Credit Card transaction time

markm

Hi. 

A month ago (exactly 30 days today) I went to a restaurant (new Hard Rock in Newcastle, which had just opened and paid with my AMEX card.)

Within 24 hours it appeared as ‘unknown / new vendor.’  Within a few days it disappeared and when you look at my limit and balance, it’s not accounted for, or in the pending.

Have I got a freebie?

Edited by markm

This does occasionally happen. It used to be a lot more prevalent back in the days before chip and pin as if the store lost the piece of swipe paper it never got billed.  Even so I have had a couple of small transaction from shops lost in the ether over the past year even with chip and pin / contactless and they never got charged so I would chalk it up to a freebee myself. 

1 hour ago, markm said:

Hi. 

A month ago (exactly 30 days today) I went to a restaurant (new Hard Rock in Newcastle, which had just opened and paid with my AMEX card.)

Within 24 hours it appeared as ‘unknown / new vendor.’  Within a few days it disappeared and when you look at my limit and balance, it’s not accounted for, or in the pending.

Have I got a freebie?

I'd give them a ring and let them know, it wouldn't sit right with me taking goods or services and not paying. 

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

I'd give them a ring and let them know, it wouldn't sit right with me taking goods or services and not paying.

A long time ago - I had a very similar thing; goods (some wine actually) delivered, bill came up on my credit card (Access card which dates it) account.  Next statement - contra entry (i.e. credited) the same amount. 

I rang the supplier (from who I regularly had goods) to explain.  They couldn't understand it as they had received payment in full from Access - and were quite happy all was in order.  Tried to contact Access - who were so difficult to speak to - I gave up in the end ....... and enjoyed my free goods!

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

Me too . I wouldn't feel comfortable  if they'd made a mistake and not charged me , any more than I'd be happy if they made a mistake and over charged me.

I would leave it a bit first, say 8 weeks,  then cantact the vendor and ask if they have had payment. That should be long enough for anything odd to have sorted itself out. Otherwise you just know it will get mucked up and you will get billed twice then.

I had an airport  purchase take 2 months to turn up on a credit card a few years back