Pigeons vs Crows

SLWC

Just thought I'd ask the question.

Who prefers crow shooting to pigeons?

I enjoy both but somehow seem more 'satisfied' when i shoot a good bag of crows.

Some are stupid & glide in but most are very warey & I enjoy the challenge of calling them in.

Intereste in others thoughts.

Steve

55 minutes ago, SLWC said:

Just thought I'd ask the question.

Who prefers crow shooting to pigeons?

I enjoy both but somehow seem more 'satisfied' when i shoot a good bag of crows.

Some are stupid & glide in but most are very warey & I enjoy the challenge of calling them in.

Intereste in others thoughts.

Steve

Corvid's all the time, owing to the carnage they cause to sheep/lambs and ground nesting / tree nesting birds.

Edited by steve_b_wales

I've yet to see any stupid crows I find them intelligent, incredibly sharp eyed and very wary. They will often overfly, circle round out of range before warily commiting. Even then I find the tiniest movement is enough to spook them. Once a murder is spooked it can be hours before they return.

1st thing in the morning, when you're ambushing a spot for the first time, they can be relatively unwary and easy to mop up as long as you remain undetected.

As the morning progress though, they get more difficult to come to terms with and a second trip is always much harder work.

For satisfaction .. crows

For variety of shots (and dare I say enjoyment), pigeons.

Edited by Smokersmith

I prefer Pigeons than Crows by a mile , Like the man above we used to shoot them first thing in the morning and at this time of the year we would often be set up by 4am , when I say Crows the bags were a mixture of Crows , Rooks and Jackdaws , we had a rubbish tip not far from our fields which was over run with Corvids , our fields at the time was cut for hay and we would make a hide out of the small bails in the middle of the field so we could decoy in any wind direction , our set up to start off with was a dead Pigeon with some feathers pulled out and two decoys Crows standing within a few feet of the Pigeon , the first ones would sail in and hover over the decoys , not the most difficult of shots , as the bag increased the dead ones were just laid belly down on the cut grass , if at the time we had enough money to buy a good amount of cartridges we could had made some very big bags but to spend our hard earnt money on cartridges and chuck the bag of Crows ect in the tip didn't really appeal to us , as it were we would limit our selves to 50 shells each and would normally dump around 60/70 out of 100 shells , everyone to there own I suppose .

It's a really good question and one I've posed to myself at times with an answer, but the comments above are my experiences too and find crows the hardest to get it range by a country mile, they are very very clever but had an unusual experience a few months ago which blows this theory away. . . . .  It was early Feb and 100's of crows were feeding on Maize, I had been a couple of days in a row and setup within the crop and had a couple of decent bags ( 20-ish per visit ) then I went the next day and there was a really bitter wind blowing and the crop was elevated so didn't fancy setting up where I wanted so took the dog and my cartridge bag near to a duck pond where I saw their flight line was, I sat on my gun slip behind a tuft of grass about 2 foot tall with the dog between my legs so not exactly well hidden and I tell you all it was a bloodbath, my barrels were red hot ( which was nice and comfortable TBH ) and spent 50 shells and the dog picked 37 which puts hide/decoys/clever crows out of all proportion and swayed me towards crows being position my favourite sport this year

All, thanks for your replies.

I decide to sit in a hide on a flight line between a pig rearing unit & a field of recently lifted peas early saturday morning.

I had every type of target from slow floating in carrion crows to groups of 4 or 6 jackdaws doing their best impression of a stuka coming in & a teal going back out.

After packing up with 110 in the back of the Navara, I still cant decide!

What I did learn however is....never underestimate the potential of a good day & always go prepared for a red letter day.

Ran out of cartridges with 88 down for 150. Nipped home for an extra 50 carts.

Plan is to try on the pigeons this saturday & see if I can make a decision.

Steve