bonier hands than me, removed the grips and fired without it. I occasionally used it on the range like that to save time but actually preffered a set of wooden grips that where gifted to me.

I'd really love another, but....UK law.

6 hours ago, Centrepin said:

For some years I carried and used a Browning 9mm. Due to weapons shortages we all had to share. Usually 1 between 2 as we never all required a pistol at the same time. Mine was shared with my CSM who having smaller and bonier hands than me, removed the grips and fired without it. I occasionally used it on the range like that to save time but actually preffered a set of wooden grips that where gifted to me.

I'd really love another, but....UK law.

Mate had a HP Browning but unfortunately I never got the chance to use it. 

This was the only 9mm I ever owned. It is an Austrian Steyr, dated 1917. The case was quite longer than the 9mm Parabellum, more or less the equivalent of a .38 Special as compared to the .38 S&W, and had a peculiar ‘light bulb’ muzzle flash! 🙂It had an integral magazine and was fed via stripper clips. 
Steyr still make some of the most reliable firearms in the world. 
image.jpeg.de105f0524bc946070cad028e948cb04.jpegimage.jpeg.778669c74c94dea1561aaa72c7cae069.jpeg

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Mate had a HP Browning but unfortunately I never got the chance to use it. 

This was the only 9mm I ever owned. It is an Austrian Steyr, dated 1917. The case was quite longer than the 9mm Parabellum, more or less the equivalent of a .38 Special as compared to the .38 S&W, and had a peculiar ‘light bulb’ muzzle flash! 🙂It had an integral magazine and was fed via stripper clips. 
Steyr still make some of the most reliable firearms in the world. 
image.jpeg.de105f0524bc946070cad028e948cb04.jpegimage.jpeg.778669c74c94dea1561aaa72c7cae069.jpeg

Steyr used to be a massive company, maybe still are. They used to make trucks too. Awful trucks with massive steering wheels to compensate for poor steering. Compared with the gun side, cheap and nasty.

I have come across other other weapons made by Steyr also, if memory serves me right, quite a good sub machine gun amongst others.

On 24/06/2021 at 06:11, Lloyd90 said:

One of the biggest misconceptions is the 45acp vs 9mm.  Most would think the 45acp to be much harder on the shooter then the 9mm.  But the 45acp is a low pressure round that has more of a push then a recoil.  Plus 45acp chambered guns are normally bigger and heavier then 9mm so they absorb the push.  

On 24/06/2021 at 08:17, Pangolin said:

I've never handled one but I love the aesthetic.

1911s are very much like a classic car. They are heavy, hand fitted and a blast to drive.  There are lighter faster and better options for daily use but they don’t leave an impression on you like the classic. 

On 24/06/2021 at 10:26, Scully said:

This was mine. The solid rubber buffer on the base of the magazine was to prevent it being damaged too much when ejected during practical. I never dropped mine anyhow, but that’s what it’s there for. 
image.jpeg.6812e0e0c731ecc9fe62cf0076a5ee94.jpegimage.jpeg.39fa53534d4f43c9fa1abd9f969a22f8.jpeg

That a great looking patina piece.  What was the make?