Wireless alarm

steve_b_wales

I think I mentioned this a long time ago, but, like most things, never got around to sorting one out. Anyway, I'm looking for one that's not too difficult to install, and that I can add 'extra's should I need them. Ideally, an alarm that will protect both front and back doors of my property, a sensor fitted to my mancave, and perhaps one that I can control different zones, ie, arm downstairs while I'm in bed etc.

18 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Texecom ricochet system.

Wireless mesh system whereby each sensor relays info/signal to avoid any black spots.

Only wired part is the main panel. 

Used to only fit Texecom wired but switched to these the other year. 

This^^^

With a SmartCom communicator and their App. 

Edited by Newbie to this

On 26/06/2021 at 18:26, Jaymo said:

Texecom ricochet system.

Wireless mesh system whereby each sensor relays info/signal to avoid any black spots.

Only wired part is the main panel. 

Used to only fit Texecom wired but switched to these the other year. 

My existing alarm is a wired Scantronic 9448 and its just gone on the blink so time to replace, would you keep it as a wired system and upgrade to include CCTV, with another Scantronic or go for Texecom. 

Advise would be much appreciated.

3 hours ago, claydodger said:

Advise would be much appreciated.

Are the wireless types battery powered?  If so, although it may not cost a fortune, it is rather a pain to have to replace all of the batteries periodically.  I have had a wireless thermostat in the past - and it needed batteries annually, then resetting up each time afterwards - which was a pain.  I assume a modern alarm system would retain set up information whilst batteries are changed.

I would also worry that wireless technology doesn't like either thick old style walls, or modern foil faced insulation, both of which can severely limit wireless operation.

Take a look at the 'Ring' alarm system from Amazon Steve.

You can build a system up to whatever spec you choose with motion and magnetic sensors and cctv. I have gone this route and over the last year have installed numerous sensors throughout my home. It operates via wifi so cuts down on installation time and in even of a lack of broadband it switches to internal mobile phone 3g. The batteries in the motion/door sensors last for 3 years and the siren box thing will happily run for 23hrs on its own power. The basic system includes a wifi signal booster so if you have a dead or weak spot in house which needs its signal amplifying you simply plug in the booster.

I have an app on my phone which allows me to check the cameras whenever i choose and can switch it on/off using the same app or the keypad or Alexa.

I know it sounds like i work for Amazon,but i promise you i dont! im only speaking from my own personal experience.

Last year when i renewed my fac licensing were getting a bit squeaky about the amount of rifles,shotguns and a pistol i own so i decided to bite the bullet and get it sorted.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ring-alarm-5-piece-kit-2nd-generation/dp/B08L5TWL9D/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2G75X2WWEWMAA&dchild=1&keywords=ring+alarm+system&qid=1625244034&sprefix=ring+a%2Caps%2C219&sr=8-1

1 hour ago, Imperfection said:

Take a look at the 'Ring' alarm system from Amazon Steve.

You can build a system up to whatever spec you choose with motion and magnetic sensors and cctv. I have gone this route and over the last year have installed numerous sensors throughout my home. It operates via wifi so cuts down on installation time and in even of a lack of broadband it switches to internal mobile phone 3g. The batteries in the motion/door sensors last for 3 years and the siren box thing will happily run for 23hrs on its own power. The basic system includes a wifi signal booster so if you have a dead or weak spot in house which needs its signal amplifying you simply plug in the booster.

I have an app on my phone which allows me to check the cameras whenever i choose and can switch it on/off using the same app or the keypad or Alexa.

I know it sounds like i work for Amazon,but i promise you i dont! im only speaking from my own personal experience.

Last year when i renewed my fac licensing were getting a bit squeaky about the amount of rifles,shotguns and a pistol i own so i decided to bite the bullet and get it sorted.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ring-alarm-5-piece-kit-2nd-generation/dp/B08L5TWL9D/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2G75X2WWEWMAA&dchild=1&keywords=ring+alarm+system&qid=1625244034&sprefix=ring+a%2Caps%2C219&sr=8-1

Thanks. Will certainly take a closer look at this. I too have numerous firearms, and so far, I have never had an FEO question my security. But I think it's only a matter of time, plus, I like the thought of my home being protected.

