Run of bad luck.

steve_b_wales

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 03/07/2021 at 11:24, steve_b_wales said:

Well, these past 9 months have not been the best for me. First, last November, I had a large'ish Kidney stone that was very painful. Then, in December, I caught the Covid 19 virus. My right knee has bad arthritis in it, I've recently been diagnosed with a tendon impingement in my left shoulder, and now, I've got a Hernia in my groin! Oh, and I'm also having further tests for Prostate cancer, although it's hoped that everything will be okay. Apart from that (I think) I'm okay!!!!

I was diagnosed with Prostrate Cancer about 13 years ago, it was scary and unpleasant at the time but everything worked out very well, it usually does if caught early.

So, as JDog said, if you do need treatment then get on with it!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Well, after seeing my GP and getting confirmation that I have a Hernia in my groin, he told me that he would put me on the referral list (NHS) to see a consultant. He said that it could initially take 'up to a year' to see him and 'a further two years' before I could get the operation. I cannot wait that long, and decided to pay privately. Yesterday, I paid to see a consultant at a private hospital and a ten minute consultation cost me £180. He said that it would take a maximum of six weeks before I get the op' and the cost will be £3340. I will 'reluctantly' pay this, despite paying N.I. contributions for the past 48 years! I am not knocking the NHS, they are overworked and underpaid. I'm just annoyed that I have to go down this route. If It were a less painful 'problem' I would try and wait.

A friend has followed a similar route, she has suffered from lipedema for many years and was struggling at work as a paramedic but the NHS would not treat her so she went to Prague and had it done privately there as it was cheaper by about 50% than the UK even though she had to pay for two to travel and all the checks and accommodation.

Hope you get well soon

Thanks.

To try and alleviate the pain until I get the operation, first of all I purchased a 'Hernia Truss' which, although kept the hernia 'in' the strap that goes in between my legs, ended up rubbing the skin, even when worn outside underwear, so that was no good. Today, I had a pair of Hernia boxer shorts delivered, at a cost of £40. These are basically a tight pair of boxer shorts with pouches on both sides of the groin area, which allowed the foam inserts to be fitted. I tried it earlier while out, and it's rubbish. The foam (polystyrene) insert eventually makes it way out of the pouch and doesn't stay in place to keep the hernia in. So, so far, I wasted £22 on the Truss, and now £40 for the boxer shorts. I also paid out £17 for two pairs of knee length cycle shorts, thinking that as they are tight, they would help in keeping the hernia from coming out. Again, these didn't work. All in all, this bloody hernia is going to cost me a fair bit!

6 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Thanks.

To try and alleviate the pain until I get the operation, first of all I purchased a 'Hernia Truss' which, although kept the hernia 'in' the strap that goes in between my legs, ended up rubbing the skin, even when worn outside underwear, so that was no good. Today, I had a pair of Hernia boxer shorts delivered, at a cost of £40. These are basically a tight pair of boxer shorts with pouches on both sides of the groin area, which allowed the foam inserts to be fitted. I tried it earlier while out, and it's rubbish. The foam (polystyrene) insert eventually makes it way out of the pouch and doesn't stay in place to keep the hernia in. So, so far, I wasted £22 on the Truss, and now £40 for the boxer shorts. I also paid out £17 for two pairs of knee length cycle shorts, thinking that as they are tight, they would help in keeping the hernia from coming out. Again, these didn't work. All in all, this bloody hernia is going to cost me a fair bit!

If the hernia shorts basically work and the main problem is the foam insert coming out, is it worth sewing the top of the pouch up or putting a fastener of some sort on it like velcro or a press stud.

Hope you soon get it sorted out Steve whatever route you decide to take .

As you know it will be two weeks tomorrow since I had mine done , each day is a slight improvement and I can now walk reasonably well , the area still sting a fair bit but I don't get the pain like I did before the op .

I was a brick layer and if I was still working it would be a few weeks before I would be well enough to bend a lot and to pick up heavy concrete blocks.

I did read up where it would take up to six weeks , the chap I took Pigeon shooting Saturday had his done about three years ago when he was 48 , his took a bit longer to heal up and he went back to work as a carpenter after eight weeks .

GOOD LUCK    MM

57 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

If the hernia shorts basically work and the main problem is the foam insert coming out, is it worth sewing the top of the pouch up or putting a fastener of some sort on it like velcro or a press stud.

I tried the Hernia boxer shorts on a good walk earlier this evening. I put two foam pads in to try and compress the hernia, and it didn't work. If I coughed or sneezed, it was painful, as the hernia was not compressed. I did think of fitting velcro or something to seal the pads in, but as they didn't work, I won't bother.  Another £40 down the drain as far as I'm concerned. 

