holidays at home

Saltings

I'm Irish we normal stay with mother and buy grub  and a meal or two out for hosts  extended family included          Ireland has usually double the uk  re cost     of a holiday      i have just been looking possible break for her indoors in September off peak        sweet mother of god        Ireland inc travel  is half the price inc ferry to trot up and down the shannon   on a boat   for a week  fishing  go to Galway city    not to mention b and b    even cheaper        i have just been looking at holidays whitby to norfolk   devon to barmouth   4 nights self catering   again sweet mother of god       5star would be cheaper  we are not sun worshipers    i like to explore  old buildings arcetecture  history    steam ralleys     muckelborough collection       etc and similar  mrs fed up aft a day on the beach wants to explore       what was £600 last year is now £1800 for 4 nights   what are they going to do next year when the uk tourist can go anywhere remerging being ripped off at home      my daughter two nights camping  2 person tent  £130    was 30 quid  12mts ago     you can only rip someone off once    holiday gazumping is now popular           then your on your own               home grown holiday industry has ripped off home grown support instead of promote it       in tough times they will pay dearly in the future            rip people off  they can buy a holiday cheaper anywhere else next year            good luck to the uk holiday industry   what a disaster          so much to see and do here and explore       rip off Britain       im not going anywhere this year mrs and i will have days out   i shouldn't doubt a uk holiday next year and the years after will be a struggle to sell  anything  good luck 

Rather than paying to go somewhere and stay me and the missus are just planning a few day trips for the kids, to hell with the travel industry right now. Our kids have a few local favourite spots and love exploring. A good day trip followed up by a nice meal and then relax at home is hard to beat.

All I'm hoping for is a chance to hit the evening rise a couple of times on my local river for some peace and quiet.

3 hours ago, Saltings said:

I'm Irish we normal stay with mother and buy grub  and a meal or two out for hosts  extended family included          Ireland has usually double the uk  re cost     of a holiday      i have just been looking possible break for her indoors in September off peak        sweet mother of god        Ireland inc travel  is half the price inc ferry to trot up and down the shannon   on a boat   for a week  fishing  go to Galway city    not to mention b and b    even cheaper        i have just been looking at holidays whitby to norfolk   devon to barmouth   4 nights self catering   again sweet mother of god       5star would be cheaper  we are not sun worshipers    i like to explore  old buildings arcetecture  history    steam ralleys     muckelborough collection       etc and similar  mrs fed up aft a day on the beach wants to explore       what was £600 last year is now £1800 for 4 nights   what are they going to do next year when the uk tourist can go anywhere remerging being ripped off at home      my daughter two nights camping  2 person tent  £130    was 30 quid  12mts ago     you can only rip someone off once    holiday gazumping is now popular           then your on your own               home grown holiday industry has ripped off home grown support instead of promote it       in tough times they will pay dearly in the future            rip people off  they can buy a holiday cheaper anywhere else next year            good luck to the uk holiday industry   what a disaster          so much to see and do here and explore       rip off Britain       im not going anywhere this year mrs and i will have days out   i shouldn't doubt a uk holiday next year and the years after will be a struggle to sell  anything  good luck 

totally agree with you................the UK bed & breakfast industry is a total rip off...........it is greed.......they "charge" to keep the riff raff out....the owners of these establishments are so far up their rear ends all you can see is their toenails sticking out.........

some of the prices for b&b around here are close to London hotel prices

We just had couple of days with friends (4 in total) in a flat in central Newcastle, £140. Objectively you could say that it is a fair price but just look at it and the views...

1700938775_IMG_20210624_1028165902.jpg.6a60d7d71751caa717a2b2d85595d0f8.jpg

1419446102_IMG_20210624_102830584_HDR2.jpg.027d1d4167f416400d6b10c08f8f0cc7.jpg

I think that some places need to recoup the money and I am sure that a lot of people will have a bit extra in their pockets to get the economy going again

Having a couple of mini breaks with the misses - 4 nights in an Airbnb in Portpatrick- then a further 4 nights later in the month in Gourock both come in about £300 each .

it’s not the Mediterranean but nice to get away.

We looked a lodges & cabins in the Scottish highlands but just couldn’t justify the cost.

