Lime tree bases

ShootingEgg

I have 5 Lime trees running along part of the garden, two I've been able to get rid of the branches coming up off the roots, but have three that are more like small trees coming out of the ground at the base.. I want to be able to remove all this and tidy up the bases. Any one got any hints or tips. The trees have been pollarded by previous owners and are a great privacy screen for us so don't want to take them out 

Cheers

Yeah see these have been left to do as they please for about 7 years prior to us moving in last year. So it's a bit of a mess .. 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Like any coppice it requires attention every so often and you will just have to keep trimming any basal shoots as they appear.  I see trees pollarded and trimmed in our own village and done very well but they have to be re done every four or five years to kep them tidy.

Back to basics then. Pollard them hard. Obviously without actually seeing them it is difficult to be precise. They will look a bit bare for a month or two but should grow back fairly quickly and you can then control future growth.  I have just had to have a large weeping willow pollarded hard and in just a few weeks it already as new growth three foot long.  Looks a bit scruff at the moment but I think by this time next year it well look much better and tidier.

39 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

I thought with suckers you where better ripping them off ?. 

Alot of the ones I have won't rip. As I say it's been left to ruin for years. Previous owners left the house in a right state. We brought it as a project and it's definitely become one of them... Full rewire, full redo of the heating and plumbing systems. Every room needs something doing before it can be decorated. The garden I started when lockdown hit and we had that good weather. Still have alot of work to do .. will be never ending haha