The other day someone posted a modern looking cap and ball revolver.

NoBodyImportant

Someone posted a picture of a modern looking revolver that was a cap and ball.  I can’t find the thread now.  I was telling a friend that’s a felon here in the states about it and he is interested in buying one.  Are these a common thing in the UK?  Do they have a specific name?  We can’t seem the find anything like it on google.  

3 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Only in America🤣🤣🤣

Felons can’t own firearms here, so they are limited to air guns, guns made before 1898, and muzzle loading.  But my friend likes to shoot and hunt.  Having one round of ammo as a felon here is and automatic 2 year sentence.  Plus you have to no what state your in. Because some states have state laws.  I think in Illinois a newly made replica is not considered a antique.  NC all cap and ball guns are considered antique 

Edited by NoBodyImportant

Being a collective of individual states we have state laws, federal laws, county laws and town laws.  It’s almost impossible to comply with all of them.  Marijuana is a good example, illegal federally but legal in some states.  The Feds could raid a grower in Colorado.  The federal government says it’s illegal.  But you have a right to stand trail in the state you commit a crime.  it’s legal in Colorado where the federal crime was committed so it’s an automatic dismissal.  You have to face a Jury of your peers so the jury and trail has to take place in Colorado as a jury from other states are not your peers. 

20 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Have a slot on my ticket for one of these, and will be acquiring soon ....
Ill report back when i do .

http://www.westlakeengineering.com/s/cc_images/cache_57087546.JPG?t=1489247324

I'd also be interested in how you get on. My initial thought was half the fun of my cap and ball revolver is the smoke it produces, so when there's a few of us shooting a string of six the range is full of smoke. On the other hand I'm now using 777 so not that far away from nitro powders.

3 hours ago, Windswept said:

I'd also be interested in how you get on. My initial thought was half the fun of my cap and ball revolver is the smoke it produces, so when there's a few of us shooting a string of six the range is full of smoke. On the other hand I'm now using 777 so not that far away from nitro powders.

Mmm , with that fun comes the antisocial element on the range :lol:

I was always disappointed with my 1858 Pietta .44 , accuracy was rubbish, chainfires for no apparent reason , despite whatever you did to mitigate, and a major cleaning job every time you used it.
Makes you wonder how they ever managed with such kit back in the day !

A club member had a Westlake nitro pistol once, I believe it was an older model to the one he sells now, he only had it briefly before he died.
The only issue I saw with it , you didnt want to be at the side of it when it was fired (the range design has been changed since with dividers) as the side blast from the cylinder was pretty fierce !
I never got to be involved with handguns pre ban , so not sure how normal this is , or whether he was using the wrong propellant maybe ? (this wouldnt surprise me )

Once I get some time , Ill have a trip down to see him and try some different barrel lengths ect, Im thinking a 4 or 6 inch one with the shrouded barrel, and maybe target grips, depends how flush Im feeling on the day 😄

We run comps at our range so no one complains about the smoke. If it's a quick-fire string choosing a lane upwind helps...

I've not had much trouble with my Pietta and I chose a stainless one to help with cleaning. (Had to replace the hand as the spring corroded). One thing I have noticed though is even the same make and model of gun varies a fair bit.

They can spit, the caps will split and sometimes throw bits out but as most people use semolina as a packing that does chuck out bits so eye protection is essential.

On that note, I wonder what the capacity is on the Westlakes? They seem to run on very small charges and I would have thought you wouldn't want to pack the cylinder too much. The Pietta can take around 35 grains of powder IIRC and you're advised to seat the ball close to the face. As I find 15-20 grains of powder to be ample you end up packing half the cylinder. Be nice to have a cylinder that only took 20 grains.

1 hour ago, Windswept said:

We run comps at our range so no one complains about the smoke. If it's a quick-fire string choosing a lane upwind helps...

I've not had much trouble with my Pietta and I chose a stainless one to help with cleaning. (Had to replace the hand as the spring corroded). One thing I have noticed though is even the same make and model of gun varies a fair bit.

They can spit, the caps will split and sometimes throw bits out but as most people use semolina as a packing that does chuck out bits so eye protection is essential.

On that note, I wonder what the capacity is on the Westlakes? They seem to run on very small charges and I would have thought you wouldn't want to pack the cylinder too much. The Pietta can take around 35 grains of powder IIRC and you're advised to seat the ball close to the face. As I find 15-20 grains of powder to be ample you end up packing half the cylinder. Be nice to have a cylinder that only took 20 grains.

My Pietta was stainless, just the inside of the bore and cylinder , even with sugary Pyrodex was a right pain to clean, and if you left it a day....

I ended up with 30 grain Pyrodex pellets, I wouldnt say the bangs were any bigger, and certainly not  any more or less accurate.

