Catton Hall

TK421

just a heads up for anyone considering Saturday practice at Catton Hall or regular practice.

Having been shooting here regularly for a good few years and since we were all allowed back out (with restrictions of course) I have started to notice in the last few weeks a massive increase in no birds and trap malfunctions. Now they do load a 10% extra on your cards to cater for this can be burnt up in a few stands now. They’re proactive in fixing them, when you can get the attention of the staff, but it doesn’t half screw up your practice session and score, if you’re keeping one. Chatting to one of the staff they mentioned they’ve changed the clays manufacturer and also some traps? Not sure if it’s a quality issue or a handling/loading issue. Loads of young lands whizzing about on quad bikes with boxes of clays to reload surely can’t be good for the clays right?

Regarding Saturday practice you may as well forget it now as the grounds/car park are absolutely rammed with corporate parties riding quad bikes, archery, plinking and clay shooting etc. Not sure what the current regulation is on gatherings, but there have been huge groups on site.  When in the club house waiting to purchase clays must of been 30+ people in the queue behind me and the same I front, some masked others not, which was quite unnerving to be honest. One thing I’ve always proclaimed throughout lockdown was that clay shooting is quite an isolated sport and that it should be considered the same as fishing, and a more solitary sport, hence shouldn’t of been on the lockdown list. 

Due to this increase in take up of corporate parties they take over a good portion of the usual stands to facilitate the corporate clients, these stands pretty much become corporate only stands leaving only a handful of stands for the the regular practice, which obviously have queues of shooters waiting to shoot. Of those that are running there aren’t many challenging stands, especially when they close off  the woodland areas. 

i totally understand this is a business, so I don’t want to get into that, the guy has to earn a crust and fair play to him.
So a Slight winge I guess, but a few of the regulars were saying last Saturday they’ve never seen it so busy, stating Saturdays are now off the map for regular practice and I have to agree with them, wasn’t enjoyable at all, which is a shame as I’ve had some good sessions at catton. 

Take this as just a heads up for those contemplating Catton for Saturday practicing or regular practice in general, be prepared.

anywhere else around the NW for ESP practice on Saturday that doesn’t cater for corporates and isn’t rammed?

Whilst I understand the corporate customers and taster sessions bring in a fair chunk of money for some grounds and clubs (as well as a good way of getting new blood into the sport), I absolutely hate sharing a ground with them.

A couple of years ago I visited a ground that I had eagerly being looking forward to visit. Upon paying after my session I was asked how I'd liked my days shooting, to which I replied that I'd just shot my personal best - a mid-90ex100. "Oh, we have made it easier today for the corporate guests" was the reply. It showed as every presentation was a simple and easy shot with nothing challenging at all, which somewhat spoilt my trip. I'm not into vanity shoots.

I like it when grounds keep corporate guests and regular shooters on different sessions. Even better if lessons are separate too. I started shooting mid-week a couple of years ago and never looked back, although I do enjoy a Sunday morning shoot too.

I've met some great friends at shooting grounds who started thwir shooting obsession from a corporate day, some of them being excellent shots too, so I know it brings people to the sport, but I'd rather keep the rowdy and sticky fingered stag-do shooters as far away as possible.

30 minutes ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

Whilst I understand the corporate customers and taster sessions bring in a fair chunk of money for some grounds and clubs (as well as a good way of getting new blood into the sport), I absolutely hate sharing a ground with them.

A couple of years ago I visited a ground that I had eagerly being looking forward to visit. Upon paying after my session I was asked how I'd liked my days shooting, to which I replied that I'd just shot my personal best - a mid-90ex100. "Oh, we have made it easier today for the corporate guests" was the reply. It showed as every presentation was a simple and easy shot with nothing challenging at all, which somewhat spoilt my trip. I'm not into vanity shoots.

I like it when grounds keep corporate guests and regular shooters on different sessions. Even better if lessons are separate too. I started shooting mid-week a couple of years ago and never looked back, although I do enjoy a Sunday morning shoot too.

I've met some great friends at shooting grounds who started thwir shooting obsession from a corporate day, some of them being excellent shots too, so I know it brings people to the sport, but I'd rather keep the rowdy and sticky fingered stag-do shooters as far away as possible.

You’re spot on there and I totally agree with the get new shooters into the sport, the sport does need this,  especially if they’re dressed up as squirrels or satanic priests (I kid you not) on stag do’s, 😂. it’s All good fun, but as mentioned organise the stands in a way that one doesn’t interact/affect the other. Catton is plenty big enough, but to shut off maybe 8 - 10 stands in the woodlands ( possibly because they’ve already set them up for the registered shoot on the Sunday) is a bit frustrating, especially when you’ve just added 200 birds to your card. 

there was a constant stream of quads whizzing past behind on the lower stands, which was all you could shoot, made things a bit hectic at times. 

they still had a few stands that were moderately challenging, which we had to mix up a bit by shooting them in pairs, with the hardest bird first to increase the challenge. 