Just had the self same conversation at work today and again back home with my other half, we love to holiday in the UK and sight see etc. and have done for many years and were planning on doing lots more during our planned retirement whilst continuing to support the UK tourist industry but unfortunately the greedy will lose out big time to the foreign trips abroad and I cash my pounds in for Euros or Dollars as will only stand to  be ripped off once this year before normality eventually sets back in and we are free to travel as before..... selfishness strikes again and is blind to the long term consequences

28 minutes ago, Keith RW said:

but unfortunately the greedy will lose out big time to the foreign trips abroad

'Foreign trips abroad' aren't really an option though?

So it's either 'Windowsill Bay' (AKA stay at home), sell a kidney for Centre Parcs where the kids can't do anything 'cos all the activities are 'pre-booked' or....The Falkland islands or other equally practicable options on the Green list.

Hmmm, hard pass on all 3.

Here's a wild idea, why not accommodate a few friends or family, get out to places nearby that you have always wanted to go to but for some reason never have, get some money into the economy by eating locally and lavishly? Enjoy a bit of company and conversation without the need for a passport and flights, there is always next year?

9 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

...The Falkland islands...

It's winter there, I wouldn't recommend it.

42 minutes ago, henry d said:

Here's a wild idea, why not accommodate a few friends or family

As discussed on another thread, most of them require a passport in order to accommodate/be accommodated.

As for friends, I'm in my late 30s, most of my friends have young kids, and I'm 'between properties', so that isn't really an option.

49 minutes ago, henry d said:

get some money into the economy by eating locally and lavishly?

Checking in, masks, distancing, following one-way systems, waiting stuff having to shout through their masks, just doesn't appeal frankly.

51 minutes ago, henry d said:

there is always next year?

Possibly not for my aged parents who don't live in the UK, but we've covered this before

51 minutes ago, henry d said:

It's winter there, I wouldn't recommend it.

Definitely off the tourist trail though.

13 hours ago, henry d said:

True, but if everyone knew that it wouldn't be the beautiful place we know it to be.

I drove up (via Glasgow towards Fort Augustus) to my usual 'stay with friends' holiday in Scotland last summer (during the lowered restriction time) - and every lay-by, firm grass 'edge' to the road, and gateway had a caravan/dormobile/tent pitched in it.  We were told that every camp site was booked solid.  Once at my destination, I didn't leave the estate all week!

25 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

...I'm 'between properties', so that isn't really an option.

Really, we sold up in Scotland and moved out in February, English chain broke a month later when we were sleeping on the floor of our daughter's dining room. We managed to get a short term lease on a cruddy flat in Gateshead and we have had friends come down and stay in a hotel in Whitley bay for a weekend, another came down for a day trip, then last week we met with friends at a booking rental flat in central Newcastle and had a great time with each of them. Everyone who came was double jabbed, masks until you are seated, I have to say that it was pretty much as good as it was two years ago, possibly better as they have journeyed with us and the bond is stronger. This weekend we are going back stopping with friends and going to a wedding, then my wife is off to Liverpool soon for a hen weekend and I will be dog sitting for the couple, both of us are going to the wedding in October. I empathise with you regarding your parents as my wife and I both felt relieved that ours didn't have to go through this as it is not easy in the slightest but things are moving in the right direction.

Outside peak season, we usually have a weekend at a Center Parks usually October, started looking in January prices around £350, no nearer £600, looks like it will a Premier Inn in Bristol for a weekend! Still its a change of scene! 

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I drove up (via Glasgow towards Fort Augustus) to my usual 'stay with friends' holiday in Scotland last summer (during the lowered restriction time) - and every lay-by, firm grass 'edge' to the road, and gateway had a caravan/dormobile/tent pitched in it.  We were told that every camp site was booked solid.  Once at my destination, I didn't leave the estate all week!

It happens regularly, if the weather is good the place gets mobbed, we saw an increase in motorhomes setting up in a car park we used for launching our kayaks from, I would say double the number and that was the east coast. The majority were Scottish looking at the number plates.

Just now, Vince Green said:

Yes but they are having to make laws to ban wild camping in parts of Scotland because of all the idiots.

Yup, the weegie numpties doing overnight camping round Loch Lomond started that ball rolling and last year Skye was basically a car park.

1 minute ago, henry d said:

The majority were Scottish looking at the number plates.

Yes, I think that is right.  We talked to a couple of people walking through where we fish and another couple who had rented a cottage on the estate - and both were local - the cottage lot from Glasgow - and I can't remember where the others were from.  They were both just getting a 'change of scene'.