Tricky bag on some peas

GingerCat

Jdog kindly took me on some peas earlier. The field is on top of the wolds, sloping down some 400m with a road running across the top with a thick hedge. About 2 miles into the distance and apart from the wonderful view, is a thick mature wood. 

This was going to be awkward. Mostly because the line was 200m or so long with birds appearing over the hedge and plummeting towards a patch some where far into the distance. We sat with out back to the hedge, wind in our faces and a rotary some 15 yards out.  There was no other way to shoot it. 

The pea crop was mature  dense and not far from ready but the birds had done some damage that was clear. 

The first 8 minutes yielded 5 birds. The next 2 hours involving frantically scanning all over as we would have no warning and only time to take a snap shot. The dog bagged a nice double and we both had some great birds. I think the total shot was somewhere in the 20's without any trouble but even with jasper the mad man we only picked around half that. All in all it was throughly enjoyable but exhausting 2 hours.

Sounds like an exciting couple of hours shooting & it's good to read these reports when there are no opportunities in my neck of the woods as yet. However I would have to pull you up on your grammar GingerCat....  Surely the ever faithful Jasper could not be described as 'mad'? It would be an insult to his equally faithful owner. I think what has happened is that you've left out an 'and' after the word Jasper?

2 hours ago, pbutd said:

Sounds like an exciting couple of hours shooting & it's good to read these reports when there are no opportunities in my neck of the woods as yet. However I would have to pull you up on your grammar GingerCat....  Surely the ever faithful Jasper could not be described as 'mad'? It would be an insult to his equally faithful owner. I think what has happened is that you've left out an 'and' after the word Jasper?

He is mad. Nowadays he is mainly a house dog but Barney was at death's door three days ago so I couldn't take him.

You have no opportunities because you shot them all on the beans in the spring. Lucky you.

I have a field of peas not far away with 500 pigeons on it every day. I have shot this field several times in the company of three of Pigeon Watch's finest and the bag has never exceeded twenty. Not once in the past month has there been a prevailing wind which I consider to be the only wind that would reap rewards there.