I left Catton on Saturday just gone with a bit of a different opinion, to be honest.

Was in a group, all shot at least 130 each, didn't see a single no bird.

Was busy with corporate, can't disagree with that, and we did have to walk past a couple of stands - but we didn't really find ourselves waiting (at least not any more than we would be elsewhere with 'real' shooters practicing), and it was a nice surprise to see that a few of the stands actually had multiple set-ups on them, so once you were in there we had enough variety to keep us busy. I'd recommend they do this again, it worked well.

They dedicate Sundays to comps and (I think) Wednesdays too? So can't ask for more than that since they need to operate as an 'adventure' place to stay in business, I imagine.

Re the quads, I don't begrudge a bit of noise, doesn't seem the right sport for that haha

Obviously everybody's experience is different, I'm not discrediting yours, I'm just wanting to add a bit of balance since I'm impressed with how they run it.

7 minutes ago, Sporting5 said:

I left Catton on Saturday just gone with a bit of a different opinion, to be honest.

Was busy with corporate, can't disagree with that, and we did have to walk past a couple of stands - but we didn't really find ourselves waiting (at least not any more than we would be elsewhere with 'real' shooters practicing), and it was a nice surprise to see that a few of the stands actually had multiple set-ups on them, so once you were in there we had enough variety to keep us busy. I'd recommend they do this again, it worked well.

They dedicate Sundays to comps and (I think) Wednesdays too? So can't ask for more than that since they need to operate as an 'adventure' place to stay in business, I imagine.

Re the quads, I don't begrudge a bit of noise, doesn't seem the right sport for that haha

Obviously everybody's experience is different, I'm not discrediting yours, I'm just wanting to add a bit of balance since I'm impressed with how they run it.

Well said @Sporting5 Whilst Catton have become busier during Summer time (name me one outdoor activity centre who doesn’t become busier at this time of year) they have remained putting 14 stands on for Clay Practise which I think is very good considering some grounds you go to only have 10. In regards to no birds, I am in contact with people who shoot every week without fail at Catton and they rarely see a no bird. They have always given an extra 10% on clay cards which personally just get used as extra shots. 

50 minutes ago, Sporting5 said:

I find that very interesting, as even when Catton was using Promatic branded birds we still saw a few no birds per round, never had a zero NB there yet in over 4 years? Must look at the way we’re pushing the buttons? Maybe too hard 🤣 bumped into quite a few others also experiencing issues, but we shot in the morning round so maybe (if you shot later on) things were sorted out? Who knows, I’ve never been that lucky to get 0 NB ever. They normally drop it on the last bird of a set of 8 just to screw up your score card.

Wednesday is also practice day so can still visit to get some practice if your off work or retired, works well. 

The noise of the quads isn’t an issue ( ear plugs in anyway) more so the string of 20 quads driving through the middle of the lower stands which is a PITA, every 20 mins of so, just a little off putting and inconvenient having to wait for them to all pass through between stands. Again, no real problem just an observation when it’s super busy. 

I’ll make sure to tag onto your group next time I’m there if that’s ok mate, going to start calling you the Trap whisperer 👍 

Shot the comp there Sunday! No issues with traps or no birds. This is a activities venue. Not a dedicated clay ground although I massively appreciate the fact I can train on Wednesdays and Saturdays and shoot there registered comps. I'm a shift worker and glad I can shoot midweek.

This post is biased as I like Catton and I know the family. They do attend registered shoots. The whole family pretty much shoot. He knows how annoying/frustrating broken traps and no birds can be.............We've shot kingsley moor (if you know......you know 😤🤦‍♂️) He doesn't want that reputation 🤔🤔

Next time you're up? Go and have a natter. They are all approachable 👍👍

Based in Manchester and its not like we're spoilt for choice in the Northwest for grounds unless you want to put the mileage in? Or find one that isn't busy on a Saturday when most people are off!! 

54 minutes ago, Savage10FP said:

Shot the comp there Sunday! No issues with traps or no birds. This is a activities venue. Not a dedicated clay ground although I massively appreciate the fact I can train on Wednesdays and Saturdays and shoot there registered comps. I'm a shift worker and glad I can shoot midweek.

This post is biased as I like Catton and I know the family. They do attend registered shoots. The whole family pretty much shoot. He knows how annoying/frustrating broken traps and no birds can be.............We've shot kingsley moor (if you know......you know 😤🤦‍♂️) He doesn't want that reputation 🤔🤔

Next time you're up? Go and have a natter. They are all approachable 👍👍

Based in Manchester and its not like we're spoilt for choice in the Northwest for grounds unless you want to put the mileage in? Or find one that isn't busy on a Saturday when most people are off!! 

