Brave Fox??

old'un

• 2 weeks later...

Looks an adult fox to me so I'm fairly sure it has probably been on the wrong end of a sharp beak before, and therefore thought better of it!  There's a reason I wear a leather gauntlet when taking trapped birds out of my Larsens!

Edited by Jim Neal

Beaks and claws on some of these corvids can inflict some nasty cuts, remember a few years back shooting some crows on some maize stubble, went out to pick a crow which I thought was dead, as I bent down to pick it up it flipped over and sunk its claws into my hand, it then set about biting the skin on the back of my hand, every time I got one claw off it grabbed another part of my hand with its other claw, in the end I had to stamp on its head to kill it, had a few nasty cuts from that bird.

7 hours ago, old'un said:

Beaks and claws on some of these corvids can inflict some nasty cuts, remember a few years back shooting some crows on some maize stubble, went out to pick a crow which I thought was dead, as I bent down to pick it up it flipped over and sunk its claws into my hand, it then set about biting the skin on the back of my hand, every time I got one claw off it grabbed another part of my hand with its other claw, in the end I had to stamp on its head to kill it, had a few nasty cuts from that bird.

Been had the same way by a crow.  One got my little finger in its beak as well, jeeeeeesus they've got some power in that thing!!

16 hours ago, oowee said:

Never mind the fox and magpie. Compliments on the garden, very nice indeed. :good:

thank you, took a few years to get it how we wanted it, but a garden is a work in progress, as you more than likely know.

15 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

My guess is the magpie was a fledgling, the fox found it on the ground and then the Benny Hill-esque scenes transpired

Yep, young Magpie, I had seen it down the bottom of the garden a couple of times, it could just about fly, not seen it since the video.