Wild Justice petition to ban grouse shooting rejected in Parliamentary debate

Yesterday the House of Commons petitions committee debated grouse shooting and it is well worth a read/watch (see links below). 

MPs from all parties took part and MPs emphasised the benefits of grouse shooting to wildlife, conservation and local communities.

Click here to watch the debate

Click here to read a transcript of the debate

Just read the transcript and some well put and reasoned argument against the petition. The conclusion seems to have been that there was even less support for it than the 2016 petition although that should not encourage us to sit back. Rather it is time we went on the offensive challenging WJ at every opportunity. Their vexatious approach to our way of life simply cannot be tolerated.

One point of concern for me. On the facts presented is the continual reference to permanent employment. It is time that greater regard was had to, and data collected, on casual employment of beaters and pickers up. Working as a picker up on one of the UKs premier estates it cannot be difficult to get data on the economic value of this. For many of the pickers up and particularly beaters that is their only employment for the year!. All the major shoots, grouse, pheasant and partridge will have their financial records of these costs and numbers employed. May I commend that our organisations work on this as it must add ammunition to our argument?

Edited by Dave at kelton

4 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Just read the transcript and some well put and reasoned argument against the petition. The conclusion seems to have been that there was even less support for it than the 2016 petition although that should not encourage us to sit back. Rather it is time we went on the offensive challenging WJ at every opportunity. Their vexatious approach to our way of life simply cannot be tolerated.

One point of concern for me. On the facts presented is the continual reference to permanent employment. It is time that greater regard was had to, and data collected, on casual employment of beaters and pickers up. Working as a picker up on one of the UKs premier estates it cannot be difficult to get data on the economic value of this. For many of the pickers up and particularly beaters that is their only employment for the year!. All the major shoots, grouse, pheasant and partridge will have their financial records of these costs and numbers employed. May I commend that the our organisations work on this as it must add ammunition to our argument?

I agree. The victory is extremely useful and should not be squandered. We should now build on this momentum. 

I thought there were some very good well reasoned arguments to keep grouse shooting and I can't see it going, at least not unless a party like the greens got in. It's a completely different kettle of fish to fox hunting with dogs, which I've got to be honest, I wasn't sorry to see go at all. 

So I emailed my local MP before the debate asking for his thoughts and support. I am based near Bristol.. and my Local MP only got one other email asking his view and for his support.. there are plenty of shooters in my area.. grouse shooters or not we MUST support all aspects of we are to Packham and his followers at bay...

On 22/06/2021 at 18:30, Dave at kelton said:

One point of concern for me. On the facts presented is the continual reference to permanent employment. It is time that greater regard was had to, and data collected, on casual employment of beaters and pickers up. Working as a picker up on one of the UKs premier estates it cannot be difficult to get data on the economic value of this. For many of the pickers up and particularly beaters that is their only employment for the year!. All the major shoots, grouse, pheasant and partridge will have their financial records of these costs and numbers employed. May I commend that our organisations work on this as it must add ammunition to our argument?

Dave thank you      being dislexic  have read some of the basc blurb and got lost  not stupid it takes so long to read and understand inc re reading         you highlighted points of interest i agree with behind the scenes paid or voluntary and after dark predator control    cover crop cost and plantation inc the benifits to ground nesters  and other species thrive because of good management         in the past  have had a chat with connor o gorman not dumb it down but         bullet point      still lacking      many shoot  clays      many shoot pigeon     many shoot all game  and vermin    etc   and yet none support each other        why           divided we fall          if you chip away at at a massive tree it will fall  

On 22/06/2021 at 11:03, Conor O'Gorman said:

Yesterday the House of Commons petitions committee debated grouse shooting and it is well worth a read/watch (see links below). 

MPs from all parties took part and MPs emphasised the benefits of grouse shooting to wildlife, conservation and local communities.

Click here to watch the debate

Click here to read a transcript of the debate

What a relief to read the above transcript, great result that will benefit ALL wildlife and moorland. we must ensure that all illegal activity is punished and all beneficial activity publicised. below is a letter forwarded to me from my MP yesterdayMC2021_15905 - GE - Angus MacNeil - Grouse shooting (1) (3).pdf

6 hours ago, Saltings said:

Dave thank you      being dislexic  have read some of the basc blurb and got lost  not stupid it takes so long to read and understand inc re reading         you highlighted points of interest i agree with behind the scenes paid or voluntary and after dark predator control    cover crop cost and plantation inc the benifits to ground nesters  and other species thrive because of good management         in the past  have had a chat with connor o gorman not dumb it down but         bullet point      still lacking      many shoot  clays      many shoot pigeon     many shoot all game  and vermin    etc   and yet none support each other        why           divided we fall          if you chip away at at a massive tree it will fall  

Dislexia does make this sort of stuff difficult but glad you picked up some of the points. Estate I pick up on probably 30-40 seasonal workers per shoot day 6 days a week! Being lost from the data in my view

10 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

So I emailed my local MP before the debate asking for his thoughts and support. I am based near Bristol.. and my Local MP only got one other email asking his view and for his support.. there are plenty of shooters in my area.. grouse shooters or not we MUST support all aspects of we are to Packham and his followers at bay...

Frustrates the hell out of me all the factions within country sports. Highlighted from the ban on fox hunting onwards! Pheasant shooters small bags v big bags, wildfowlers high shooters v the rest. Inland shooting a few geese v truck loads. When are we going to realise WJ want us all off the land!!!

3 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Frustrates the hell out of me all the factions within country sports. Highlighted from the ban on fox hunting onwards! Pheasant shooters small bags v big bags, wildfowlers high shooters v the rest. Inland shooting a few geese v truck loads. When are we going to realise WJ want us all off the land!!!

Exactly. We will all have our opinions on the bag sizes the high shot or not etc. Even the control of geese outside of fouling season but we all have one thing in common - we shoot. So no matter what the attack on us is, we should ALL back shooting, and at the same time condemn those who put us in bad light 

8 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

The problem with fox hunting with hounds was the complete disregard Some (and I know it wasn't all) they showed to other users of the country side. I simply cant back them.