10 bore fibre wad recipe

Hi, looking for a recipe for mild clay load in 10 bore using bluedot, Remington hulls and cci209m (cos I happen to have loads of each) but all aliant recipes use plastic SP10 wad. I have SAM1 wads- anyone have experience of swapping them? - but in any case clay ground insist on fibre wads.  Couple years ago I tried using wax coated cork wads like I do for B.P. rounds and the primers just blew the whole shot column down the barrel without igniting the powder. Whoops didnt realise wads made such difference back then! Guess cork too soft or not enough roll turn over. Looking for someone that knows more than i do on the matter, thanks

On 30/06/2021 at 14:15, Cumbria reloader said:

Hi, looking for a recipe for mild clay load in 10 bore using bluedot, Remington hulls and cci209m (cos I happen to have loads of each) but all aliant recipes use plastic SP10 wad. I have SAM1 wads- anyone have experience of swapping them? - but in any case clay ground insist on fibre wads.  Couple years ago I tried using wax coated cork wads like I do for B.P. rounds and the primers just blew the whole shot column down the barrel without igniting the powder. Whoops didnt realise wads made such difference back then! Guess cork too soft or not enough roll turn over. Looking for someone that knows more than i do on the matter, thanks

You haven’t said what chamber length so I assume 3.5”

looking out an old Alan Myers catalogue he did not list a load for blue dot and felt wad for over 2 5/8” and he used 39gn of blue dot and 1 3/8gm lead. Closure is RTO. If you pack out it might make a reasonable clay load. I have used it in my short chambered 10 and it is good with no3 shot over decoys

3.5” steel load I use 42gn AS and 42gm of shot.

Thanks Dave at Kelton. Sounds about the same as I'd tried though. Might cut a case down in length and try a firmer wad to better match Alan's load. I think packing out might risk changing the ballistics, eg extra friction and more column to compress until lead gets moving, I.e. pressure could spike(?). Thanks.

10 hours ago, Cumbria reloader said:

Thanks Dave at Kelton. Sounds about the same as I'd tried though. Might cut a case down in length and try a firmer wad to better match Alan's load. I think packing out might risk changing the ballistics, eg extra friction and more column to compress until lead gets moving, I.e. pressure could spike(?). Thanks.

Cutting you case back to 2 5/8 could leave you with almost an inch of chamber before your load reaches the forcing cone. I have no experience of what the result of that might be so merely mention it. If you want a copy of all of Alan’s 10bore loads pm your email and I will see what I can do next weekend.