I believe the Westlakes use special 'fluffy' nitro powders like green dot ect, 2.5 gn doesnt sound like much , but the volume is still fairly high.

17 hours ago, Rewulf said:

My Pietta was stainless, just the inside of the bore and cylinder , even with sugary Pyrodex was a right pain to clean, and if you left it a day....

I've not had much of a problem when I've used Pyrodex. Just remove the handle and trigger guard and soak barrel and cylinder in boiling water for a few minutes before cleaning and drying. I used add Krank's black powder solvent but they've stopped selling it now.

I do know several people who don't like the mess of black powder so I'll mention the new Westlake to them. Be interesting to see one in action.

On 28/06/2021 at 06:33, NoBodyImportant said:

Someone posted a picture of a modern looking revolver that was a cap and ball.  I can’t find the thread now.  I was telling a friend that’s a felon here in the states about it and he is interested in buying one.  Are these a common thing in the UK?  Do they have a specific name?  We can’t seem the find anything like it on google.  

It was me who posted it.

As already said it’s the West Lake engineering pistol. 

You have to buy the bullets that are made specifically for them by Westlake, although I suppose you could make your own. They mostly used solid lead wad cutter bullets. 

It only takes certain (large flake) powders so they don’t fall through the holes in the chamber and they only get up to a certain pressure. 

They are most likely considered under powered vs a ‘normal’ handgun or gun over there. 

They’re already not cheap considering what they are - about £1000 ish for the gun and £300 Per chamber if you want a spare. 

Westlake had to jump through a lot of hoops I think to be allowed to bring the semi complete guns into the U.K. so not sure if it would be worth his while to ship one to the USA.

F1D1EE95-E79B-431F-8713-BC9BFC694377.jpeg

385CFDC3-EF85-4D37-A4FF-E675D33FEC04.jpeg

18 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

You have to buy the bullets that are made specifically for them by Westlake, although I suppose you could make your own. They mostly used solid lead wad cutter bullets. 

Westlake had to jump through a lot of hoops I think to be allowed to bring the semi complete guns into the U.K. so not sure if it would be worth his while to ship one to the USA.

F1D1EE95-E79B-431F-8713-BC9BFC694377.jpeg

385CFDC3-EF85-4D37-A4FF-E675D33FEC04.jpeg

In the US cap and ball revolvers not considered firearms so you can mail order them.   I ordered a pedersoli flintlock from Italy and it shipped straight to my house though it did appear to have been opened in customs as it had the yellow We opened you package tape on it.  We have 5 levels of guns,

Not a Firearm- this are any gun made before 1898, replicas, or anything that it muzzle loading. Flamethrower, solid projectile artillery,  They can be mailed to your house, carried by felons, ect….

Curio and relic- Guns over 50 years old.  You need to prove you are a collector so a $10 magazine subscribtion is the usually the proof most provided.   These guns also can be mailed straight to your house but are considered guns and can not be carried by felons.  Some of the early colt AR15s are now really expensive because they can now be mailed to your door.  

CMP guns,  these are military guns that can be mailed to your door.  When the US military retires guns they sell them back to the taxpayers that paid for them in the first place.  

Then the bulk of guns in America are standard FFL guns. Newer weapons.  This you must pass a background check to purchase.  

The you have NFA guns, full auto, suppressors, grenades, pipe bombs, suicide vest, ect…. This stuff you have to have a $200 tax stamp to own and it takes over 3 months for a ATF background check.  

One of the main reasons I would like one is because where I live(this is going to sound stupid) but I live in an area settled by the Dutch mummers,  so at the New Years/ July 4th, everyone rides around and fires wax balls into the air to scare away bad luck.  Most places settled by them still hold a form of this tradition.  While firing guns into the air in the middle of a town is controversial it’s perfectly legal when done with a Not A Firearms. No deference then blowing a trumpet.  So to have something that looks like a Smith wesson firing into the air would be pretty awesome.  

image.jpeg.61d51b6cfc1a347ac812133bf9fedda0.jpeg

EP-190109915.jpg?MaxW=600&MaxH=600

3 hours ago, Mr.C said:

Is that someone discharging a strapped up black powder firearm on a petrol station forecourt? 

No wonder they look like they're filling their pants. 😳

Pretty standard procedure in Nobody's Town. 

There's only one doing it there, sometimes there's a few dozen doing it at once, clock strikes, fire your piece off 😁

I have a Westlake .357 muzzle loader, it actually shoots very well once you have your load sorted. I use Unique powder and hand cast soft lead 158gn bullets.

This is a 6 shots at 20 yds with open sights off a sandbag rest.

OFhXqcTm.jpgFGndvl7m.jpg

KOnMj5ym.png

This is another odd muzzle loader -  It's a 5 shot .32 target pistol.

bZnILQJm.jpg

An my .36 duelling pistol:

pDxDwMqm.jpg