Oh don’t get me wrong, it’s because I love shooting at the place that much it frustrates me when things stray away from great shooting at Catton. I know the family work hard there and are all dedicated and I have nothing but respect for that,  but as most of the Wednesday crowd say, best avoid the Saturdays as it’s simply too busy, especially now. I now appreciate this after last Saturday. 

just wish we had more grounds in the NW that are as good as Catton can be on a good day. 

Think we may struggle for a while in the Northwest! 

My buddy is helping out at Worsley and has promised change as I was getting fed up with the lazy set up there 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Part of me hates shift work but the money is good, but I imagine if I was mon-fri then I'd be frustrated at attending busy grounds at weekends 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ if they aren't busy............I'd be asking questions 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

We have to take what we've got for now 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Savage10FP said:

Think we may struggle for a while in the Northwest! 

My buddy is helping out at Worsley and has promised change as I was getting fed up with the lazy set up there 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Part of me hates shift work but the money is good, but I imagine if I was mon-fri then I'd be frustrated at attending busy grounds at weekends 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ if they aren't busy............I'd be asking questions 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

We have to take what we've got for now 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Or as you say, get in the car and drive an hour in any direction. 
But, you can’t beat the bacon sarnies over at Catton, worth the journey for that alone 👍

19 hours ago, winking7 said:

Well said @Sporting5 Whilst Catton have become busier during Summer time (name me one outdoor activity centre who doesn’t become busier at this time of year) they have remained putting 14 stands on for Clay Practise which I think is very good considering some grounds you go to only have 10. In regards to no birds, I am in contact with people who shoot every week without fail at Catton and they rarely see a no bird. They have always given an extra 10% on clay cards which personally just get used as extra shots. 

Nice first post, welcome to the forum. I see you Joined especially to add to the Catton hall thread? Staff? Welcome all the same.

Regarding no birds, my group get them every session, that and trap malfunctions/issues/resets. I genuinely can’t remember the last time we didn’t have a clean round, why else would I mention it? It’s certainly not the end of the world, but we still experience these issues, just like any other ground. Let’s not get things all twisted up and taken out of context regarding Catton hall as it will just add negativity to what is a great venue, and I’m sure that’s the only reason why you’re here, to defend the place. The post was merely here to advise any Non corporate shooters that were/are considering Saturday practice, and making them aware it’s a pretty busy place as it also caters for activities etc.. as you mentioned ‘name me one activity place that doesn’t get busier’, you’re absolutely right, it was very busy indeed, I totally agree with you.

meeting new shooters last Saturday and some of the regulars they all agreed with that statement also, in that it was very busy and hard to get on any of the stands in the woods, (all taken by corporate shooters) the rest as mentioned had doubled up the traps (4 on each stand) which is a great idea, but unfortunately doubles the time it takes for groups to pass through, hence queuing, not rocket science.  

Again, for clarity, for the most part I do enjoy shooting at Catton and appreciate the hard work of the family owners. As a business owner I also understand that this is a business and there to generate cash. Simple fact. It’s a balancing act that’s all. 

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE. I didn’t personally shoot at Catton yesterday, but a  few of the regulars did and have now informed me that they have now stopped all Saturday open practice for the regulars. Reason being Catton are now focusing on the corporate side of the business as I assume it yields better returns for the business. 

The regulars will be permitted back to open practice later on in the season, (October) when the weather starts to turn and the corporates have stopped booking and are no longer spending their money. 

Needless to say there were a few disjointed noses over this from the regulars that have been attending for many years, through all weather etc.. and I understand that, some have said it’s the push they needed to get out of regularly shooting at the same ground and enjoy other grounds as well, which is fair enough. They also said it was absolutely rammed.

suppose this will always be the issue with multi use/function grounds that cater for stag/hen parties quad bikes, activities etc etc.. 

it’s just a pity they couldn’t either segregate a section of stands for the regulars who have remained loyal and or give them another day to practice. They did try to segregate stands few Saturdays ago, actually labelling them either ‘instructors only’ or ‘non instructors’ which didn’t work as the instructors just used them all regardless of label. 

anyway just a update for any Catton shooters contemplating Saturday open practice.

Back to the sunshine ☀️ 

I, like others here, have been a regular at Catton since the days of manual traps and trappers and I am grateful for the superb days that I have had there. I am aware that the ground has closed to clay shooters on a Saturday until October. That said,  they were still the cheapest ground in the area for 100 bird practice and I have not really had any issues with 'no birds' but having run a ground for a number of years I am aware of what this weather can do to traps and clays. Some of the money made from Corporate Events I am sure is put back into the ground for the benefit of all.  I think the reason for the sudden influx of Stag/Hen parties is that the restrictions on Weddings have just been lifted and there is such a backlog of deferred events, they are all cramming them in at the same time. It is unfortunate but there are still Wednesdays and the monthly registered shoots to enjoy. I have recently been to NWSS at Sealand on a Saturday and they have added a Compak layout on the Trench range which is quite challenging.

