Multi-tool with decent wire cutter

243deer

Does a reliable multi-tool that will cope with cutting multi strand high tensile heavy guage electric fence wire exist?

Looking for opinions of folk that have used the tool for this task multiple times and how long/how many cuts the blades can last for please.

6 hours ago, Dougy said:

Doubt it, you would be better off getting a cutter specifically for steel rope, quicker and neater.  I think you will struggle cutting through multi strand with a multitool cutter. 

I agree.

I've carried a leatherman since it's inception and a leatherman wave for just 23 years (I know that cos the guarantee is 25) it has had several differant parts replaced under warranty through Whitby knives.

The wave still cuts barbed wire and razor wire with ease, I've used it on multi strand and had a clean cut but I wouldn't want to make a habit of it. Anything thicker than couple of mm and I think it would struggle and crush the cut.

A multitool is a convenience tool rather than a specific tool. A get you by to save weight.

Some of the Leatherman tools now have replaceable cutter blades.  I'm not sure how well they work/last as I don't use mine much - too inconvenient as the cutter blades are recessed down inside the plier jaws. 

As others have said the Knipex range are very good for dedicated cutters  https://www.knipex.com/products/cutting-pliers?f[0]=category%3A22964&search_api_fulltext=&sort_by=sku&items_per_page=40&page=0

12 hours ago, Dougy said:

Doubt it, you would be better off getting a cutter specifically for steel rope, quicker and neater.  I think you will struggle cutting through multi strand with a multitool cutter. 

I agree, I use a cheap pair of Draper wire cutters, available from Amazon, small enough to put in your pocket. They cut 5mm stranded wire and 1.5mm spring wire.

Thanks for the replies folks. I have plenty of good dedicated wire cutters but they have a habit of walking off the tractor whereas my cheap multi-tool sits on my belt and is very useful and always there for the myriad of little jobs around the farm, I was living in hope really that the more expensive multi-tools might have becomd more worthwhile and useful.

3 hours ago, Dougy said:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-cable-wire-cutters-7-190mm/1645x

These are what i am referring to. These will make cutting multi strand wire a cinch, no twisting, gripping turning the multi tool plier type cutter to get through what your wanting to cut. 

Edited to add the correct link. 

They are the same as the Draper from Amazon, at £11.56. Really efficient cut. 👍