Introduction to course fishing

Dave at kelton

So a pal of mines 8 year old grandson is into everything country sports and loves his fishing. He had a couple of unsuccessful goes at the local course fishery but mum and nana not much help. Offered to help and took him along today as schools over up here. Set up on one of the ponds that I know has a good head of roach and lumped in my special ground bait mix. He was soon into a little roach and was really chuffed. We fished through the day and bar a few quiet spells were getting bites throughout. He eventually hit a good fish and after a tussle landed a 3 lb ish bream. I didn’t even know there were any in that pond. Any way we finished the day with 37 fish including 5 bream and lost one monster that we couldn’t even get to the surface throwing the hook after a few minutes.

one very happy and tired young lad deposited back at Nanna’s with a promise to try for the carp next time. A born fisherman who never lost concentration throughout the day.

3FAF0B2F-8331-4D7B-8A60-BE5C9FE122B7.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

So a pal of mines 8 year old grandson is into everything country sports and loves his fishing. He had a couple of unsuccessful goes at the local course fishery but mum and nana not much help. Offered to help and took him along today as schools over up here. Set up on one of the ponds that I know has a good head of roach and lumped in my special ground bait mix. He was soon into a little roach and was really chuffed. We fished through the day and bar a few quiet spells were getting bites throughout. He eventually hit a good fish and after a tussle landed a 3 lb ish bream. I didn’t even know there were any in that pond. Any way we finished the day with 37 fish including 5 bream and lost one monster that we couldn’t even get to the surface throwing the hook after a few minutes.

one very happy and tired young lad deposited back at Nanna’s with a promise to try for the carp next time. A born fisherman who never lost concentration throughout the day.

3FAF0B2F-8331-4D7B-8A60-BE5C9FE122B7.jpeg

Good work, It's great to pass on knowledge and tips to youngsters, especially when they show  a genuine interest, I always try to pass on snippets of info on wildlife to youngsters when beating, bird identification etc.

43 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

one very happy and tired young lad deposited back at Nanna’s with a promise to try for the carp next time. A born fisherman who never lost concentration throughout the day

Fantastic,  I still remember going fishing as a lad,  but I wouldn't bother with carp,  I was always much happier catching lots of small fish than a few carp.

My kids have asked a few times about fishing and we'll go at some point, I've got all the gear but no idea these days 😅😅

6 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Fantastic,  I still remember going fishing as a lad,  but I wouldn't bother with carp,  I was always much happier catching lots of small fish than a few carp.

My kids have asked a few times about fishing and we'll go at some point, I've got all the gear but no idea these days 😅😅

One of the ponds has a reasonable head of roach and a few small carp about 3-5ib that usually put in an appearance so that would be perfect. I agree I wouldn’t sit all day or night for the chance of one good fish. I think the trick with youngsters is to keep them catching or at least getting plenty of bites.

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

One of the ponds has a reasonable head of roach and a few small carp about 3-5ib that usually put in an appearance so that would be perfect. I agree I wouldn’t sit all day or night for the chance of one good fish. I think the trick with youngsters is to keep them catching or at least getting plenty of bites.

100% some of the best days we had were catching small perch for hours, it was always 50p for the first, 50p for the biggest and 50p for the most, happy memories.

Still always nice to catch something big, but starting out I'd want quantity over quality.