Angle grinder problem

walshie

I was cutting something with my 115mm angle grinder the other day and it just stopped. I unplugged it, checked everything was as it should be and when I plugged it in again it worked. It seemed to work fine, but it sounded like it was revving a lot faster than before. 

Any idea what might cause this?

Sounds a bit like a fuse problem. If a moulded plug check the fuse bases are connecting firmly with the fuse cartridge. If a replacement plug check the wires are screwed firmly into the sides of the electrical pins.

It could also be a broken wire in the mains cable, I have had this many times in all sorts of equipment like vacuum cleaners, irons etc More difficult to diagnose. Usually on the phase wire.

Could also be worn/broken brushes if your disc cutter has them.

Hope this helps

FB

35 minutes ago, Flyboy1950 said:

Sounds a bit like a fuse problem. If a moulded plug check the fuse bases are connecting firmly with the fuse cartridge. If a replacement plug check the wires are screwed firmly into the sides of the electrical pins.

It could also be a broken wire in the mains cable, I have had this many times in all sorts of equipment like vacuum cleaners, irons etc More difficult to diagnose. Usually on the phase wire.

Could also be worn/broken brushes if your disc cutter has them.

Hope this helps

FB

couldnt add any more than this...........:good:

39 minutes ago, walshie said:

Thanks. I'll check the fuse and wires but it seems odd it's revving faster. I'll see if I can dig the instruction book out to see if it has brushes and how to check them. 👍

there should be 2 little plastic (black) insert screws on the body near the handle/rota.....those are the brushes if you un screw them

quite honestly....if the fuse or the brushes are ok..............you might as well chuck it away and get a new one ...for the price they are............once you mend them they start the slippery slope of always wanting attention

27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

there should be 2 little plastic (black) insert screws on the body near the handle/rota.....those are the brushes if you un screw them

quite honestly....if the fuse or the brushes are ok..............you might as well chuck it away and get a new one ...for the price they are............once you mend them they start the slippery slope of always wanting attention

I agree.

25 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Could it be a thermal cut out? 

Were you working the grinder hard and for a long time?

Just cutting the top off a barrel. I'm more concerned about the speed increase really.