Hymenoscyphus fraxineus strikes the Wolds.

JDog

It's like watching a train crash in super-slow motion isn't it 😕

Ash dieback has really taken hold around my way.  The forestry department of the local estate have decided now to just work around the woods and take it all out - at least they'll be salvaging decent firewood.

I have read that there may be some individual ash trees that show resistance to the infection and can survive it, and that landowners should consider leaving them alone in the hope that these trees can be parents to other resistant ones.  But how do you know which are resistant and which aren't, before it's too late?

A very tricky problem for forestry managers.

All the young ash saplings in my wood are dead or dying from it and the large old trees, some probably 75-100 years old are showing signs. I understand this was brought in from eastern Europe in a truck full of ash saplings.  WHY we need to import trees which grow like weeds here I do not know. Has to be money involved somewhere I bet.

I planted poplars because I needed an instant wood but then planted acorns and allowed the ash to naturally grow and there must be thousands. This was to ensure a long term wood as poplars have a relatively short life.  Fortunately the oak are thriving along with a lot of walnut from nuts planted by crows dropping them when unable to break them open.

1 hour ago, Jim Neal said:

Ash dieback has really taken hold around my way.  The forestry department of the local estate have decided now to just work around the woods and take it all out - at least they'll be salvaging decent firewood.

Read that in a few places now.

Die back (around here anyway) really hits hard when they are 20-30ft on. The amount of private work here atm is unbelievable. Can be bloody dangerous to fell as well. Elm disease is ridiculous as well, out of 1 hedge line I took out 82 trees ranging from 20-70ft. That was within 150 yards. I can look over the housing estates and every one has dead trees hung up, Ash or Elm in the back gardens. 

10 hours ago, Walker570 said:

All the young ash saplings in my wood are dead or dying from it and the large old trees, some probably 75-100 years old are showing signs. I understand this was brought in from eastern Europe in a truck full of ash saplings.  WHY we need to import trees which grow like weeds here I do not know. Has to be money involved somewhere I bet.

I planted poplars because I needed an instant wood but then planted acorns and allowed the ash to naturally grow and there must be thousands. This was to ensure a long term wood as poplars have a relatively short life.  Fortunately the oak are thriving along with a lot of walnut from nuts planted by crows dropping them when unable to break them open.

It was another down side of being an EU member I expect, that was certainly one of the issues with dutch elm disease due to bio security issues. 

So little in the media about this, it will be devastating to the UK countryside. Ash is the predominant tree on the Wold’s, in fact grows like a weed given half a chance, but I guess within 10 years the vast majority will be dead. It kills young trees quickly, the old ones it seems to be take a lot longer. My single tree in the garden happens to be an Ash, i thought it was thinning a little on top last year but this year it is obvious it has the disease. 

Edited by scolopax

I've got about 20 ash trees, about half mature. One or two of the big ones seem clear and healthy (cross fingers), and one or two of the smaller ones. The rest seem to have it pretty bad and will need to come down, at great expense. I believe somewhere between 8 and 12% of ash have some level of immunity...

It’s really sad . 

I am a Forester and see it in everything from pencil thin regen under 5 years old right through to ancient ash a few hundred years old. They estimate it will be all over the country in 30 years and we will lose nearly all our ash. 

Like Elm they hope some show a resistance but the hedge rows , woods and forests are going to be a very different place for our grand kids. 

On 24/06/2021 at 20:51, Walker570 said:

I understand this was brought in from eastern Europe in a truck full of ash saplings.  WHY we need to import trees which grow like weeds here I do not know. Has to be money involved somewhere I bet.

And government intends to plant "millions" ? of tree saplings in the wake of HS2 destruction. Guess where most of those will be coming from.