Another new gun.

samboy

Hi gang.

I just can't get on with my Browning Ultra XS Pro that i've had since November.

So i'm going to have a look at a Beretta 694 and a 687 Silver pigeon 3 tomorrow. Providing they fit alright 

i will hopefully be coming away with one or the other. I've had Brownings and Beretta's before and i have got on

with both. But this XS just isn't for me. Watch this space. 

18 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

So i'm going to have a look at a Beretta 694 and a 687 Silver pigeon 3 tomorrow. Providing they fit alright 

i will hopefully be coming away with one or the other. I've had Brownings and Beretta's before and i have got on

I got the XS pro and also a 525 and TBH I shoot exactly the same with both yet they are both totally different but don't like Beretta for some unknown reason

41 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Is it set up or balanced correctly? Can you pin down just what is it that you don’t like about it?
A good mate has one and he likes it very much, as do I, but we’re both Browning/ Winchester fans and neither of us get on with Berettas unless they’re autos, for some reason. 
It’s not often in my experience you come across someone who can swap between the two makes and shoot equally well. 

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Is it set up or balanced correctly? Can you pin down just what is it that you don’t like about it?
A good mate has one and he likes it very much, as do I, but we’re both Browning/ Winchester fans and neither of us get on with Berettas unless they’re autos, for some reason. 
It’s not often in my experience you come across someone who can swap between the two makes and shoot equally well. 

Cant really put my finger on it. Balance and weight is ok but not keen on trigger pulls.

Its just not for me. I shot a Beretta 686 30" sporter for 16 years and wish i had never sold it.

I do just seem to shoot Beretta's better. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

who can swap between the two makes and shoot equally well.

Many people say that - but I think I can shoot equally badly!  I have 2 x Berettas, but I have shot adequately with borrowed Browning/Mirokus. 

Balance, handling, weight, fit, 'chunkiness in the hands' all vary from gun to gun, and different things suit different people.  It is often hard to pin down what makes one gun feel 'right' and another feel 'wrong'.  For me, I find too little cast is very noticeable, as is too much weight, particularly forward weight, but I am mainly a s/s shooter .......

Its all phycology . If you dont think the gun you have is the gun that best suits you then you will never shoot well .If you believe the gun you have is the one you have always shot well with then dont change . If you do every bad shot , every miss  ,the little man sitting on your shoulder will be whispering in your ear  , " if you had the XXXX you would have hit that ".

If a gun feels right then it probably is , but like all else you have to learn to shoot it . Guns of different makes and models may well  shoot differently .

Exactly the same with chokes people get so convinced that one choke or another is the best or that they have the wrong one .

Best advice I ever heard was   , dont think about it just shoot .

13 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Could that be anything to do with the top lever? Did you get anything to sit on while you think about it? :innocent:

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Could that be anything to do with the top lever? Did you get anything to sit on while you think about it? :innocent:

Top lever can be a bit stiff to open  but once i get something into my head that's it.  It is a nice gun but if you have 

doubts about it it's got to go.  Going to Dealer today to hopefully px it. 

2 hours ago, Shadowchaser said:

I bought an XS Pro a couple of years ago.  I ended up trading it in as I couldn't get along with it. 

Mind you I am more of a Beretta man.  

It will be interesting to see what you go for. 

Hi gang.

After handling the 694 and the 687 silver pigeon 3 i decided on the SP 3. it just came up a lot better. So the px was done 

and i will be trying it out on Sunday. 

12 hours ago, Gunman said:

Its all phycology . If you dont think the gun you have is the gun that best suits you then you will never shoot well .If you believe the gun you have is the one you have always shot well with then dont change . If you do every bad shot , every miss  ,the little man sitting on your shoulder will be whispering in your ear  , " if you had the XXXX you would have hit that ".

If a gun feels right then it probably is , but like all else you have to learn to shoot it . Guns of different makes and models may well  shoot differently .