19 hours ago, Westley said:

I have recently been to NWSS at Sealand on a Saturday and they have added a Compak layout on the Trench range which is quite challenging.

and this is changed weekly - they also have two combinations on so you can shoot 50 and, except for the first bird, not have a repeat on a stand

1 minute ago, discobob said:

and this is changed weekly - they also have two combinations on so you can shoot 50 and, except for the first bird, not have a repeat on a stand

This sounds interesting what was the price for this chaps? 

They do a token system, bought from the shop on arrival I think they were 4 for £25 the last time I was there, although that may have gone up a bit by now. They also had some reasonable offers on cartridges too. Food and drink is available all day on a Saturday, so all in all,  a decent days shooting.  Sorry, answer to your question is 1 token per 25 clays.

The Trench layout is semi covered so shooting in the rain is no problem either.

Edited by Westley

26 minutes ago, Westley said:

They do a token system, bought from the shop on arrival I think they were 4 for £25 the last time I was there, although that may have gone up a bit by now. They also had some reasonable offers on cartridges too. Food and drink is available all day on a Saturday, so all in all,  a decent days shooting.  Sorry, answer to your question is 1 token per 25 clays.

The Trench layout is semi covered so shooting in the rain is no problem either.

So £25 for 100? Sounds very reasonable indeed, think we’ll check it out. Thanks for the heads up

On 23/07/2021 at 20:51, TK421 said:

So £25 for 100? Sounds very reasonable indeed, think we’ll check it out. Thanks for the heads up

I am probably going next Saturday, it may well have gone up by a pound or two in line with most other grounds. Only drawback with a token system is once you put the token in, your'e there for 25. Alright on skeet and DTL, but it can be a pain (literally) on the high towers. We normally split the 25 between 2 or 3 of us and have a break between each 25. Good under cover airgun ranges too, if you have an airgun. Well worth a visit.

On 18/07/2021 at 10:42, TK421 said:

UPDATE. I didn’t personally shoot at Catton yesterday, but a  few of the regulars did and have now informed me that they have now stopped all Saturday open practice for the regulars. Reason being Catton are now focusing on the corporate side of the business as I assume it yields better returns for the business. 

The regulars will be permitted back to open practice later on in the season, (October) when the weather starts to turn and the corporates have stopped booking and are no longer spending their money. 

Needless to say there were a few disjointed noses over this from the regulars that have been attending for many years, through all weather etc.. and I understand that, some have said it’s the push they needed to get out of regularly shooting at the same ground and enjoy other grounds as well, which is fair enough. They also said it was absolutely rammed.

suppose this will always be the issue with multi use/function grounds that cater for stag/hen parties quad bikes, activities etc etc.. 

it’s just a pity they couldn’t either segregate a section of stands for the regulars who have remained loyal and or give them another day to practice. They did try to segregate stands few Saturdays ago, actually labelling them either ‘instructors only’ or ‘non instructors’ which didn’t work as the instructors just used them all regardless of label. 

anyway just a update for any Catton shooters contemplating Saturday open practice.

Back to the sunshine ☀️ 

Are you forgetting that Catton Hall never used to do Saturday practise? They only started Saturday Open Clay Practise in May 2020 when Covid restricted them from doing other things. Catton have always done Wednesdays only purely because of the fact Saturdays are so busy with other activities. It was clearly tried and tested to keep running Saturdays which proved to be too busy with practise & activities. 

16 minutes ago, winking7 said:

Are you forgetting that Catton Hall never used to do Saturday practise? They only started Saturday Open Clay Practise in May 2020 when Covid restricted them from doing other things. Catton have always done Wednesdays only purely because of the fact Saturdays are so busy with other activities. It was clearly tried and tested to keep running Saturdays which proved to be too busy with practise & activities. 

Nope, not forgetting, just stating they (you) are no longer doing Saturday practice due to now being too busy as you also just mentioned above?
But I’m sure Catton are very grateful for the income from those regulars that did attended Saturday practices back in May 2020 when it was super quite right 😉

Had an invite to join a buddy at Coniston! Not been in years and only just over an hour from Manchester. So why not!

If you're into your training and not just doing a quick 50 birds. Highly recommended. From quick whippy quartering stuff in the woods, to opening out and shooting clays further out, below your feet, Off the tower. To then whizzing on the sportrap/compak for a right good challenge. 

Can see me nipping up there again 😁😁😁😁