.22lr ammunition quantities for target shooting

Apivorus

What ammunition quantities have people had approved by their FLO for club target shooting using .22lr at first FAC application? Home office guidance states an allocation 1000 not unreasonable for target shooting, but a serious shooter might wish to possess up to 6000. What sort of figure is the norm for a typical club target shooter - 2000? I want to ask for a reasonable figure, and not sell myself short or ask for 2 or 3 times the normal amount. Thanks.

700 for your first application 1200 for your renewal 

target shooting is a precise sport requiring a lot of concentration and to shoot 4 cards a evening and maintain a good score would be difficult 

l doubt you will get anymore discount on 500 or 5000 rounds 

Also most clubs will sell ammo to members at a good price 

it’s finding the right brand and machine batch number that suits your gun that’s important 

personally wouldn’t buy 5000 only to find they performed badly in my gun 

all the best 

of 

welcome to the forum 

Edited by Old farrier

It will depend on a great many things, one of which is your local licencing dept so I would ask around at your club.

There are many forms of target shooting and you can get through a large volume of .22 depending on what you shoot. You may also want different ammunition for different guns and different tasks. (Rifle, bolt, semi-auto, LBP, target, vermin etc).

Simply put can you justify what you ask for? I have seen a large difference in what people have been granted.

37 minutes ago, Kojak_79 said:

I got 1500 on grant and he didnt question it. My reasoning was bulk price at a 1000 and then i can reorder when i get below 500

Sounds like you had a reasonable FEO but it's worth noting bulk pricing is not a good reason.

13.54 Chief officers of police should also consider the “good reason” for possession of ammunition quantities for target shooting. Allocations of 1,000 rounds, to possess, purchase or acquire, are not unreasonable for most regular shooters. A serious target shooter (for example in a county or national squad) may reasonably wish to possess up to 6,000 rounds to ensure consistency in performance between batches. In exceptional circumstances greater amounts may be required. These figures should be used as guides only and should not be interpreted as absolute limits. This is normally applicable to .22RF rather than full-bore target shooting. Economy of purchase (‘bulk buying’) is not considered satisfactory as “good reason”.

If the OP is a regular shooter then asking for 1,500 on grant would seem reasonable - I've seen higher amounts granted.

20 hours ago, Windswept said:

It will depend on a great many things, one of which is your local licencing dept so I would ask around at your club.

There are many forms of target shooting and you can get through a large volume of .22 depending on what you shoot. You may also want different ammunition for different guns and different tasks. (Rifle, bolt, semi-auto, LBP, target, vermin etc).

Simply put can you justify what you ask for? I have seen a large difference in what people have been granted.

That's why I'm asking really, there doesn't seem to be a standard figure. As you say, large differences in figures granted for the same "good reason". Perhaps it is down to some having several guns and shooting different disciplines. Certainly some different numbers amongst those I have spoken to at the clubs I've attended recently. I think I'll try for 1200 along with a bolt action and a semi-auto and see how I get on. Thanks.

6 hours ago, Apivorus said:

That's why I'm asking really, there doesn't seem to be a standard figure.

Yes, there's not a standard figure. There's probably too many variables although I don't really understand why someone would not be granted say 2,000 rounds if they are happy to grant 1,500.

I don't know what it's like these days with COVID but normally when you have your chat with your FEO you can discuss and alter the amounts on the application form. 

As Vince says, some might easily go through 500 rounds in an afternoon. Others might take months for that.

May I ask what you tend to shoot? If it's something like gallery rifle then a practice and a couple of runs of 1500 would also use around 500 rounds.

11 hours ago, Windswept said:

Yes, there's not a standard figure. There's probably too many variables although I don't really understand why someone would not be granted say 2,000 rounds if they are happy to grant 1,500.

I don't know what it's like these days with COVID but normally when you have your chat with your FEO you can discuss and alter the amounts on the application form. 

As Vince says, some might easily go through 500 rounds in an afternoon. Others might take months for that.

May I ask what you tend to shoot? If it's something like gallery rifle then a practice and a couple of runs of 1500 would also use around 500 rounds.

I plan to shoot .22 bolt action in the club target competitions at different ranges, and various other disciplines with semi-auto, some yet to evolve due to club expansion (new site just  acquired). I will shoot at my club, but also at another where a relative is a member. This will be my first FAC, I currently hold a SGC.

• 3 weeks later...

You have to establish a reason for wanting to purchase and keep larger quantities.

I have permission to buy 5000 and keep 6000 rds. But I was asked at my last renewal why I needed to keep this amount. I was able to confirm that I shot in the Midland, Black country , Hereford, Worcester and Worcester County, and Cambridge Police league, as well as the Worcester Open event. This was without club competitions as well.

You do need to give a good reason for wanting a larger amount, and shooting lots of competitions and wanting ammo' consistency is usually good enough.

On 30/06/2021 at 15:38, Old farrier said:

700 for your first application 1200 for your renewal 

target shooting is a precise sport requiring a lot of concentration and to shoot 4 cards a evening and maintain a good score would be difficult 

l doubt you will get anymore discount on 500 or 5000 rounds 

Also most clubs will sell ammo to members at a good price 

it’s finding the right brand and machine batch number that suits your gun that’s important 

personally wouldn’t buy 5000 only to find they performed badly in my gun 

all the best 

of 

welcome to the forum 

This ....find one your gun likes and stck with it AND don't mix them up.  Applies to sport shooting with a 22RF as well.