21 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I tried the Hernia boxer shorts on a good walk earlier this evening. I put two foam pads in to try and compress the hernia, and it didn't work. If I coughed or sneezed, it was painful, as the hernia was not compressed. I did think of fitting velcro or something to seal the pads in, but as they didn't work, I won't bother.  Another £40 down the drain as far as I'm concerned. 

Is it something that lin could sew in for you Steve? , or maybe fit a zip ?.

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Is it something that lin could sew in for you Steve? , or maybe fit a zip ?.

Hi Mel. To be honest, Angela said the same thing about sewing the pouch or similar. I'll try it again when out walking and see how it goes. Thanks for the offer, much appreciated and I'll keep you in mind.🙂🙂🙂🙂

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Well, after reluctantly deciding to go private for my hernia operation, I have just been given the date of August 12th to have it done. I would have rather gone with the NHS as I have always supported them from both sides of the coin. But the nature of it, the pain I'm in, and the work that I do, meant that I cannot wait up to '3 years' for the operation. It's going to cost the best part of £3500. 

34 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

It's going to cost the best part of £3500.

Health is wealth, as the saying goes.

Time and health are priceless, anything else is just a matter of money.

I don't think you need to have some kind of guilt about going private when whatever you think of the NHS (and multiple opinions are available); you need to get on with your life.

Further, even if you're the NHS' biggest supporter, you do them a disservice by just quietly going private.  Write to your MP.  Talk to citizen's advice.  Just being stoic and British about it ("Mustn't complain"), helps no-one in the long run.

3 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

UPDATE:

Well, after reluctantly deciding to go private for my hernia operation, I have just been given the date of August 12th to have it done. I would have rather gone with the NHS as I have always supported them from both sides of the coin. But the nature of it, the pain I'm in, and the work that I do, meant that I cannot wait up to '3 years' for the operation. It's going to cost the best part of £3500. 

Glad the waiting is now in sight Steve and the sooner you get it done the better you will start feeling , you will always remember the date as the Glorious Twelfth , the start of the Grouse shooting season . 

4 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

UPDATE:

Thank god you're getting it done on the 12th Steve,  we're at the woodland on the 13th , and I've got you down for loading logs into the car , I'm sure 24 hours will be enough time to get over it.😢

I'm glad you're getting it sorted mate , even if it is expensive . You shouldn't have to wait three years when you're in pain. If we can be of any kind of assistance,  you know where we are mate 👍.

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

Thank god you're getting it done on the 12th Steve,  we're at the woodland on the 13th , and I've got you down for loading logs into the car , I'm sure 24 hours will be enough time to get over it.😢

I'm glad you're getting it sorted mate , even if it is expensive . You shouldn't have to wait three years when you're in pain. If we can be of any kind of assistance,  you know where we are mate 👍.

Thanks Mel. The hardest part for me will be 'taking things easy' as that's not me. I'm having issues in work at the moment regarding training that I'm supposed to doing ( I'll send you a message about it) but hopefully all will be okay. The operation will take a maximum of one hour, according to the consultant. I'm tempted to do it myself, bottle of vodka, stanley knife and stapler, which would save me a few bob!🙂

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

Thanks Mel. The hardest part for me will be 'taking things easy' as that's not me. I'm having issues in work at the moment regarding training that I'm supposed to doing ( I'll send you a message about it) but hopefully all will be okay. The operation will take a maximum of one hour, according to the consultant. I'm tempted to do it myself, bottle of vodka, stanley knife and stapler, which would save me a few bob!🙂

That would make a brilliant wattsapp video 😅

2 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

The operation will take a maximum of one hour, according to the consultant

I was in and out in the afternoon going back  probably 26 years, that's what makes you wonder why such a long wait.

Does your work not have any sort of insurance that could pay towards the opp, I'm thinking you have done the injury working?

2 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Hi Steve dont know you      take it easy and heal     work will always be there    find a  hobby you always wanted to do and didn't   and rest   

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

I was in and out in the afternoon going back  probably 26 years, that's what makes you wonder why such a long wait.

Does your work not have any sort of insurance that could pay towards the opp, I'm thinking you have done the injury working?

Sadly not. The hernia just 'happened' while walking casually, and I was told that it had been probably been building up for a long time. I have insurance for loss of earnings through injury/illness but I have to be off work for a month before I can make a claim. 

5 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Sadly not. The hernia just 'happened' while walking casually, and I was told that it had been probably been building up for a long time. I have insurance for loss of earnings through injury/illness but I have to be off work for a month before I can make a claim. 

If you are moving people around you will likely need a month off anyway to let it heal properly,  take it easy.