Bercow eyeing up Labour leadership?

Dave-G

I really don't see what his wife has to do with anything relevant to his role as Speaker.

His behaviour was cringeworthy at times but he was dealing with quite a cast of Mavericks and Charlatans at the time which would have given pretty much any Speaker the run around. He made a lot of Politicians on both sides of the house very uncomfortable and I for one enjoyed much of the theatre associated with it all.

In the literal sense of cretin, Diane Abbott accepted, I don't think many members of the house truly fit that label.

In terms of behaviour I don't think he was any more odious or cretinous than the likes of say JRM or Mark Francois.

I also think he's spot on about Boris.

9 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I for one enjoyed much of the theatre associated with it all.

The theatre is not what he is there to do.  Nor is comedy.  Nor is imposing his own views by using his 'speaker' role.

He is there to be an impartial 'chairman' and stating that you will do everything he can to prevent Brexit (which I believe he did publicly state) is not being impartial.  It isn't 'party political' - that was a referendum result.

If you look at Betty Boothroyd, or the present Lindsay Hoyle (and also in his previous role as deputy - you get a picture of what the speaker's role is and how it is carried out.

Whatever you may think of Bercow (and I hear earlier on this thread that he has been helpful in his constituency role) - he brought the role of speaker into disrepute.

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

The theatre is not what he is there to do.  Nor is comedy.  Nor is imposing his own views by using his 'speaker' role.

He is there to be an impartial 'chairman' and stating that you will do everything he can to prevent Brexit (which I believe he did publicly state) is not being impartial.  It isn't 'party political' - that was a referendum result.

If you look at Betty Boothroyd, or the present Lindsay Hoyle (and also in his previous role as deputy - you get a picture of what the speaker's role is and how it is carried out.

Whatever you may think of Bercow (and I hear earlier on this thread that he has been helpful in his constituency role) - he brought the role of speaker into disrepute.

Beg to differ on the comedy, with Corbyn the no-mark on one side of the dispatch box and BoJo the clown on the other, I think comedy was the only way to maintain any sense of order and wider perspective. It was pantomime at times.

I do agree on the impartiality point and the fact that he brought the role of speaker into disrepute but I'm not going to pretend I didn't enjoy aspects of it.

Boothroyd and Hoyle have presided over very different times and dynamics in their role, so it's impossible to compare.

I really don't see what his wife has to do with anything relevant to his role as Speaker.

Perhaps you missed the truly dire snap of her, draped in a curtain, when he was the Speaker. She thrust herself into the limelight, using his position. 

In the literal sense of cretin, Diane Abbott accepted, I don't think many members of the house truly fit that label.

In terms of behaviour I don't think he was any more odious or cretinous than the likes of say JRM or Mark Francois.

Bit of a contradiction there.

Boothroyd and Hoyle have presided over very different times and dynamics in their role, so it's impossible to compare.

The times have nothing to do with the debate. They showed impartiality and conducted themselves with dignity, rather than the sneering idiot Bercow.

It really disgusts me that we seem to accept as politicians people of such a low grade and ability for such big jobs when it is clear they are beyond incompetent.

I  wouldn't employ Bercow to run a chip shop in a run down seaside resort. 

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

It really disgusts me that we seem to accept as politicians people of such a low grade and ability for such big jobs when it is clear they are beyond incompetent.

I  wouldn't employ Bercow to run a chip shop in a run down seaside resort. 

what like Jaywick............"E.U. Town of culture"

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Twinned with Cantley? 

be nice now..............we are just a bit backward here.....not a nasty place...its crime free...(apart from when someone nicked a pair of walking boots from the back door of a house about 30 years ago)......we are just a bit behind the times thats all:good:

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

be nice now..............we are just a bit backward here.....not a nasty place...its crime free...(apart from when someone nicked a pair of walking boots from the back door of a house about 30 years ago)......we are just a bit behind the times thats all:good:

Are you still wearing the boots ? 😊.

45 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Are you still wearing the boots ? 😊.

it wernt me ............it was a french tramp....he was living in the cricket hut.......and wandering about in the evening.....ended up down the station platform and touched up /groped my mates daughter who was waiting for a train into norwich.......she screamed...dad heard...cause they lived next to the station....frenchman ended up with several less teeth.and his nose spread evenly all over his face....and got kicked onto the railway tracks.....big police presence.....frenchman got sent back to garlic land....minus the boots he was wearing..:lol:

55 minutes ago, ditchman said:

it wernt me ............it was a french tramp....he was living in the cricket hut.......and wandering about in the evening.....ended up down the station platform and touched up /groped my mates daughter who was waiting for a train into norwich.......she screamed...dad heard...cause they lived next to the station....frenchman ended up with several less teeth.and his nose spread evenly all over his face....and got kicked onto the railway tracks.....big police presence.....frenchman got sent back to garlic land....minus the boots he was wearing..

😅😅😅ya gotta love Cantley 😅😅😅

On 22/06/2021 at 14:31, Gordon R said:

Perhaps you missed the truly dire snap of her, draped in a curtain, when he was the Speaker. She thrust herself into the limelight, using his position. `

I did, and feel no need to take a look in retrospect.

Bit of a contradiction there.

Not really, in the literal sense a cretin is an idiot or someone who is feebleminded. It would be difficult to argue that Diane Abbot isn't an idiot. Cretinous behaviour on the other hand is somewhat contextual and can be applied in describing an otherwise intelligent person behaving like an idiot. I think all three of the aforementioned are guilty of that, but it is subjective so likely not something we'd agree on.

The times have nothing to do with the debate. They showed impartiality and conducted themselves with dignity, rather than the sneering idiot Bercow.

Again, I beg to differ and if you really think Bercow is an idiot then again, not something we're ever likely to agree on.