Exactly the same with chokes people get so convinced that one choke or another is the best or that they have the wrong one .

Best advice I ever heard was   , dont think about it just shoot .

I only partially agree. 

All the above is true only if the guns fit exactly the same. Same stock drops, deviation, lenght and trigger sensitivity. If these are the same you might want to consider handling and balancing. 

I'm talking about semi-pro/pro shooting here. If the aim is hitting 18/25 clays with friends or the odd pheasants, then is a different story an you're 100% correct

20 hours ago, Docleo said:

I only partially agree. 

All the above is true only if the guns fit exactly the same. Same stock drops, deviation, lenght and trigger sensitivity. If these are the same you might want to consider handling and balancing. 

I'm talking about semi-pro/pro shooting here. If the aim is hitting 18/25 clays with friends or the odd pheasants, then is a different story an you're 100% correct

Well I've only been gun fitting and dealing with peoples shooting problems for 40 years so I can only express opinions I have come to over that time 

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

Well I've only been gun fitting and dealing with peoples shooting problems for 40 years so I can only express opinions I have come to over that time 

I’m afraid that 40 years experience counts for very little in the eyes of some members on this forum who will have their own strong views based on a lot less. For the record Docleo this is not aimed at you.

I have been lucky with gun fit throughout my adult life and could generally tell whether a gun suited me by simply taking it out of the shop and dry mounting a few times with my normal shooting jacket on. I came unstuck with my very last purchase - a Miroku 6000 which I thought matched an existing one in every way. I just couldn’t shoot well with it. This spring I was determined to sort the problem out. Firstly I found that the stock weighed 30 grams on my new one so most of the differential was bored out. Secondly there appeared to be more toe on the new one and I could see too much of the barrels when shooting. I have found a temporary measure to sort this as I have placed some cardboard under the butt plate at the opposite end. This has sorted the problem and I shoot much better with the gun now.

Edited by JDog

3 hours ago, Gunman said:

Good for you! 

I have only expressed my view based on my 20 years (olympic trap) experience. Less than 40 years for sure, but hopefully still enough to express opinions! 

Don’t sell a gun you shoot well with until it is gathering dust because you shoot better with your new gun. Part exchange is a bit mad, but I’m very boring and steady. I don’t seek change and have no attraction to try something new. I have a few different guns for different tasks and am now happy to switch between them without worrying that it is the gun making the mistake. I know it is me!

Edited by WalkedUp

On 01/07/2021 at 22:42, WalkedUp said:

Don’t sell a gun you shoot well with until it is gathering dust because you shoot better with your new gun. Part exchange is a bit mad, but I’m very boring and steady. I don’t seek change and have no attraction to try something new. I have a few different guns for different tasks and am now happy to switch between them without worrying that it is the gun making the mistake. I know it is me!

That's good advice.  For a lot of people though, they need the old gun to put towards the new one.  But never ever sell a gun you shoot well with unless you have replaced it with one equally as good. 

I had an ultra XS prestige about 8 years ago and loved it, I shot my mates Pro the other week, I didn't like it at all. Couldn't put my finger on it. I have an old 1999 MX8, the grip is not right but it feels so good to shoot, I recently decided to try a couple of guns that the reviews convinced me was going to be a step forward, but they weren't and I'm glad I tried them as the MX8 feels even better now.

1 hour ago, samboy said:

Took my new 687 SP3 out today on a 60 bird clay shoot and hit 44/60. It felt so much better than my XS Pro.

I can see me keeping this one as it just feels right. 

Well done glad you’re doing well with it keep us posted on the progress 👍

thanks for posting the updates 😊👍

• 3 weeks later...

Hi gang.

Been out with my SP 3 4 times now and my clay scores have improved both on OSK and sporting.

Have not tried it out on ABT yet but will do.

If i had one criticism of the gun i would of liked the fore end to be a bit wider but thats all. I'm really

happy with the SP 3.  Definitely a keeper.