Pigeon on Barley !!!!, Good Numbers around the Vale, What about your Area ??

I had a call from the main farm on Tuesday, over 1000 crows in a large area of laid barley, there were a few pigeons among them but not enough to get excited about, 

I stayed for a couple of hours but could not get the crows to come in to decoys, managed only 8 when the rain came down , I called it a day and will be back as soon as it dries out a little. One real problem is access, normally not a problem, but the headlands have not been cut, the nettles and grass are up over the bonnet height on the 4x4, and walking was impossible. I could only get within 200 yards of the worst hit area, and nowhere near any good flight lines.

The peas are still attracting a lot of pigeons with some clearings holding around 50 to 80 birds, access here is much better so I think I will stay on the peas for another week or so and hope the farm gets the headlands cut , if that happens there could be some interesting times to look forward to on these areas of barley, fingers crossed.. 

Edited by lakeside1000

9 hours ago, lakeside1000 said:

I had a call from the main farm on Tuesday, over 1000 crows in a large area of laid barley, there were a few pigeons among them but not enough to get excited about, 

I stayed for a couple of hours but could not get the crows to come in to decoys, managed only 8 when the rain came down , I called it a day and will be back as soon as it dries out a little. One real problem is access, normally not a problem, but the headlands have not been cut, the nettles and grass are up over the bonnet height on the 4x4, and walking was impossible. I could only get within 200 yards of the worst hit area, and nowhere near any good flight lines.

The peas are still attracting a lot of pigeons with some clearings holding around 50 to 80 birds, access here is much better so I think I will stay on the peas for another week or so and hope the farm gets the headlands cut , if that happens there could be some interesting times to look forward to on these areas of barley, fingers crossed.. 

Hi Alan , If anyone can find any Pigeons locally it will be you , I am sure it will only be a matter of time when your reporting a good bag on the Pea stubble or on the laid grain crops .

I had the same problem as you getting around the headlands with the very tall grass and weeds this year , also last year they felled some really old Poplar trees and the small branches seemed to take root and grew like the clappers , some of them were a good six feet high and it wasn't worth damaging  my motor for a few Pigeons , then I had a stroke of luck , the sprayer came down to spray the next door Wheat field and flattened it enough for me to run my motor through , that was a couple of weeks ago , now this week would you believe they cut the same headland as flat as a pancake for when the Pea viner's make a start .

Been out looking today and although we have got some Barley knocked about I saw very little signs of any Pigeon or Crows activity , still a good week or so of being ripe enough . GOOD LUCK

53 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

been out on barley today. some have gone down but going in on it yet, i shot 17 by a pond as they were going over the trees,

Nice little session mossy , around our way they are due to make a start on this years harvest around the last week in July , weather permitting .