Radio coms

Guest cookoff013

Guest cookoff013

O wise and ever knowing PW

I recently got into radio communications, normally CB and was thinking about adding a PMR446 mobile set. The main reason would be to communicate with my buddys when we are beach casting, camping, or outdoorsy stuff. Communication would be short, "like put the kettle on" & "no", not broadcasting war and peace.

The options i have are

Mobile CB.  Not sure, they are expensive, highly accesable.

Camping pmr446, - cheap, accessable, not sure about quality of transmit.

Digital pmr. Alittle more expensive, clear audio.

Baofeng pmr446 - cheap and analogue, aparently really good.

messenger Pigeons, clean up, and have to feed them.

Anyone have opinion?

Many current mobile phone contracts offer much more than they used to - and can include unlimited minutes (subject to no single call being longer than ?? minutes - and UK only) and including to other mobiles.  The downside is that it is '1 to 1' rather than one to several if you have several pals fishing with you.

I used to use CBs when off roading, cheap and effective. The only draw back is they're vehicle mounted only. The handheld CBs are useless. Most CBs have around 40 - 80 channels, so chat can be kept reasonably private. Costs vary but plan on at least £50 - £80 per set up for cheapest.

On my perm I use a small PMR as the mobile phone signal is not consistent. They're effective and unlike a mobile phone you don't have to answer to hear the message. Also one push to talk and you can just put out a few words. ie: birds coming your way. It's a large perm and my son can be 2 or 3 miles away decoying or recceing other areas. The drawback is they are noisey and when the push to talk button is released play a short annoying bleep. It can't be turned off. A nearby garden centre about 4/5 miles away uses similar, and with only 4 channels to pick from we often have to go up or down to avoid their incessant innane chatter. Cost about £20 for 2 from Argos. 

Pigeons are unreliable and like text messages have to be read, if they're not shot first.

You could always try semaphore or just get a mate with a big gob.

My thoughts based on having used most of your options:

Mobile CB.  Not sure, they are expensive, highly accesable. - very open channels and subject to interference. Handsets not that cheap.

Camping pmr446, - cheap, accessable, not sure about quality of transmit.  - got some Motorola ones that work ok with line of sight - maybe half a mile. use them for pigeon shooting and very useful. Can still get channel interference but far less that CB.

Digital pmr. Alittle more expensive, clear audio.- certainly a step up on the camping ones - better range and usually a better power output. More expensive.

Baofeng pmr446 - cheap and analogue, aparently really good. - certainly worth a punt for the money but might be similar to the camping 446 quality

messenger Pigeons, clean up, and have to feed them. - better on the BBQ

Walkie-Talkie type radios can be good fun to use as well and you can get some chat and banter going.

Another option with mobile phones is to set up a WhatsApp group and you all message on that. 

Guest cookoff013

Cheers guys.

dpmr might be an option. I found some that have vox. And i can set them up so my mates can just yell at the unit.

not ideal but sub 1km is ideal

I had a minor accident once, the problem was that I was wet, cold and in too much pain to move and, as the mobile phone signal didn't work there I was screwed.

So, after some research I went for the cheap and cheerful Baofeng, which works perfectly and which has a great battery life. We went for the licenced system, which suits us better because it allows us to configure it so that we contact the Coastguard in an emergency (we're near the coast) but of course different people have different needs.