Gun Drawer For Car - Are they worth it?

Shadowchaser

Has anyone here ever installed a gun drawer/safe in the back of their vehicle? 

It's something you see at shows and in magazines but apart from people who have dog cages, I'm not sure I recall seeing anyone with a dedicated gun drawer. 

I'm thinking the next time I change my vehicle (and I like to keep them for a few years) that I'll install a gun drawer.

Does anyone here have any experience of them? 

IMHO if you have the space for one why not. OTOH if the vehicle is actually driven off and stolen then away it goes gun drawer and all. My own belief is that a removable metal take down gun cabinet adapted so that it can be chained through the bodywork of the vehicle may be a better option.

But the problem is that what happens if the vehicle is broken at the moment the the gun drawer and or chained cabinet become visible to the opportunist thief? At which point unless they are pressed for time of disturbed then it may become something they can attack to force open. It's a dilemna.

Best form of preventing a gun from being stolen from a vehicle is to keep the vehicle in plain sight or remove the gun and keep it with you.

Edited by enfieldspares

Built a locking one into the back of my last pickup on the basis that if a gun was stolen I could demonstrate I had taken all reasonable precautions to maintain security. Gun can’t be seen or accessed easily. Very difficult with a pickup otherwise. Obviously you can take the bolt out of a rifle or fore end off a shotgun as well.

I had GEARMATE install a gun draw system on my pickup. As a BASC member they give a 10% discount. The system is first class and forms a complete new load base in the pickup bed. Security is very important. If it  were parked in an isolated farm yard on a shoot day it would give extra protection.