A Game Of Two Halves

marsh man

No I am talking about football although with the big game less than a hour away this will be on most peoples mind .

What I mean about a game with two halves sums up my performance this afternoon trying to decrease the Pigeon population in my very small neck of the woods , I have often said I don't give the cartridges a thought when I slip them in the breech , well a couple of years ago our good friend on the forum ( Old Boggy ) very kindly gave me some various boxes of cartridges he no longer wanted , he won't mind me saying that some were getting on a bit and could well be collectors items , one example was half a box of Hymax still in the original box , one of my favorite cartridges when you could shoot wildfowl with lead , that was then but getting back to today I put a couple of boxes of shells in my cartridge bag that I hadn't come across in the past , one was Kentish Fire , special hi-velocity , and the other one was Super county High Pheasant.

I only intended to go for two or three hours as I had asked our young picker upper if he wanted a day on the Peas this coming Saturday , I would had left it till then but due to the recent heavy rain I hadn't been and the Pigeons were building up on the thin patches so I had to do my bit , I now leave the rotary more and more at home and just rely on static decoys and two floaters , my hide was already up so all I had to do was put 20 odd full body and shell decoys out and a low floater at the back and one a bit higher at the front , having put up about 100 pigeons from the Peas and out of the trees it didn't take long before the first one was heading towards the pattern in the very stiff wind , two shots fired and one very scared pigeon flew off untouched , a few minutes later another shot and again nothing on the score board , the next had another two shots aimed in his direction and after flying towards the next tree it did finally collapse , one out of five and I was beginning to wonder if Chris had removed most of the shot for a laugh ,  these thoughts were soon dismissed when two came from my behind , swung into the decoys and one ended up amongst the decoys and the other one was a nice crossing shot that dropped into the next door Wheat field , Bobbie was pleased as he knew he was going to get a retrieve , this went on for the rest of the box , kill one , miss one , hit one and so on .

Moving on to the next box ( High Pheasant ) was a complete contrast , by then I might have had my eye in but it didn't bother me one bit when I missed as I killed some good birds , around five o clock I was getting cold with the North Easterly wind and I had 23 in the bag , two more or pack up at half past five or what come first , as it turned out I got two more making a final bag of 25 with nearly 50 shots fired , all in all a good afternoon and like I said at the beginning , a game of two halves , thanks for reading and a big THANKS for Old Boggy for the cartridges :good: 

As always a cracking report MM and a great result especially at this time of year. Thanks for posting.

Of course, you are right, but I only took the shot out of half of the cartridges just to keep you guessing :yahoo:

I`m out later today and if I get just a fifth of your bag, I`ll be well pleased.

OB

15 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

As always a cracking report MM and a great result especially at this time of year. Thanks for posting.

Of course, you are right, but I only took the shot out of half of the cartridges just to keep you guessing :yahoo:

I`m out later today and if I get just a fifth of your bag, I`ll be well pleased.

OB

you exceeded that, at just short of one quarter... or 24% if you want to get technical :D