Car tax enforcement

harrycatcat1

4 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I was just wondering how they target these untaxed vehicles as there must be loads?

Do they do it by area? Any ideas?

They're certainly not going to publish it!!

Seen plenty of ANPR vehicles driving round in Bristol.  Not parking your untaxed shed on the road would appear to be the way forward, although there was a thread a while back of someone having, er, difficulties telling the DVLA to go forth and multiply, after they attempted to do him for parking his untaxed vehicle on, er, his drive.  They even sent him a picture of it on his drive, obligingly.

28 minutes ago, claydodger said:

They used to have a brilliant system called Tax Discs !

Yes, in 1950.  Tax discs had many flaws and their time had long since passed by the time they were finally phased out.

About 3 years ago a lad around the corner suddenly parked his old A3 in the lane near our house. Couple of days later a DVLC enforcement van turned up clamped it  and drove off. A bit later an old red van appeared and a young fella emerged with a cordless angle grinder and cut the clamp off. The lad who owned the car then walked round and cash changed hands. The red van drove off, the A3 drove off and I picked up a steel block from the clamp left in the road. We've been using it as a doorstop ever since.

There must be 10s of thousands of people cheating the system and I wonder... How many enforcement vans do they have???

Guess it depends on your force.

Recently we had a car tried a 3 point turn on a single track road, dropped the back wheel in the ditch and couldn’t get out, was half blocking the lane, driver was thought full enough to leave a note inside the car explaining they were getting it recovered later that day, along with thier phone number.

A dvla check showed it as untaxed and no mot, phoned the police and explained this and that it was blocking access down the lane, they kindly rang the owner and asked him to get it moved straight away, It was gone in less than half hour.

6 hours ago, Bigbob said:

we quite often see the motorway ANP car sitting at the local retail park checking the car parks and the delivery drivers insurance 

Not just eating donuts?

Those cars sit outside Liverpool Airport and on a couple of occasions I have been past them in a car that was not taxed or MOT'd without them pulling me.

15 hours ago, 39TDS said:

Not just eating donuts?

Those cars sit outside Liverpool Airport and on a couple of occasions I have been past them in a car that was not taxed or MOT'd without them pulling me.

The wife said when she was in the drive in queue at McDonalds she saw saw them sitting in the same place pulling in the delivery drivers