How much would you pay for Simulated shooting?

9 hours ago, Old farrier said:

I went yesterday for a day and very good 

bacon roll with coffee 

safety talk then of for the first high birds off the top of a valley over a wooded side  a warm day and a assortment of targets for us to shoot and for the host to Assess ability nearly all the clays were from hand operated traps with a team of 9 trappers who constantly made the targets harder

coffee and on to the next 

a pigeon drive we were shooting out over a large cornfield with a awesome view and the targets representing pigeon crossing from behind and incoming a well done drive 

on to the grouse butts for canopies and pie then some hectic fast simulated grouse fast driven and very fast angled incoming across the line the butts incorporated safety rails to ensure novice Guns couldn’t shoot down the line for safety 

back for a table service lunch 3 courses followed by coffee 

first drive after lunch driven partridge with plenty of 45 yard crossers high in front 

last drive similar but higher and the trappers were trying harder to stretch us to the limit on range and ability then back for tea and cake 

so all in all a very good day lots of fun and all for £270 

the shoot was on a 15000 acre private  estate that was a pleasure to see and the day incorporated driving around part of it so we got to enjoy this aspect and the privilege of being there as guests 

1E9BF6E2-3159-4A33-B4F3-872C8E574188.jpeg

F8206705-8AED-4C32-8435-60F8C366597B.jpeg

ACA3782C-373F-43D3-9B1C-99FB129E1138.jpeg

E4C1492A-D959-4408-9691-88C8C19D4BCA.png

That’s awesome, thanks for sharing.  That gate house is amazing,  I’m a sucker for old stately architecture.  The wife and I ride up to the Vanderbilt house about every Christmas for the decorations and I am blown away every year at the wealth the Vanderbilt family was able to acquire.  It’s still a private residence to this day but offers tours.  

Edited by NoBodyImportant

4 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

This is in Asheville NC and was built in the late 1800s to the early 1900s.  b2ef368b584863f7561b4be48408d632.jpg
HH_biltmoreestate01_675x359_FitToBoxSmal

Not exactly on par with the grand country houses you guys have but it’s pretty neat to tour.  

4627AF28-8414-4A23-AA31-394A31A9EE56.jpeg

5460F523-01D9-4A3C-8D09-6E9C9A858587.jpeg

2E0FB277-E64A-4E22-849C-57AD9828908D.jpeg

That looks on a par with some of our stately homes. Splendid.

On 04/07/2021 at 02:08, NoBodyImportant said:

This is in Asheville NC and was built in the late 1800s to the early 1900s.  b2ef368b584863f7561b4be48408d632.jpg
HH_biltmoreestate01_675x359_FitToBoxSmal

Not exactly on par with the grand country houses you guys have but it’s pretty neat to tour.  

4627AF28-8414-4A23-AA31-394A31A9EE56.jpeg

5460F523-01D9-4A3C-8D09-6E9C9A858587.jpeg

2E0FB277-E64A-4E22-849C-57AD9828908D.jpeg

That looks like a scaled down version of old farriers pad . Obviously nigels place is decorated in a much more tasteful manner 👍.

28 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

That looks like a scaled down version of old farriers pad . Obviously nigels place is decorated in a much more tasteful manner 👍.

Shhhhh 🤭

the guest wings currently a tad full  

Butlers pulling his hair out jodhpurs and tennis rackets all over the place dogs having a field day never seen so many balls 🤭

6 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Shhhhh 🤭

the guest wings currently a tad full  

Butlers pulling his hair out jodhpurs and tennis rackets all over the place dogs having a field day never seen so many balls 🤭

Sorry sir , I didn't realise that it was such a closely guarded secret . I seem to remember sir Elton mentioning that your butler got a little flustered when he had too many balls thrust upon him 😊.

If you and a mate wish to join us to make up the numbers you are welcome. There is one shooting and the other loads for you, we shoot the best part of 400 cartridge's each. The only rule is the shot has to be safe but the clays whoever they go over are fair game.

9 minutes ago, B725 said:

If you and a mate wish to join us to make up the numbers you are welcome. There is one shooting and the other loads for you, we shoot the best part of 400 cartridge's each. The only rule is the shot has to be safe but the clays whoever they go over are fair game.

It is great fun amongst friends but I just worry that some youngster taking a day thinking this is how real pheasant/partridge days go will do the same and his neighbours are not going to be very happy bunnies. The couple of days I have taken I cannot bring myself to shoot any clay approaching my neighbour and on a REAL day my wife often asks why I left a crossing bird and I answer because it will make a better bird for my friend on the next peg.  It's called etiquette or good manners.

10 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

It is great fun amongst friends but I just worry that some youngster taking a day thinking this is how real pheasant/partridge days go will do the same and his neighbours are not going to be very happy bunnies. The couple of days I have taken I cannot bring myself to shoot any clay approaching my neighbour and on a REAL day my wife often asks why I left a crossing bird and I answer because it will make a better bird for my friend on the next peg.  It's called etiquette or good manners.

Good post Neville.

42 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I understand exactly what you are saying but I can assure you when actually game shooting I never shoot at anyone elses bird.

56 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I don't game shoot on the grounds (no pun intended) of cost and that some walking may be involved. My son is a regular game shooter and beater.

When pigeon shooting the nearest I can refer to, he often shouts "Your bird Dad" where as I tend to just leave them knowing it's his bird.

Good manners are available to all😁 shouldn't need to be taught🤣 

1 hour ago, B725 said:

May well take you up on that thanks, but I'm away shooting 6th - 17th September if it comes off.

• 1 month later...

For someone who has no desire to shoot anything but clay, sim days seem like a great option! I don't see the cost as "cost per clay", and this thread has certainly shown that really you're paying for:

clays + setup + food and drink + land usage + excitement and banter + "the experience". 

I am looking forward to doing one, when I find an affordable sim day in Hampshire :)

2 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

For someone who has no desire to shoot anything but clay, sim days seem like a great option! I don't see the cost as "cost per clay", and this thread has certainly shown that really you're paying for:

clays + setup + food and drink + land usage + excitement and banter + "the experience". 

I am looking forward to doing one, when I find an affordable sim day in Hampshire :)

If you can find the right one, with a good bunch of mates, they certainly are a good day out. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve posted before on this but have just come back from one today , quidenham estate in Norfolk , would recommend to anyone , and I think great value , £240 for breakfast , elevenses , proper lunch sit down in the lodge and drinks through the day , four drives two on a peg load then shoot , used just over 300 carts and the birds were presented really well , I would say this is top end and for what you get I don’t think you could beat it ! 

After shooting here I certainly wouldn’t pay any more but with most things I think you get what you pay for with the cheaper ones , guess it’s the difference between a proper driven day or a rough shoot on the farm