New beige colour Eco clays cant be seen against blue sky !!! - What colour lenses ?

Shotkam

Been on a Sim day shooting the fairly New beige colour 70mm Eco clays 40 - 60 yards driven and they are almost impossible to see against the clear blue sky on a sunny day even with sun behind us.

If anyone knows of a lens colour that will work under these conditions it would be great to know.

The birds were practically at 12 oclock before any of the 18 guns could physically see them and plenty we never saw!

I have come across these, and they can be tricky to see. I cannot help with what lense colour best picks out these clays though.

I was at a CPSA registered shoot recently where someone was complaining about them. Someone else in my squad pointed out that he failed to see the lime green and blue clays, whilst another pointed out that bright orange can blend into an autumnal backdrop or dying grass.

We quickly realised that black, brown, white, orange, blue and green clays can all be problematic, which left us stumped for a universally colour clay that everyone can see.

9 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Two tone would be best, Clays need to be black underneath and neon orange or green on top.

That way seen from below looking into sky appear black and seen from above into background stand out.

Yes Two tone Eco clays would be versatile as they could be used for high driven against a blue sky and other targets.

Not sure how Eco the paint they spray on is and their present process is set up to spray one colour on the top surface.

It would add to costs to change their process and spray underside also, but not a lot of use throwing clays that you can't see.

2 hours ago, Shotkam said:

Yes Two tone Eco clays would be versatile as they could be used for high driven against a blue sky and other targets.

Not sure how Eco the paint they spray on is and their present process is set up to spray one colour on the top surface.

It would add to costs to change their process and spray underside also, but not a lot of use throwing clays that you can't see.

Well I would think that the simulated game days are not the biggest part of CCIs business. Black clays are available from other suppliers although not as eco as the new CCI version.

As I said earlier, we have been shooting these at registered competitions for a while and we have not been aware of any problems, they even blend in well on the ground and don't leave the unsightly mess where a load fall.

The Eco clays are the way forward, can be painted on the top (at extra cost) and I reckon they will be seen more and more.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well I would think that the simulated game days are not the biggest part of CCIs business. Black clays are available from other suppliers although not as eco as the new CCI version.

As I said earlier, we have been shooting these at registered competitions for a while and we have not been aware of any problems, they even blend in well on the ground and don't leave the unsightly mess where a load fall.

The Eco clays are the way forward, can be painted on the top (at extra cost) and I reckon they will be seen more and more.

Fair point and the issue was not helped by the fact that they had to use the smaller 60mm midis to travel the distance required to get over the guns.

The issue was not so apparent as soon as a clay was closer than 40yards above the guns, but you could no way even see them before they reached the 45 degree point in front.

I guess that not many shooting grounds have towers that can present targets above 40 yards over a stand and of course they can use larger clays with a tower being not too far from the shooter.

Yes, it's great to be moving away from oil based products. Richard Arnold's shooting ground are solely using eco now.

Contacted Laporte this morning and they replied almost instantly and said this is indeed something they will be looking at, so good news.

37 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Is there a recommendation on the lenses colour that would help them be more visible ?

to be a problem for many isn’t a good thing 

Yes - that was my original query, yet to hear from anyone about that.

Off to Abbey Lings next week hopefully, i'll check if she has Eco and choose a sunny day, blue sky to try some different lens colours and post results.

We have just gone over to them, only had a couple of days on the fully but had no comments yet. We ran about half and half on a  couple of sim days and no one noticed a difference,  but on most of our drives the clays are at 45 deg+anyway so you are all ways looking at the bottom of them.

53 minutes ago, Shotkam said:

Yes - that was my original query, yet to hear from anyone about that.

Off to Abbey Lings next week hopefully, i'll check if she has Eco and choose a sunny day, blue sky to try some different lens colours and post results.

The best I’ve found so far is cherry red lenses 

It certainly spoiled my day.   The whole point I assume on a make believe day is to present clays as the wild bird would appear.  NON of the midi clays presented to us on that day did that. It was obviously just a money saving deal as the larger clays would have cost more to put over the guns.  Shoot driven partridges over the hedges in historic style and you can see these birds as soon as they appear. The clays shown to us  on this make believe day where not easily picked up until almost overhead and watching the team shoot almost if not all the clays where shot at directly above or behind the line.  Not entertaining st all.  I clocked on after a couple of drives and just stood sideways and wiated for clays to almost stand still in the air before flattening them. Not what it is about and do not get me on the subject of shooting neighbours birds on these days.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

It certainly spoiled my day.   The whole point I assume on a make believe day is to present clays as the wild bird would appear.  NON of the midi clays presented to us on that day did that. It was obviously just a money saving deal as the larger clays would have cost more to put over the guns.  Shoot driven partridges over the hedges in historic style and you can see these birds as soon as they appear. The clays shown to us  on this make believe day where not easily picked up until almost overhead and watching the team shoot almost if not all the clays where shot at directly above or behind the line.  Not entertaining st all.  I clocked on after a couple of drives and just stood sideways and wiated for clays to almost stand still in the air before flattening them. Not what it is about and do not get me on the subject of shooting neighbours birds on these days.

Yes. I think that on many shoots....and why not after all...the clay is set to be a test not only of marksmanship but also of mental agility to work out exactly its flightline and speed. However on a proper simulated game day the targets should simulate game. 

I don't think the host realised the issue until that day and the guns to be honest took it well and knowone complained.

On drive 4  40 yard birds we managed to get off about 1 1/2 boxes and the 5th 40 - 60 under a box. That is on a 5000 bird day with 8 pairs of guns who were capable.

Drive 4 & 5 was nothing like a game shoot whatsoever.

I am fairly optimistic that Laporte are on the case with the issue now, so I'll put the day behind me and not dwell on it.

Edited by Shotkam

8 hours ago, Shotkam said:

I don't think the host realised the issue until that day and the guns to be honest took it well and knowone complained.

That's the problem, no one complains, no one says anything therefore its A OK.

That's the British way.

If a few took a stance, things may change.

On 22/06/2021 at 07:56, Centrepin said:

That's the problem, no one complains, no one says anything therefore its A OK.

That's the British way.

If a few took a stance, things may change.

No complains on the day, but I made him very aware of the situation and I informed the manufacturers.

I also made my feelings felt on the day I attended and I am now informed that things will change in the future.  My view on anything of this kind. If you want people to return and spend more money with you, then you make darn sure they hit a lot of what they shoot at, because at the end of the day they will go home very happy.   I enjoyed the social aspect and the hopitality which was excellent but not the presentation of the clays, which spoiled the day for me and I would not return.

Edited by Walker570