Card only sales.

VicW

Yet again I was in a shop today that would only accept cards for payment. When I queried the legality of this requirement the cashier didn't know whether it was legal or not but said, obviously, that no cash made their accounting considerably easier, so much so that they were going to stay with card only sales after lockdown. Is this legal not accepting coin of the realm as a tender for payment?

Vic.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shops are allowed to accept or refuse any means of payment they like as long as it is not not discriminating on account of race, gender or sexuality etc. so not accepting cash is perfectly legal. 

I have not used cash for about three years now since I was able use my phone as my bank card. 

29 minutes ago, VicW said:

Yet again I was in a shop today that would only accept cards for payment. When I queried the legality of this requirement the cashier didn't know whether it was legal or not but said, obviously, that no cash made their accounting considerably easier, so much so that they were going to stay with card only sales after lockdown. Is this legal not accepting coin of the realm as a tender for payment?

Vic.

To be blunt I am surpised businesses haven't gone to card only years ago. It completely does away with people having issues with staff sticking their hand in the till and some other similar issues.

My family ran businesses for years and had an absolute nightmare trying to employ anyone they could trust not to steal from stock or the tills. 

My sister whilst studying maths in Uni worked in Weatherspoons pub chain to pay her rent and said they expected a certain amount of staff theft because the pay was minimum wage. 

Sad state of affairs. 

3 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Get on board or don't. 

Welcome to the modern World. 

Well perhaps we should get internet connectivity to all rural places before we go card only 

there’s plenty of places my onboard card machine won’t work 

maybe your world is more modern than you realise 

Card only policy disgracefully discriminates against tax dodgers and thieves. 

Just now, Centrepin said:

My RFD refuses card payment as the fees are too expensive. 

I can't imagine small shops ever going cash free.

That’s not the real reason, the tax is too expensive 🤣

1 minute ago, WalkedUp said:

Card only policy disgracefully discriminates against tax dodgers and thieves. 

That’s not the real reason, the tax is too expensive 🤣

Quite possibly, but I legitimately pay for for cartridges and other goods including guns at considerably less than I can buy the identical elsewhere. If he (they) fail to pay the requested taxes it's between him (they) and the government. My receipt shows VAT where applicable as paid including his RFD number and amongst others his vat number.

I do have a credit card but only use it on line and pay it off each month. I use it like cash, if I don't have the funds available in the bank to pay it I don't use it. Same with my fuel account.

2 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

You cant pay cash on any London buses and many stations now the ticket offices are closed

That I find shocking although I haven't used public transport for near on 30 years. I just can't imagine paying bus fare by card.

2 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I have a debit card, one for personal and one for the company. Credit cards are great if you are organised and disciplined. I don’t trust myself. 

Often tempting when you see something nice.

My reason for card use is protection, even after paying in full the card company retains a responsibility for the goods being merchantable. 

8 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

You cant pay cash on any London buses and many stations now the ticket offices are closed

Last time I was in London ( three years ago or thereabouts ) I just used my debit card for tube and bus. I’m assuming Oyster cards are no more? 

29 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I'm just imaging the street beggars holding out card machines for you to swipe your "spare change"🤔

Do buskers take card now too?

They do! 

Have seen quite a few set up with a contactless card machine preprogrammed with £1 or £2.