A decent bag but somehow disappointing.

JDog

On Friday afternoon Jacko and I went for a drive round looking for opportunities for today. One port of call was a field of set aside which Clodhopper had seen birds going into from half a mile away earlier in the week. 

There were four if not five lines going in with an average of five pigeons per minute. Unfortunately I don't have permission on this field but found out who it belonged to intending to make contact this afternoon. 

The next field we looked at had good lines in too. This was peas. This would be our reserve if we couldn't get on the first field.

I spoke to the owner this afternoon and he said he would refer my request to his nephew and get back to me. He never did return my call so we shot the peas.

We shot over fifty pigeons which was good but my mind was elsewhere. The set aside would have been much more exciting.

7 minutes ago, JDog said:

On Friday afternoon Jacko and I went for a drive round looking for opportunities for today. One port of call was a field of set aside which Clodhopper had seen birds going into from half a mile away earlier in the week. 

There were four if not five lines going in with an average of five pigeons per minute. Unfortunately I don't have permission on this field but found out who it belonged to intending to make contact this afternoon. 

The next field we looked at had good lines in too. This was peas. This would be our reserve if we couldn't get on the first field.

I spoke to the owner this afternoon and he said he would refer my request to his nephew and get back to me. He never did return my call so we shot the peas.

We shot over fifty pigeons which was good but my mind was elsewhere. The set aside would have been much more exciting.

Fifty Pigeons is not to be sneezed at , the owner of the set aside field might have wanted them left alone as they wouldn't have been doing a lot of harm , while they are on the set aside then they are not feeding on a more valuable crop he might have .

Annoying but they won't be on it for much longer , Peas can't be far off with vining and the grain is ripening nicely .

Why is it always when you find a field/flight line to get really excited about that you can’t shoot it…..totally understand your frustration as I’ve been there many times in the past! 
50 plus is always a good afternoon though, and enough to keep you busy. 

Keep an eye on the phone though, just in case! 

9 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Why is it always when you find a field/flight line to get really excited about that you can’t shoot it…..totally understand your frustration as I’ve been there many times in the past! 
50 plus is always a good afternoon though, and enough to keep you busy. 

Keep an eye on the phone though, just in case! 

Going on any non essential ( crop ) is to me a bit of a bonus , if you already shoot the land then it is not normally much of a problem but for a total stranger to seek permission then it is not that easy , at one time on our estate the head keeper won't let you go on Pea stubble as in his view , while the pigeons were on the pea stubble then the barley fields near by were left alone , now times have changed and I can go wherever I see Pigeons , this change slightly at the end of July when the young game birds are put in the release pens.

This is the time of the year where anyone looking for a perm should keep an eye on the ripening Barley fields for any pigeon activity , the farmers and staff are to busy getting ready for the on coming harvest to worry about pigeons going on barley and a lot of the times when they have a quick look the pigeons are on a small laid patch and can't be seen as they drive past . once you get the go ahead and do a decent job then there is a good possibility you can go on the stubbles and you have then gained the first foot on the ladder for pigeon permissions . GOOD LUCK.

14 hours ago, Vetty said:

Cheers Jdog for taking my husband  out  and keeping him out of my hair 😂 mossy he says video will follow

It was a struggle taking him out again but he does teach me quite a lot.

I suppose you are working on the basis that 'if you can't beat 'em join 'em'.