On 02/07/2021 at 13:39, JohnfromUK said:

Are the wireless types battery powered?  If so, although it may not cost a fortune, it is rather a pain to have to replace all of the batteries periodically.  I have had a wireless thermostat in the past - and it needed batteries annually, then resetting up each time afterwards - which was a pain.  I assume a modern alarm system would retain set up information whilst batteries are changed.

I would also worry that wireless technology doesn't like either thick old style walls, or modern foil faced insulation, both of which can severely limit wireless operation.

How else would you expect wireless anything to work? 
The battery replacement is the obvious downside, but lithium technology sees them lasting much more than a year so not the end of the world. 
They’re much much better than they were range/wall type wise. Texecom a common brand the professionals will install, horses for courses and I’d always opt for a wired system where possible to do so but in many houses especially old ones it cuts down the labour so much going for a wireless alarm! 

7 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

How else would you expect wireless anything to work?

You could have a system with ‘wall warts’ for power, but wireless data, as done on (for example) a mesh type WiFi system.

7 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Texecom a common brand the professionals will install

Indeed, and I have a (wired) Texecom system myself.  

My concerns over wireless are based around my own experience of various wireless things being quite demanding to get working well in old buildings where both thick stone walls and modern foil clad insulation materials are both present.

46 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

My concerns over wireless are based around my own experience of various wireless things being quite demanding to get working well in old buildings where both thick stone walls and modern foil clad insulation materials are both present.

And all these things still exist, but with modern wireless technology like Texecom's, each device is a transmitter, receiver and most importantly a repeater. If only 1 device is in range of the control panel, as long as the other devices are in range of each other the system will communicate.

With regards to battery life, Texecom state with average use (who knows what that is), 3 - 4 years.

Wireless alarms have moved on leaps and bounds.

I should add wired systems will always be more reliable, for obvious reasons.

I've just installed one of the Yale 'smart home' systems.

Not cheap but simple to install & set up with the benefit of adding additional door contacts, movement detectors etc as requried.

Controlled via a phone app or you can use a keypad.

My only gripe with the ssytem is the notification when the system activates.

Internal & external sounders are great but you just get a text &/or email message when the system goes into full 'Alarm' mode.

The message is the same for all notifications so if you arm/disarm the system the message looks the same as the one if you actaully had an intruder.

I would have expected my phone to buzz/flash etc with a message that really screams out 'INTRUDER ALERT'but it doesnt.

It just says 'you have a notification from your intruder alarm. You then have to read what the text says.

I use my phone all day & get hundreds of emails so its easy to miss.

I have an iphone so am looking to see if I can get the phone to do something different if I get an email notification specifically from my intruder system.    

Hope that helps everyone.

Steve

1 hour ago, SLWC said:

I've just installed one of the Yale 'smart home' systems.

Not cheap but simple to install & set up with the benefit of adding additional door contacts, movement detectors etc as requried.

Controlled via a phone app or you can use a keypad.

My only gripe with the ssytem is the notification when the system activates.

Internal & external sounders are great but you just get a text &/or email message when the system goes into full 'Alarm' mode.

The message is the same for all notifications so if you arm/disarm the system the message looks the same as the one if you actaully had an intruder.

I would have expected my phone to buzz/flash etc with a message that really screams out 'INTRUDER ALERT'but it doesnt.

It just says 'you have a notification from your intruder alarm. You then have to read what the text says.

I use my phone all day & get hundreds of emails so its easy to miss.

I have an iphone so am looking to see if I can get the phone to do something different if I get an email notification specifically from my intruder system.    

Hope that helps everyone.

Steve

Very interesting Steve, thanks for that.