Cockapoo question.

samboy

If you mated 2 cockapoos would the result be a cockapoo or just a bit of a mongrel ?.

Thanks all.

1 hour ago, samboy said:

If you mated 2 cockapoos would the result be a cockapoo or just a bit of a mongrel ?.

Thanks all.

The puppies could turn out like cockers, poodles or a mix depending on what genes got together. If you want a litter of cockapoos you realy need to use a cocker and a poodle. Even then there is no guarentee what characteristics are going to emerge.

Although why anyone would want a nutcase with a coat that needs a lot of maintenance I can't imagine. 🤷‍♀️

7 hours ago, samboy said:

Thanks all.

https://www.britishcockapoosociety.com/f1-f2-explained.html

Explained well above. 

Know a fair few people who own Cockerpoo’s. I’ve been glad when everyone of them has left. 

The ones I have seen appear to have inherited the worst characteristics of both breeds. 

High energy, yappy, hard headed but also soft. 

Their only quality appears to be that they are cute as pups 🤦‍♂️

15 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

The puppies could turn out like cockers, poodles or a mix depending on what genes got together. If you want a litter of cockapoos you realy need to use a cocker and a poodle. Even then there is no guarentee what characteristics are going to emerge.

Although why anyone would want a nutcase with a coat that needs a lot of maintenance I can't imagine. 🤷‍♀️

excactley this........and the same for sprockers..........they are a one time cross

8 hours ago, Pangolin said:

Ugly dogs, my mate has one.

I really dont like dogs that have the moustache type muzzle, not mad on curly haired dogs either, I really do dislike seeing them.

They seem to be everhwhere.

You don't have to have a moustache. You can clip them into lots of styles. I have a pedigree poodle and I clip him a different way nearly every time. No pompoms or puffy cuts though. :)

On 23/06/2021 at 08:48, Rob85 said:

I'm amazed that people can sell these dogs at a profit

These dogs have been selling for £1,200 - £2,000+ long before Covid inflated prices. 

It's simply supply and demand.

The vast majority of the general pups buy dog's as companions. Pretty much the dog's only job is to exist, whilst the owner's pick their dogs based almost entirely on which breeds they like the look of.

Small fluffy/cute dogs are therefore in high demand.

For years I have seen people breeding good quality / award winning gundogs and struggled to sell pups (particularly dog pups).

The Covid prices at the moment do appear to be crashing mind, and I am seeing litter's of pups being advertised EVERYWHERE. 

29 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

These dogs have been selling for £1,200 - £2,000+ long before Covid inflated prices. 

It's simply supply and demand.

The vast majority of the general pups buy dog's as companions. Pretty much the dog's only job is to exist, whilst the owner's pick their dogs based almost entirely on which breeds they like the look of.

Small fluffy/cute dogs are therefore in high demand.

For years I have seen people breeding good quality / award winning gundogs and struggled to sell pups (particularly dog pups).

The Covid prices at the moment do appear to be crashing mind, and I am seeing litter's of pups being advertised EVERYWHERE. 

I suppose giving these dogs their own separate name means over time its been accepted almost as a breed. Granted most dogs did start as crossbred but they were selectively bred for physical abilities like pointing and flushing or high prey drive. But breeding dogs on looks alone is a bad road to go down, case in point being the kennel club shows scandal involving the king Charles spaniel and the well known health problems in Pugs.

Ive nothing against healthy crossbreeds really, my remaining dog is an 8 year old bitch and is a springer/collie crossbreed, damned if I paid hundreds or thousands for her though! What does irk me is giving these dogs a cutsie 'breed' name and demanding massive prices, I guess it comes down to advertising... what looks better, "cocker/poodle crossbred pups for sale" or "cockapoo pups for sale"

Cockerpoos have been bred since the 1960s.

We have one and he's great, very obedient and has one hell of a nose on him. He does fetch things I shoot round the paddock but I haven't the patience to train him to be a gun dog. I have no doubt he could easily do the job. 

He doesn't moult or smell. The prices are daft but I don't think that's restricted to cockerpoos.