Fac semi auto

Free range Rob

I have FAC as does a mate, and while there’s nothing to say you shouldn’t have one, I doubt you’ll get any more kills with one than you are now. 
The first shot flares them, whether you hit or miss, the second will get you a shot as they’re still in range, but I’ve only ever once had three for three, and the third bird was only in range as it was about to settle in the tree we were sat under.
In my experience by the time you’re ready for that third or fourth shot they’re out of range anyhow, which means you have plenty of time to reload. 
As I said, they are great fun, but I doubt one will increase your bag. 

Edited by Scully

I missed my only chance of 3 for 3 on magpies. They came over together and first two dropped, the last one was pretty much a sitter but I missed due to rushing and a fourth shot would have been very handy to shoot it going away. That is the only time with my semi auto I have needed a fourth shot! Even on the marsh I fire two and reload into the bottom port so quickly it doesn’t really matter. As long as you don’t empty the gun they are pretty quick to keep loaded if you have cartridges lined up. 

On 29/06/2021 at 07:33, Ultrastu said:

I fired my 3 cart in my semi auto on a pige last week. 

First time in a very long time .

I doubt I've really ever NEEDED any more than 3 shots .

Biggest issue with fac shot gun is trying to sell them later on .

I have the restriction rod so can put it back to non FAC if I ever sell mine. And the one thing that you do have when using say an 8 shot, is you reload it less often. As has been said, when a group comes in the first shot scatters them and you may then get 1 or 2 more shots off before you're just filling the sky with shot

8 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

I have the restriction rod so can put it back to non FAC if I ever sell mine. And the one thing that you do have when using say an 8 shot, is you reload it less often. As has been said, when a group comes in the first shot scatters them and you may then get 1 or 2 more shots off before you're just filling the sky with shot

How does that work? A removable mag’ plug doesn’t convert it to S2 surely. 
A S1 with a removable magazine plug is still a S1, just with a removable magazine plug. 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

How does that work? A removable mag’ plug doesn’t convert it to S2 surely. 
A S1 with a removable magazine plug is still a S1, just with a removable magazine plug. 

Once installed it's in and would have to be sent back to a smith to be removed from what I was told when picking it up after the change was done. But what you say makes perfect sense to me... 

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

Once installed it's in and would have to be sent back to a smith to be removed from what I was told when picking it up after the change was done. But what you say makes perfect sense to me... 

Mmmm. Once it’s in it would have to be sent to the proof house also, where it would be made permanent and a certificate would accompany it testifying to the work done, and the fact it was now a S2. 
I’m not sure a ‘smith is all it takes to convert a S2 back to a S1, although a mate recently got into trouble from licensing for doing the conversion from S2 to S1 himself, even though he had a slot for it and they knew what was going on. They informed him the gun should have been returned to his RFD for the work to be done, but never explained why. So who knows? 

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Mmmm. Once it’s in it would have to be sent to the proof house also, where it would be made permanent and a certificate would accompany it testifying to the work done, and the fact it was now a S2. 
I’m not sure a ‘smith is all it takes to convert a S2 back to a S1, although a mate recently got into trouble from licensing for doing the conversion from S2 to S1 himself, even though he had a slot for it and they knew what was going on. They informed him the gun should have been returned to his RFD for the work to be done, but never explained why. So who knows? 

So long as it was entered on the section 1 slot before it was derestricted why would it matter who derestricted it? It would already be section 1, so he would in effect be altering a magazine on a section 1 shotgun. Just like removing and replacing a magazine on any section 1 gun. 

35 minutes ago, Rimfireboy said:

So long as it was entered on the section 1 slot before it was derestricted why would it matter who derestricted it? It would already be section 1, so he would in effect be altering a magazine on a section 1 shotgun. Just like removing and replacing a magazine on any section 1 gun. 

I have no idea.