Mares Tail Weeds

Pushkin

I've been fighting a war on trying to get rid of these for quite a few years now but they just seem to keep coming back.  I have tried many of the strong weed killers and although they seem to knock them back - it's not long before they are showing their rhizomes again.

I'd appreciate any tips on the best way to deal with these monsters and if a flame weed gun, would perhaps be the best solution?

Pushkin:good:

I feel your pain - a nightmare weed.

Can you possibly do without the area it grows in for a couple of seasons? If you can then cover the area with thick black membrane/plastic and starve it of light. I know of no chemicals that will effectively kill it systemically. If you remove by hand bag it and bin it not in your compost bin as we do not want it. You need to clean up every scrap which is not easy and be careful you do not transfer it on your tools, brushes in particular. 

Good luck!

My neigbour had to dig down a good way to get rid; not an easy job. . . . I just let them grow to about 4 inch until the stems get tougher then put the jet-wash nozzle next to the stem where it goes into the ground to loosen their grip and I get a long root but never get rid completely ( I use same method with dandelions.

I used Gallup 360 successfully on it but it took many many applications and i ended up almost spraying it neat. Add a bit of washing up liquid when mixing as it helps stick to the foliage and spray using a knapsack.

Cheapest place is Amazon and dont forget to stamp on the stems first to encourage the weed to absorb it.

Takes time.

We've got mares tail , persistent stuff .

The ground around here is wet .

I just keep spraying with 360 every time I notice a bit .

10+ years now , it was here before me and it'll be here after I'm gone . While I'm here I'll just keep giving it a squirt !

A while ago I " accidentally " spilt some compost accelerator ( the banned weed killer typ ) it knocked the mares tail back in that area for a year . Back again now .

:lol:Ditchy, it is claggy clay soil and right where our patio area is at the back of the house. I'm really not wanting to have to lift the concrete slabs 3x2s as I am not the fit young man I was when I laid them.  Tales around here are about the local grave digger who had been down as deep as a triple lair and still hadn't got to the roots of them.  Dave-G I looked at that stuff in the link. Pearls is no longer being sold but they have an alternative to it.  It is called DIAMOND and at £57:95 / litre that's a bit pricey for me - but - if it works I may end up going for it.  I have heard that whatever you use on it you need to bruise it first to make it ingest the killer.  As some of you have advised.  Or the rub on Weedol which clings to it.  Also the soap trick to make it cling to the beast..   I agree it is horrible stuff.  Anyone tried one of the flame wands on it?

Pushkin :good:

Just now, Pushkin said:

Oh Henry d that would be easier I think- but I'm blessed with a fantastic house in a great area and the missus wouldn't allow that anyway.

🥴

Shame it is the easiest option. Our allotments were riddled with it, someone would get it in a corner and it would be dug up only to appear somewhere else, so they would dig that out and it would appear in the neighbouring plot and so on until it returned. Damn deep roots that seem to scoot under most barriers and if the stuff is rampant outside your garden just give up

I've had a look at the Kurtail - along with SBK - they come as a package and also Gallup 360  and they seem to have a good rep in general.  I can see it being a dose every 6 months for the next 5 years labour of love thing.  Henry d, it is rampant in the lane outside my house so I think it will be a while to get better.  Plenty of time on my hands nowadays:good:

Pushkin😎                            

1 hour ago, Pushkin said:

Ditchy, it is claggy clay soil and right where our patio area is at the back of the house. I'm really not wanting to have to lift the concrete slabs 3x2s as I am not the fit young man I was when I laid them.  Tales around here are about the local grave digger who had been down as deep as a triple lair and still hadn't got to the roots of them.  Dave-G I looked at that stuff in the link. Pearls is no longer being sold but they have an alternative to it.  It is called DIAMOND and at £57:95 / litre that's a bit pricey for me - but - if it works I may end up going for it.  I have heard that whatever you use on it you need to bruise it first to make it ingest the killer.  As some of you have advised.  Or the rub on Weedol which clings to it.  Also the soap trick to make it cling to the beast..   I agree it is horrible stuff.  Anyone tried one of the flame wands on it?

Pushkin :good:

If it is between the slabs it would be worth trying salt- works well if you want nothing to grow there.

That plant has been around for hundreds of millions of years and survived the extinction of the dinosaurs.

the only way to get rid is digg it out and kill anything that returns. Failing that your best bet is probably to crush the heads before applying strong weed killer with a paint brush to allow it to suck it in. It will take many applications if it works at all. 

Good luck, you'll need it. 

1 hour ago, discobob said:

It's funny that - I spill some of it a couple of times a year as well 😂 I do need to order some more for our non-existent compost heap!!!

The only thing I know of like that is Garrotta.  Is that the thing you are meaning or can you say some other makes/ brands such as the one you accidently spill now and then?????:lol:

5 hours ago, Pushkin said:

The only thing I know of like that is Garrotta.  Is that the thing you are meaning or can you say some other makes/ brands such as the one you accidently spill now and then?????

This is from my amazon history - Ammonium Sulphamate 5Kg

6 hours ago, discobob said:

This is from my amazon history - Ammonium Sulphamate 5Kg

That's the stuff , just be careful not to accidentally spill it after you've mixed it and put it in a watering can .

Or you might incur the wrath of the European garden politzi .

10 hours ago, cuffy said:

That's the stuff , just be careful not to accidentally spill it after you've mixed it and put it in a watering can .

Or you might incur the wrath of the European garden politzi .

Never!!! I would never do that!! How dare you Sir!! To cast those aspersions at me is terrible.

I use a 5 ltr sprayer :D

🤣