Shooting gloves

Townie

7 minutes ago, Townie said:

That’s what started me off on this! They seem a very good thing, but not cheap.

Things have gone to pot since they were first introduced. They came in proper glove sizes and the 'add ons' were optional extras. I can't remember how long I've had mine. The palm swell is good as is the heat shield, but the winter lining has never really been necessary.

19 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Every time this subject comes up I state that Flying Gloves are what you need.

Agreed. Ideal for OU, but if your SbS is small in the hand and the barrels are to get too warm, then not so good.

15 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

So don't use a gun that is not designed for clays to get so hot due to the number of shots!

So, a driven game shooter who can be expected to fire a shot or two in quick succession on a good day should not practice with the gun he prefers to use on the day. Yep, makes sense not.

34 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I totally agree, beg, borrow or steal them, best I've ever used. Although the Gripswell look the buisness.

Yep, because of what they are the flying gloves have a cuff so when the safety catch wears a hole in the thumb you can patch it with a bit from the cuff.

9 minutes ago, wymberley said:

So, a driven game shooter who can be expected to fire a shot or two in quick succession on a good day should not practice with the gun he prefers to use on the day. Yep, makes sense not.

If he is practicing clays and getting the hot barrel problem, why was he not getting the problem before?

One is not the same as the other!

Because whilst the gun is great for driven, it is not designed for multiple shots in quick succession on clays. horses for courses really.

42 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

If he is practicing clays and getting the hot barrel problem, why was he not getting the problem before?

One is not the same as the other!

Because whilst the gun is great for driven, it is not designed for multiple shots in quick succession on clays. horses for courses really.

Ah so the guns I see using side by sides on a driven day with up to 200 shots to a single gun on a drive shouldn’t be using them?

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Have you thought of getting the type of hand guard that slides onto the barrels in front of the forend?

Thats what I usually use because I don’t like wearing a left glove as I load with the left hand.

Already got one, but it slides a bit when hot and when opening , fingertips touch the barrels. Plus it makes me a bit nervous in case I burn myself. I shoot clays midweek and usually stay on a stand (provided no one else waiting) until I’m hitting consistently or it’s a waste of cartridges, which leads to a hot gun. And then there’s the odd sim day. I think I’ll look at a left hand golf glove which may work.

Or I could man up and not have hands like a girl.

Edited by Townie

On 26/06/2021 at 10:16, Scully said:

I have a brand new never been used leather hand guard for a 12 bore sxs if you’re interested in buying it? 

Hello, as above save all the hassle of gloves, and improves your stance getting the stock in the shoulder 

On 26/06/2021 at 12:06, Townie said:

Already got one, but it slides a bit when hot and when opening , fingertips touch the barrels. Plus it makes me a bit nervous in case I burn myself. I shoot clays midweek and usually stay on a stand (provided no one else waiting) until I’m hitting consistently or it’s a waste of cartridges, which leads to a hot gun. And then there’s the odd sim day. I think I’ll look at a left hand golf glove which may work.

Or I could man up and not have hands like a girl.

Hello, these have a steel insert so you could tweak it in a bit and will hold barrels better