Solway

Ferretlurcher1970

7 hours ago, Ferretlurcher1970 said:

Was thinking of trying to shoot on the solway. Any advice of where to go or not to? Any guides places to stay etc

Solway is a big place. You can get day tickets from Scottish Solway Wildfowlers although not issuing just yet. Similarly day tickets from nature Scotland for the Caerlaverock National Natire Reserve and available from 1 July. Other parts are free access but you need to know where. Depending where you go plenty of local pubs do B&B. Can travel further to Wigtown Bay and get in touch with the local club. Brush up on your bird ID as thousands of barnacle geese present a challenge in the half light.

Good luck.

15 hours ago, Ferretlurcher1970 said:

Any personal recommendations?

Accommodation for the SSWA and Caerlaverock areas are the Kinmount Hotel at Carritherstown, The Farmers at Clarencefield, or The Nith Hotel at Glencaple. The latter is very busy as my pal guides on the inland goose shooting. Speaking to him last week they are pretty much booked up. Nobody is guiding on SSWA or Caerlaverock. At the latter the monitors, including me, will point you in the right direction but we don’t guide. It will help if you have previous experience on the Merse in Scotland. We enforce the rules at Caerlaverock strictly to ensure we can continue to use it.

33 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Is this for the whole season?

As far as I know there are no guides operating on either. There is one guiding ticket for SSWA but he has more or less retired. There are no official guides at Caerlaverock that I am aware of. Not saying someone won’t take a pal out from time to time.

Caerlaverock visitor tickets available from 01 July. SSWA have not started issuing their membership tickets yet this year.

3 minutes ago, Peterr said:

if you are thinking off shooting the solway buy yourself a powerfull set of binoculars  its known for its high shooting also a machine gun

Depends where you shoot. It is not a problem where the shooting areas are controlled.

10 hours ago, Ferretlurcher1970 said:

Was think of a couple of days . me shooting, wife passing the coffee

Caerlaverock is as good as anywhere when the geese are in. No charge for a ticket and well run so no high shooting. Tends to shoot better very early season, October or after Christmas. Avoid either side of the full moon as it really screws up the flights.

• 4 months later...