Not a big bag but a good bag.

Scully

Some mornings and most evenings I’d noticed corvids on a local farmers crop, simply walking the shoots and pulling them up. The crop was in strips of about twenty yards, and then a strip of spring barley, alternating across the field. I had no idea what it was but it was certainly attracting birds, so mentioned it to the farmer who said, ‘Just crack on’, so after knocking on the door of a lady who has a horse in the next field , whom also said crack on, I blew the cobwebs from my gear and made ready.

It had drizzled all night and was hot and humid and I was more than a little wet from hugging the hedge to avoid trampling the young barley, after setting up in the bottom of it with my back to the horse. 
I had four plastic crow decoys which aren’t ideal, but there you go. 
I had with me my Perazzi MX4C  and a full cartridge bag consisting of Gamebore Clear Pigeon, Eley Pigeon Select and Cheddite Royal Drive, all 30grm 6’s I think. 
There was absolutely no wind at all, not a breath, and any birds on the flight line coming from behind were very high and not even worth raising the gun to. 
A couple of inquisitive crows called by for a look, and I missed them both; one being so skanky and bedraggled I’m sure it passed through a gap in the pattern! 🙂

Anyhow, the next bird to visit was well and truly clattered, and as is Sod’s law landed on its back, so picked a route through as many bare patches in the barley and added it to the pattern. This was to be repeated for every single bird bar one! 
There were some memorable misses as well as memorable hits, the former being a pigeon which took me totally by surprise and left unscathed by either barrel, and an almost stationary crow which just hung there while I fired twice at it…..and missed! 
Memorable hits were a crow which just seemed to get higher as it grew closer, while I tried to shrink into the ground behind the net to avoid being seen until it was close enough. I could feel my knees starting to buckle however so decided to give it a barrel. I was sure I’d hit it, but it was a fair range and the shot just made it rear away so I never bothered with a follow up shot, but as I watched both it’s legs came down and although it was still flying I knew it was struggling, and suddenly it just crumpled and dropped. I walked almost a 100 yards to pick it and replaced one of the plastics with it. Another was a jackdaw which erupted in feathers as it flew into the pattern, it’s downy feathers just hanging in the air for ages. 
Another was killing one of a pair only to see its mate circle around and back into the pattern, where it was killed also. 
I ended the day at about 1500 with only 14, but I was pleased with the quality of the shots I’d taken as there was some impressive dead in the air kills at distance in my opinion, and it was a great way to spend a few hours. Decoying for me is just a fabulous way to chill out and I always enjoy it, although I don’t get to do it as often as I’d like. 
For those who don’t have one, the Primos call is a superb bit of kit, and well worth taking the time to practise….throw away the instructions and just listen to the birds. 
Avoid the Cheddites, dirty dirty cartridges. 🙂

Thankyou. Bumped into the landowner going into the pub last night just as I was leaving. He was well pleased I’d taken the time, and said I should just carry on as and when I saw fit, so jobs a good un. 👍

The crop is fodder beet, and there must be one patch of at least 100m2 that is just about bare. We’ve maybe left it too late really as it’s now getting up a bit, but as long as the birds show an interest I will too.

I could have mentioned it to him some time ago really, and probably should have. I know him fairly well, but as a relative newcomer to the village ( I’ve been here for about four years now ) and being aware that there are many many shooters locally I didn’t want to seem like I was pushing in, even though the pub landlord whom I’ve often beaten and shot with, has told me not to worry about stepping on anyone’s toes, as often they have the opportunity to do it but don’t, but I’m still a bit reluctant to push in. 
It’s a fabulous community and as an outsider I don’t want to rattle anyone’s cage, but the landowners attitude has set my mind at ease to a certain extent, and it’s always been obvious to me given the numbers of magpies and rabbits, no one has been doing it. 
Thanks for the replies, I’ll post up further escapades. 👍

Really enjoyed your detailed report Scully , I could match you on your choice of cartridges but sadly at the other end of the scale when it comes to fire power , my old everyday gun is BSA ejector , I say ejector but have got in the habit where I take the empties out myself and put them in my cartridge bag , If I had a Perazzi the villages would think I was a man of means and might ask me to open the village fete , maybe I should think about saving my pennies up if that was the case :lol:

Look forward to more oncoming reports.

38 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Really enjoyed your detailed report Scully , I could match you on your choice of cartridges but sadly at the other end of the scale when it comes to fire power , my old everyday gun is BSA ejector , I say ejector but have got in the habit where I take the empties out myself and put them in my cartridge bag , If I had a Perazzi the villages would think I was a man of means and might ask me to open the village fete , maybe I should think about saving my pennies up if that was the case 

Look forward to more oncoming reports.

🙂 Thanks Marsh man. It’s an old Perazzi, from the 1980’s or so, and wasn’t expensive as it’s nothing impressive as far as they go, but it’s a favourite and I seem to shoot ok with it.