Plant ID & some interesting bits

7daysinaweek

Mrs 7days and I have just had a short break away down in Felixstowe, Suffolk and very nice it was. Six hour plus hour drive down on Friday in bloomin awful rain but once we arrived the weather was all good. Visited Flatford mill which was very nice with a few lovely walks and have not seen as many rabbits in many a year which was encouraging with no mixy in sight.

Visited Languard Fort which we walked to from our hotel along the seafront and came across several coastal plants that we had never seen before and very pleasing on the eye. (pics below) We found the fort fascinating and took a few pics of the replica gun which was impressive not only it's ingenuity, but also it's size, if I recall the barrel alone weighed 38 tonnes, and you can see the 'small' shell which took two chaps to lift, around the 800lb mark, that is going to give one a hernia for sure. The rope curtains were soaked in a chemical to stop flash burn, and It must have been like a bomb going off, I dread to think of hearing damage it must have caused. 

Can anyone identify the couple of bits below and the uses for these?, I would think a good few will know.

Drive home was straightforward in very nice weather with light traffic all the way, hardly seen a pigeon on the outgoing and incoming journey of over the 500 mile mark and I had kept a keen  eye out for any.

@Jim Neal

Cheers for the heads up Jim, we survived! :lol:

atb

7diaw

IMG-20210622-WA0029_opt.jpg

IMG-20210622-WA0028_opt.jpg

IMG-20210622-WA0027_opt.jpg

IMG-20210622-WA0025 - Copy_opt.jpg

IMG-20210622-WA0015_opt.jpg

IMG-20210622-WA0026_opt.jpg

IMG-20210622-WA0024 - Copy (2)_opt.jpg

IMG-20210622-WA0023 - Copy_opt.jpg

I`m sure that JDog will be along shortly to correct me but I think that the second one is some sort of Saxifrage and the third I`ve always known as Agrimony, but I may be wrong. No idea on the first one.

OB

That shell doesn't look that big, probably because of how big the gun is behind it, I really like these refurbished guns and the history behind them, get yourself to Jersey when you feel like flying again,  you'll love it.

Sounds like a long drive but a nice trip 👍

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

I`m sure that JDog will be along shortly to correct me but I think that the second one is some sort of Saxifrage and the third I`ve always known as Agrimony, but I may be wrong. No idea on the first one.

OB

Thanks OB

I have just looked up Agrimony and it does appear a very likely match. I have never encountered it before on our local beaches, maybe I have had my eyes shut! 

35 minutes ago, Mice! said:

That shell doesn't look that big, probably because of how big the gun is behind it, I really like these refurbished guns and the history behind them, get yourself to Jersey when you feel like flying again,  you'll love it.

Sounds like a long drive but a nice trip 👍

That was a replica and it was very convincing, it was only when I knocked it with my knuckles that I realised it was 'plazzy'. The information board said that the original was cut up once it was decommissioned. Believe me, the replica shells were huge. 

Cheers K

8 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

@Jim Neal

Cheers for the heads up Jim, we survived! 

Glad to hear it, and nice photos.

You obviously didn't play pool against the local hardman nutter type of guy down "The Grove" (The Grosvenor) like I did (I remember his name but I won't say it for security purposes).  He gave me a "friendly" head-butt when I seven-balled him.  Lovely chap!