Homemade Prosciutto Ham

Pangolin

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SO3isme said:

It does look delicious. How did you 'air dry' ?

I wrapped it in muslin, hung it in the garage and durng prolonged periods of good weather I had it outside.

IMAG1190.jpg

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

Wow that looks great. Our kind of food. My boys would have that down to the bone in less than a day. 

Thank you.

It was made from pork that was reared by a bloke I worked with, bought straight from him, cured at home. Shropshire living, haha.

It was probably worth a lot of money once cured, it cost me about £40 to do once buying the leg and salt.

Great with some bread, cheese, wine, ale.

It was really nice, I'm thinking about doing another one soon after finding these pictures.

As I was reading other recipes I seen one for goose pastrami and salami. Luckily I've just aquired some shooting with land covered in Greylag and Canada, shame I have to wait for the Greys as there are loads of them doing the same damage as the Canadas.

Edited by Pangolin

Oh my that looks good. Armed with some suitable cheeses, crackers and a crisp dry cider that ham would keep me occupied for a while.

Starting to think just looking at the food and drink section is getting bad for my health haha

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks superb mate!  Did you bury it in salt only or did you use a salt & nitrate/nitrite cure?  You get attached to the legs when they’re drying don’t you - it’s like having another child to look after 😀